Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's all about having the correct tire pressure. If you are losing air, the pressure goes down and if you keep going you will throw the tread. Who cares what the temperature is unless you have a Workhorse with dragging brakes. If I lose 10% of my tire pressure, the alarm sounds, I stop and fix the tire. The tire temperature will vary as to the road surface temps which will increase the tire pressure as the heat goes up. For me the tire temp is a bit like having an ashtray on a Motorcycle..
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
I am looking for one that sticks out like a sore thumb that would be heating up due to a potential problem.
...which is exactly what anyone is looking for whether they are looking at an infrared hand-held readin, or a sensor-on-the-valve-stem reading, or a sensor-inside-the-tire reading. I also use an infrared at stops, and the temp reading I get varies depending on whether I read it on the tread peaks, tread valleys, sidewall, wheel, or whatever gives me a thrill. Regardless of which system I am using, I read temps at the same place on each tire and compare similar tires (front, inside dual, outside dual). It's just one more tool to help you spot a potential problem. NONE of this stuff will save you from a catastrophic tire failure/blowout, but might help you detect a gradual tire failure in time to avoid a resulting blowout, or to detect a bad wheel bearing (particularly on a trailer or toad).
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:08 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
...don't suppose you sell those things do you UK Gordo? ...sounds like snake oil to me. I don't believe anything would improve the ride, handling and steering of my coach (much less a tire balancing gizmo) ...and I have no idea what noise I would need to reduce either... call me cynical I guess...
Nope, I don't sell em, But they do work !

I met a fellow class A guy at a camping World who also owns a large commercial discount tyre dealership, he said he has been fitting lots of these to commercial trucks and busses as they have proved to increase their tyre life & reduce their down time, and if I cared to drive to his shop he would fit some for free to try out on our Diplomat and if I liked them I pay for them, & if afterwords, I changed my mind he would just take them off again give back the money.

I thought it seemed like a fair deal even though I too was wary of yet another "Gizmo" as you call it, ...but, it was either stay visiting with my Wife's Sister or go for a drive and try em out.....So I did and I liked them.

For the record I have no connection to this product at all other than I am an Engineer and tech and I have worked for most of my life in the truck, bus and heavy equipment world and I was intrigued to see if these would work.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
I heard TPMS temps are derived from PSI variations, and are not a direct temp sensor reading.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
TPMS Can save your life and save you from a catastrophic tire failure. If your tire pressure goes down 10% you are probably headed for a failure. Whats the big deal. If you can afford it , buy it.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:27 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post

TPMS Can save your life and save you from a catastrophic tire failure.

If you can afford it , buy it.
I had a catastrophic tire failure on my cargo trailer just outside of Whitehorse, Yukon. If I had not had my Doran TPMS to notify me of the tire blowout, I would have continued down the road unaware as the adjacent tire was still OK and the trailer didn't even flinch. However, I am sure that the wheel well of the trailer would have been torn to pieces as there was a 3 foot piece of tread still hanging from the surface of the tire slapping around and the other tire would have eventually given up as it would have heated up quickly and not have been able to support the additional weight.

I will not leave home without my TPMS on and working, the same as I will not drive without my seat belt fasten.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
I heard TPMS temps are derived from PSI variations, and are not a direct temp sensor reading.
my TST TRUCK system gives both readouts continuously, even at night when temperatures sometimes fall below freezing. my older system with non-replaceable batteries has been working well for about 3 years.
the newer systems have replaceable batteries.

FAQs
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote