Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2018, 08:33 AM   #15

MetalGator,

I remember our first trip with our new MH and had a similar thing occur. Raining cats and dogs, could barely seen where to back in at campground.

Hit the autoleveler button, ran out the slides, made dinner, and didn't get wet. It's camping without going outside!
mbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2018, 10:28 AM   #16

In addition, from a "fix it" point of view, a tow vehicle is much easier to work on than a class A. Another consideration could be if you choose to tow anything, boats, bikes, etc. and have the RV along, it would be more difficult to do with a trailer than a MH.

I think towing was the deciding factor in our decision to first have TC's (close to 40 years) that we towed about everything imaginable with, and now a shorter class A (about 3 years). We also had a few tent trailers along the way, but I didn't care much for them.

As mentioned being able to stay inside, and having the facilities available whenever desired/needed was important also. It didn't take me long to add a "boot" between the camper and truck to provide that. It wasn't as convenient as having a class A, but it worked. Parking for the night or "having to go" during a midwest thunderstorm brought that to our attention.

At the end of it all, IMHO, there is no perfect RV. It's a matter of deciding what is most important to you, and compromising.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:33 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Let me put it this way and I think some are missing the main reason for a class A. Since purchasing the Class A i've yet to have to pull over so my wife can go to the bathroom, she just goes in the back. Which has cut a bunch of time off travel days!! That alone make it worthwhile!!!
Old 03-01-2018, 05:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Whatever you think works the best for you, works the best for you.
I think this post belongs in the iRV2 Hall of Fame.

Gas vs diesel; new vs used; Brand X vs SOB. The list goes on. However, what would us old farts have to do on a slow winter day?
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:54 AM   #19

I would like to talk about the cost of ownership . We are in our 70's . We do snowbird and in the summer we camp with the grand kids .We have , like many of you , everything from tents to class A's . We had a diesel 3/4 ton that was starting to have high maintenance costs and needed replaced . Also our 5th wheel needed updated for our needs . A new or new enough 3/4 or 1 ton diesel would have been a minimum of $60,000 . A new or newer 5th wheel would have been $50,000 at least . So $110,000 minimum but maybe more . The wives car also was getting old (1998 Lincoln) . So another used vehicle maybe $15,000 . Now we are up to $125,000 minimum. We thought it all through and looked and looked . We ended up buying a great used gas MH that was maintained with records . We paid about $32,000 and put some updates of about $4,000 . I kept the old truck for me to drive around locally . I bought her a used car that doubles as a toad for $14,000 (2014 Buick Verano) . I bought a new dolly for $1500 . So we have a great MH with a dolly and the wive got a great almost new car she loves ! We are all in for with less than $52,000 . Now I realize things could happen with the MH . BUT I could put a new motor in it for $11,000 installed . This worked for us . Just saying .
Old 03-01-2018, 11:52 AM   #20

Our situation is different than 1st's in that we almost always have a boat with us. I don't want to tie it onto the back of a trailer so a motorhome or truck camper are the options. The TC is too small so that leaves the MH as our best choice.

The drawbacks are that the MH requires more maintenance and costs more to operate. Insurance and annual license renewal are more on the MH than what they would be on a trailer. Myself, i'd opt for a 5th wheel if the boat wasn't in the mix.

Tags
class a, gas, tow, towing, trailer, travel, travel trailer