Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2019, 04:06 PM   #1

Towing Tiffin Motorhome

I have a 2014 Tiffin Allegro RED. 34 feet. diesel pusher. I broke a line from the Allison transmission to the transmission cooler. So all the fluid has drained out. No damage since the engine was shut off immediately. It is sitting in a parking lot, and has to be towed 100 miles to a garage, Question how should it be towed? It has the airbag suspension, so I know about the stumper. But can it be towed with the rear wheels on the ground with no fluid in the transmission? Won't the transmission be turning inside while being towed, unlubricated?
surferskir is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2019, 04:15 PM   #2

SOP requires that the driveshaft or axles be removed. Any competent tow operator should know this as well as how to connect to the air system. BTW, on a FL chassis, they can't connect to the fitting in the front DS bay if your coach has one.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:28 PM   #3

Towing TIffin Motorhome

It is a rear diesel pusher, so no drive shaft.
So even if the tow truck operator connects to the air brake system, can it be towed with the rear wheels on the ground with the transmission turning from the rotation of the wheels when there is no lubrication in the transmission. Seems to me that the transmission could be damaged.
I know most cars and trucks (automatic transmission) cannot be towed with rear wheels on the ground because transmission will be damaged. So I was wondering about Allison transmissions.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:29 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
My rear Diesel pusher has a driveshaft. Short one but still there and was removed when I had to be towed.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:27 PM   #5

Guarantee you there is a driveshaft..If they do not pull it you will be replacing the transmission, or at least completely rebuilding it. If a tow truck hooked to my motorhome and did not want to pull the driveshaft. he would be unhooking right there.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:38 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes, there is a driveshaft less than 2' long. Be sure the tow operator marks the position of the driveshaft before it's removed so it can be put back in the same orientation.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:08 AM   #7

Might want to tape the u joint caps also or you may need new u joints.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:12 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Yes, there is a driveshaft less than 2' long. Be sure the tow operator marks the position of the driveshaft before it's removed so it can be put back in the same orientation.

Yup, important. I had to have mine towed, wrecker driver pulled driveshaft (he knew what he was doing). And left it next to the rig when he dropped it off at Cummins. Cumming however did not put it back in time when they reinstalled. When I drove it home I know something was wrong, there was an odd vibration, and checked, sure enough, had to take it out and put it back in time.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:43 AM   #9

Towing TIffin Motorhome

THANX everyone for the advice and information. Now I know.
I thought the connection to the rear axle was like a old VW transaxle setup in the rear of the coach!
Thanx again.
Signing off.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferskir View Post
THANX everyone for the advice and information. Now I know.
I thought the connection to the rear axle was like a old VW transaxle setup in the rear of the coach!
Thanx again.
Signing off.
Well I'm to late. Why not call a portable truck repair, fix it where it sits? Less chance of damage, probably fixed for price of tow...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:52 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferskir View Post
It is a rear diesel pusher, so no drive shaft.
So even if the tow truck operator connects to the air brake system, can it be towed with the rear wheels on the ground with the transmission turning from the rotation of the wheels when there is no lubrication in the transmission. Seems to me that the transmission could be damaged.
I know most cars and trucks (automatic transmission) cannot be towed with rear wheels on the ground because transmission will be damaged. So I was wondering about Allison transmissions.
Never seen a DP without a drive shaft
Old 08-04-2019, 07:52 PM   #12

Don't you have Coachnet or FMCA towing coverage? If so call them, they know who to send to tow the coach, with the proper equipment and knowledgeable people.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:01 PM   #13

I'm pretty sure the tow truck driver will know what to do to tow it.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
Well I'm to late. Why not call a portable truck repair, fix it where it sits? Less chance of damage, probably fixed for price of tow...
Yes
I agree.
It should be a quick fix.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, tiffin, tow, towing