Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2011, 12:15 PM   #1

Smile Traveling without towing a vehicle.

We are planning a trip out west. We are not going to tow a vehicle. Does anyone know if there will be alot of problems parking at places to eat or sight see. We have a 38' ultrasport motorhome. Plan is to go thru the upper part of Texas, New Mexico and up to the Grand Canyon and on to Vegas. Any help would be appreciated.
jjb4100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2011, 12:33 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
That was part of my route in 2007 8 & 2009. We towed a 2002 civic 4 down and I would encourage you to consider it. If you are dead set on not towing, I am sure you will find plenty of parking, since towing will not hinder you.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #3

It can certainly be done.

Many restaurants at interstate exits have special provisions for trucks/RVs. I frequent Cracker Barrel, Longhorn Steakhouse, and the like. They almost always have easy, drive through parking.

Sightseeing locales also seem to cater to RV'ers and our parking needs.

Otherwise; I have become quite skilled at threading a motorhome through the eye of a needle. It's just necessary sometimes no matter how hard we try to avoid such situations. I get a mini rush everytime I put the beast somewhere she shouldn't rightfully fit...without hitting anything

Get out on the road and enjoy the trip and don't worry about the potential problems. This is a big Country with most things and places being proportionally large. The problems you plan for won't happen anyway....it's always stuff out of left field.

2004 Country Coach Magna Chalet/ Cat C15
Samdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #4

Brave man.... must have lots of patience ....... nice understanding wife.... great driver skills.... and like fast food.....
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:15 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Stay away from down town - take a cab or bus if necessary. look for Shopping Malls or large centers to park in and there is usually a variety of restaurants and shops available. You may have to walk a few hundred yards. We went from Central Fla. to Austin Tx. for a 3 week trip recently without a tow vehicle, and didn't miss it.

Go with your gut and you will be fine.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We don't tow yet either. If we are going to stay at a location for more then 3 days we rent a car. Enterprise is great, most of the time will deliver to the campground. We don't have a car we would want to set up 4 down and not sure about a dolly.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Stay out of drive throughs----other than that----have at it-----38 is a bit cumbersome but I have moved my 36" with tow on in and around parking lots etc; and so far remain unscathed. One thing to watch for when you park is to make sure no one snugs in up front and someone else does the same in the rear---you could sit for a long time.

Since I have a tow on I am particularly careful about someone parking right in front of me. I can't back up!!!
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We traveled that route many times and you shouldn't have any problems with your rig finding places to park. Most facilities have the room and an area where you will be fine. We to traveled our first three years without towing a vehicle. Never stayed in one spot that long and if a vehicle was needed we always rented one for a couple days. Have fun, be safe and Happy Motoring!!!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjb4100 View Post
We are planning a trip out west. We are not going to tow a vehicle. Does anyone know if there will be alot of problems parking at places to eat or sight see. We have a 38' ultrasport motorhome. Plan is to go thru the upper part of Texas, New Mexico and up to the Grand Canyon and on to Vegas. Any help would be appreciated.
we are semi full timers..average 12-15000 miles year..many weatern trips from Florida..no tow vehicle..if we were to stay more than 3-4 days i call enterprise, some areas car rental was not available it din't matter we move on anyway...if we decide to full time then a toad will be necessary..

peter d
elainee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing