RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2021, 08:13 PM   #1

Trickle chargers

I donít get the opportunity to use my Class A as often as I like, and several times my engine batteries are to low to turn over the engine. I can always jump it, but I rather not keep doing that. Any suggestions on a proper trickle charger for a 2 battery 24 volt system. I appreciate any comments.
Pop Pop 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2021, 08:49 PM   #2

You have a 12 volt system, 2 12 volt batteries in parallel.

Any standard 12 volt battery maintainer will work.

Red clip to + and black clip to -
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:54 PM   #3

At a minimum get a 3 amp trickle charger, walmart sells several for around 35 to 50 dollars.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:39 AM   #4

Amp L charger
Old 02-23-2021, 09:05 AM   #5

Start with a charged battery and keep something like this on them.

https://www.batterytender.com/Battery-TenderR-Plus
Old 02-23-2021, 09:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop Pop 57 View Post
I donít get the opportunity to use my Class A as often as I like, and several times my engine batteries are to low to turn over the engine. I can always jump it, but I rather not keep doing that. Any suggestions on a proper trickle charger for a 2 battery 24 volt system. I appreciate any comments.
I don't know what motorhome you have so this will be real general. On my Fleetwood Discovery just being plugged into 110 volts at the house will keep all batteries fully charged.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop Pop 57 View Post
It would be nice to know make/model/year/chassis/engine/ and more so that we *might* be able to give or suggest, a more accurate answer. Some, not all that many, had chassis battery charging systems when on shore power from the factory but, that system may be defective. But, for the most part, most coaches (in general, diesel versions) did not have chassis battery charging when on shore power.

Sooooo, again, we need more info to aid better in accuracy.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
It would be nice to know make/model/year/chassis/engine/ and more so that we *might* be able to give or suggest, a more accurate answer. Some, not all that many, had chassis battery charging systems when on shore power from the factory but, that system may be defective. But, for the most part, most coaches (in general, diesel versions) did not have chassis battery charging when on shore power.

Sooooo, again, we need more info to aid better in accuracy.
Scott
Hi Scott, maybe its just premium coaches like my Discovery that have that feature????
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:22 PM   #9

A fully charged battery/s disconnected will hold charge much better , no draw. You can disconnect and just charge occasionally . A good tender or maintainer will do fine . Some cheaper ones over charge, discharge if unplugged or go dead with green light until like all is fine until it fully drains the battery. Battery Tender and Minder are top rated brands for a reason..Noco is newer but gets 1000s of good reviews. One odd thing I have read more than once is Noco chargers putting a lot of radio frequency interference.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:56 PM   #10
Decrepit Forum Advocate

If the OP has an older coach (before about 2006 or so?), especially a gas coach, it probably does not have provisions for maintaining the chassis battery when plugged into shore power.

Winnebago started to install Trik-L-Start on their Journey DPs, for instance, starting with their 2007 models. I'm not sure what they're currently using but I remember that the 2006 models did not have them and the 2007 did.

To Pop Pop 57, welcome to the forum. As has been said, please give us your coach manufacturer, model year, and chassis information. If you do have an older Class A, there may not be any provision to charge the chassis battery/batteries when plugged into shore power. It sounds as if you do not have this provision.

I like the LSL maintainers (Trik-L-START and AMP-L-START) so you may want to look into installing one or something similar. That way, you won't have to have the hassle of using a separate maintainer on the chassis batteries. I've used them in several applications and they've been flawless.

TRIK-L-START

AMP-L-START

They function the same but one is 10 amp and the other is 15 amp. Trik-L-start used to be 5 amp but I see they upgraded it to 10 amp so it should be more than adequate for most applications now.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:04 PM   #11

I was always under the impression that Winne and Itasca started installing the Trik-L-Start units on the 2006 and above. If I can link it correctly, I have a pdf file that states just that and it's from Winnebago's Service bulletins.
Scott
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2006-04 Trik-L-Start.pdf (125.0 KB, 3 views)
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:27 AM   #12
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
I was always under the impression that Winne and Itasca started installing the Trik-L-Start units on the 2006 and above. If I can link it correctly, I have a pdf file that states just that and it's from Winnebago's Service bulletins.
Scott
We were looking at Meridians/Journeys at the time and the early 2006s didn't have it but the tail end of the production cycle they may have started installing them. All the 2007 Meridians/Journeys had them. Their gas Class As didn't have them until much later, however ...not sure when.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:34 PM   #13

Unhappy Dead batteries

I bought new 2021 Entegra Vision in November 2020. The last time I used MH was Jan 1. I went out to storage facility yesterday (no electric power at facility).
Both chassis and house battery dead. I expected chassis battery might be dead, but thought I'd be able to start it with house battery. I had cut all power from house by using the "disconnect".
What should I do first?
And with no power at storage facility, what should I do long-term to care for batteries?
dlmill68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:56 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Several good option available. I like the NOCO chargers. I have a 10a unit on my chassis batteries (two Group 31 12v in parallel).
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger