Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2023, 11:05 AM   #1

TPMS problem-Inside dually valve leaks

Just installed a new TST TPMS on our Open Road. Five of the cap sensors went on OK and work great, but can't get the passenger side dually sensor to seat. The sensor goes on, the air comes out, but the sensor will not screw on far enough to stop the air leak. I've tried 5 different sensors on the valve, and all have the same result. Steel extension on the inner tire, and when I removed the valve core I expected the tire air to come out. But, none did. Any ideas on what the problem could be? Thanks!
Trentkd5ia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2023, 03:37 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yea . . . Get rid of the extensions. I had the same issue . . . Most are junk and cause nothing but problems.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 03:45 PM   #3

Agree--many valve extensions don't seem to play well with TPMS systems/caps. Ideal solution is a single piece valve-stem, but they are hard to find with the proper length for a given application.
PS--believe TST offers a different length cap depressor peg for this issue--sold separately of course.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 06:50 PM   #4

I agree with the previous replies. If you must use an extension, screw it onto the sensor just long enough to add air, then remove it and place in your tool box until needed again, which for me is 2X a year since I adhere to the Federal Tire Placard in the vehicle.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 09:18 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree you may have a bad extension. But you should try it on the other side first. Also, the question is, how centered the extension exits the outer wheel. Does it cause the sensor to hit against the inside of the outer wheel? By swapping the extension with the other side you will verify if it is actually bad or if the threads on the valve steam are bad. I have had to replace a brand-new solid extension that is the reason for buying 2 sets of them.
Old 06-09-2023, 07:49 PM   #6

Try that extension on another valve stem along with the TPMS to see if it works.
The extension has a small rod that goes down to the valve stem valve. If the rod in the extension is too long, it may not let the TPMS to seat properly. If that's the case, the same thing will happen on another valve stem.

The tire you're having trouble with may have a slightly different valve in the stem that doesn't depress quite as much as the others. That may also keep the TPMS from properly seating.

When you removed the valve (I assume from the extension) no air will come out because the valve will still be closed in the original valve stem below the extension. An extension isn't pressurized until you're either checking pressure or adding air. If you add a TPMS, it will hold all valves open to measure the pressure, so the extension will be pressurized all the time.

Do you know for sure if the air is leaking at the TPMS, or is it at the base of the extension?
Old 06-13-2023, 09:16 AM   #7

I agree with others that it's probably related to the extension. Consider replacing your valve stems and extensions with all metal stems, LIKE THIS. They require dismounting the tires, as they install from the inside, but they should solve this problem pretty much permanently.
Old 06-14-2023, 07:16 AM   #8

Thanks!

Thanks for all the responses and good ideas!
The extensions are rigid and metal, and the sensor works on other tires.
We'll be getting new tires next week anyway, so I'll get some new extensions for the duallies.

Safe travelling!
Trentkd5ia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, leaks, problem, tpms, valve