Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2005, 05:49 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Alrighty then....I'm having the new Motorhome fire drill. Building a list for the dealer to fix, but there's one problem in particular that's driving me nuts (short drive, as they say). Started out yesterday when I couldn't get any shorepower in the unit. Generator ran, no power...plugged into my house, no power and tripped the house breaker. (Used a 50A to 30A dogbone and then a 30A to 15A dogbone). Took unit to dealer (Campers Barn in Kingston, NY) to check it out and, to their credit, they diagnosed and replaced a bad transfer switch. In my bliss at getting my unit back so quickly, I neglected to ask about plugging in for house power. When I got home all seemed well, generator running and 115V power running the air conditioner units fine. Tonight I plugged the unit into the house. Turned all big loads off first, and , voila....a tripped breaker in the house again and again and again and no power in the coach. Fired up the genset and I had 115V just fine. Do you think it's from reducing the line from 50A to 15A? Maybe the dogbone is faulty? Old RV worked fine on this outlet but was only 30A reduced to 15A. What do you guys think?
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2005, 05:49 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Alrighty then....I'm having the new Motorhome fire drill. Building a list for the dealer to fix, but there's one problem in particular that's driving me nuts (short drive, as they say). Started out yesterday when I couldn't get any shorepower in the unit. Generator ran, no power...plugged into my house, no power and tripped the house breaker. (Used a 50A to 30A dogbone and then a 30A to 15A dogbone). Took unit to dealer (Campers Barn in Kingston, NY) to check it out and, to their credit, they diagnosed and replaced a bad transfer switch. In my bliss at getting my unit back so quickly, I neglected to ask about plugging in for house power. When I got home all seemed well, generator running and 115V power running the air conditioner units fine. Tonight I plugged the unit into the house. Turned all big loads off first, and , voila....a tripped breaker in the house again and again and again and no power in the coach. Fired up the genset and I had 115V just fine. Do you think it's from reducing the line from 50A to 15A? Maybe the dogbone is faulty? Old RV worked fine on this outlet but was only 30A reduced to 15A. What do you guys think?

Old 07-20-2005, 05:56 PM   #3

Ron,
Quick question, when you say "tripped breaker", is it a breaker in the house main panel or is it a GFI breaker?

JB Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 05:58 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Main panel in house 15A circuit, non GFI

Old 07-20-2005, 06:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
RON, Your 15 amps from house can't run two airs like your GEN can. Plus you may have a larger amp draw from larger refer,converter etc,etc. When the compresser of air kicks in it draws a higher amperage. Like you say you could also have a faulty 50 amp dog-bone. With a meter check the three leads for continuity than for shorts across any of them, use ohm scale or tone ckt of meter. Congratulations on your new coach. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 06:24 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
007, I had all systems shut down when I plugged into the house. I just use the house to run the fridge while I'm home. I would never put that heavy of a load on a 15A circuit....

Old 07-20-2005, 06:36 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I do the same thing, but if I use a vacume in MH, an large TV is turned on in house 15 amp pops. I'd check that 50-amp to 30-amp dogbone. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:24 AM   #8

Do you nave a Energy Management System? On some setups you have to actually set the system for the incoming power source.If you in fact have this type of system make sure it's set for 15amp.

Grumpy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 03:35 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Thanks for all the input so far.....checking the dogbone and the PMS as suggested in a while.

Old 07-22-2005, 09:59 AM   #10

Nor'easters Club
ok, so....I replaced BOTH adapters (the 50A to 30A & the 30A to 15A) and still the breaker tripped in the house gfi circuit. Checked the Power Management System and had it set correctly. No go. Called the dealer who informed me they called Monaco who said that the coach needed to be plugged into it's own 50A outlet if at all possible, 30A if not. I then called myself and a service advisor advised me to turn down the Magnadyne invertor/convertor so it was looking for 10A shore power rather than 30A or 50A. This I did and still no luck with the outlet or any GFI circuit. Checked the polarity..(it is fine). Gave up and came back to work to write this, but before I did I called Monaco again. This time another service advisor told me that because of the step downs in wire sizes though the adapters, the GFI circuit would ALWAYS sense a fault. So here I am. Can't cool down my refrigerator with house electric in my own driveway. Anyone have a comment or additional information??

Old 07-22-2005, 10:48 AM   #11

Just my 2 cents...
You contacted two different service advisors at Monaco and got two different answers. -I would call Monaco again and ask for the Service manager to see if you can find the "truth". Seems unlikely that the coach cannot just use a household 15A receptacle to power up it's fridge.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:00 AM   #12

Nor'easters Club
My thoughts, too. The last guy suggested taking the outside cover off the refrigerator compartment and running a dedicated extension cord to the fridge....can you imagine? I know it will probably work, but paper clips and chewing gum are not my favorite tools to repair a very expensive motorcoach.

Old 07-22-2005, 11:55 AM   #13
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Some hunches:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Maybe a weak 15 amp breaker in the house panel.
<LI>GFCI on house panel tripping.[/list]
You might test that outlet with another electrical device such as a toaster, iron, heavy duty drill, etc. Use something that'll pull ~10 amps and see if that circuit will hold. Also, test with something that has a 3 prong plug to see if that GFCI is working right.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:14 PM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Hi Richard,
I appreciate your input. Tested the outlet, in fact, I tried all my GFI outdoor outlets to no avail. I do get electric from a non-GFI no problem. As far as a load, It was fine a week ago with the old 30 amp coach necked down to 15A. Still confused.