Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2019, 12:45 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtec16450yz View Post
Thank you very much for your voice of reason and observation. I was going to respond by asking them to re-read my OP, and especially the title, but I've learned that engaging in any way is almost always a losing battle.

It's ok, I realize most of the things I'd pass along here wouldn't be accepted, tried or even understood. That and an unrelated issue are making me wonder if I even belong here.
Pretty sure most have never cut a hole in a hood or sit facing the door BUT are experts on everything else. I consider the source after look at their posts.

On another forum were I’ve been active for 15 years I added the following: “This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose” and it’s automatically included at the bottom of my posts. Have not figured out how to add it on this forum.

At least I was able to get part of it included...cannot have more than 3 lines.l in the below.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2019, 01:19 PM   #16

Exclamation

gmtech:
You made me think - hard.

Note that this pertains to a stabilizer with stud mounted ends (top of the posted Roadmaster photos), not eye bolt ends.

You're right, slight adjustments to the pressure on the grommets does affect the functional length of the stabilizer (which is your point).

It was mentioned that the large inner grommet washers seat on the stabilizer shaft so they can't move but those washers don't define the working length, the brackets pinched between the grommets do. Tightening the stud bolt compresses the inner grommet, drawing the mounting points slightly closer together. Loosening the stud bolts allows the inner grommet to expand, pushing the mounting points slightly further apart.

Now I have a headache, kudos anyway.
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:35 AM   #17

When installing the Safe-T-Steer, the positioning of the L-Bracket on the tie rod is key to establishing the steering center. But unfortunately a very very very small change in location can make a big change in the steering center, and is tedious to adjust in actual practice. (loosening u-bolts, moving the bracket in very small increments, tightening u-bolts)

So, I thought the same thing.... After getting the adjustment close to where it needed to be, tightening or loosening the compression of the grommets (equally on both ends) could help me dial-in the proper location. I had started with the grommets compressed about half way. This was successful.

Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:38 AM   #18

For adjustability, I would suggest:

For a tighter feel: higher durometer bushings - likely urethane.

To adjust the center: Put double nuts on both sides of one / both of the bushing stacks. That way one can move the stack to lengthen, shorten the shock center. Move the location brackets to accommodate the longer length shock. Then fine tuning can be done by moving the bushing stacks. Ensure the nuts are double locked so they don't loosen and fall off. This method the bushings aren't crushed while achieving the fine tuning of center.

Note that isn't the steering center. That adjustment is via the tie rod lengths or drag link (depends on steering design).

The preload on the bushings should normally be torqued until the bushing is same diameter as the washers. Note that depends on the bushings used.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
When installing the Safe-T-Steer, the positioning of the L-Bracket on the tie rod is key to establishing the steering center. But unfortunately a very very very small change in location can make a big change in the steering center, and is tedious to adjust in actual practice. (loosening u-bolts, moving the bracket in very small increments, tightening u-bolts)

So, I thought the same thing.... After getting the adjustment close to where it needed to be, tightening or loosening the compression of the grommets (equally on both ends) could help me dial-in the proper location. I had started with the grommets compressed about half way. This was successful.

Wait... Somebody else ACTUALLY did what I'm talking about??? haha. Thanks for posting that! Yeah if anyone would have actually tried what I was talking about they'd have the answers to the questions and concerns posted here.

The other interesting thing is that many of the questions and concerns posted WERE actually answered in my original post. When I'm not sure about something someone is saying I go back and re-read what they said, sometimes 2 or 3 times. My posts are long, I understand if people see the length and simply skim through it. The problem is I always include lots of little details and the secret IS IN the details.

One detail I guess I should have made more clear is how sensitive this pressure on the rubber grommets is. I'm talking about 1 or 2 turns on the nuts resulting in the wheel going from off center to centered. 1 or 2 turns isn't going to destroy any grommets or make any parts fall off. And yes, you made a very valid point, which is exactly why I posted this trick...

Quote:
(the u bolt bracket adjustment) "is tedious to adjust in actual practice".
Exactly! The u bolt clamp isn't very precise. And if there's any amount of pressure on the stabilizer, as soon as you loosen the u bolts they will move where they want to. It's a crude adjustment, this is a FINE adjustment. Hey, maybe I should put that in the title? Oh wait...
gmtec16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIDE View Post
gmtech:
You made me think - hard.

Note that this pertains to a stabilizer with stud mounted ends (top of the posted Roadmaster photos), not eye bolt ends.

You're right, slight adjustments to the pressure on the grommets does affect the functional length of the stabilizer (which is your point).

It was mentioned that the large inner grommet washers seat on the stabilizer shaft so they can't move but those washers don't define the working length, the brackets pinched between the grommets do. Tightening the stud bolt compresses the inner grommet, drawing the mounting points slightly closer together. Loosening the stud bolts allows the inner grommet to expand, pushing the mounting points slightly further apart.

Now I have a headache, kudos anyway.

BINGO!

And I made you think! Success! My typing a bunch of characters on a screen resulted in neurons in your brain being energized and connected in ways they might not have ever been before. To me that is AMAZING! If that's not what life is about, what is?
gmtec16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering