Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2018, 11:35 AM   #1

Troubleshooting humming sound from inverter/charger

I replaced the 4 house batteries a couple of weeks ago and have been on shore power since then. I unplugged from shore power and started up the MH and let it run for about 30 min or so. When I turned the engine off and plugged back into shore power there is a constant humming sound that can be heard inside the MH coming from the inverter/charger.

I have checked the voltage on the 4 house batteries and the volts are good.

I have on/off buttons for the inverter and for the charger on the inverter/charger and a remote on/off button for the inverter inside the MH. I've turned the inverter off, charger off and the humming sound is still there. I've never heard this sound since I've owned the coach.

Has anyone experienced this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2018, 11:41 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I am going to venture to guess the hum is coming from your transfer switch inside it.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:48 AM   #3

Depending on the pitch of the sound it is either a transformer or choke with a loose lamination or the fan motor running.

As long as everything works it's not worth worrying about. YMMV
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:36 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Since you can turn off both the inverter and converter sides and you still have a humm most likely ATS. Try turning off the power at the post a couple times, this allows the ATS to cycle and make a good connection MAYBE. Also if you not going for a drive with the CAT let it sleep, your not getting it to operating temp.

LEN
Old 01-06-2018, 01:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel8 View Post
I replaced the 4 house batteries a couple of weeks ago and have been on shore power since then. I unplugged from shore power and started up the MH and let it run for about 30 min or so. When I turned the engine off and plugged back into shore power there is a constant humming sound that can be heard inside the MH coming from the inverter/charger.

I have checked the voltage on the 4 house batteries and the volts are good.

I have on/off buttons for the inverter and for the charger on the inverter/charger and a remote on/off button for the inverter inside the MH. I've turned the inverter off, charger off and the humming sound is still there. I've never heard this sound since I've owned the coach.

Has anyone experienced this?

If it's a quiet hum this would be normal. The transformer on most inverters omit a quiet hum as they convert 110 to 12 volts. However if yours in a fan cooled unit. Like others said, the fan might mount might have come lose. Try retightening it and see if the hum goes away.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:13 PM   #6
YC1

Post a picture of where you think the noise is coming from.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:41 AM   #7

Troubleshooting humming sound from inverter/charger

When on DC power the inverter will hum slightly louder. Because now your converter 12 volts to 110, or pulling enough power to run all your 12 volt accessories, lights and so on. This makes your inverter work harder since it doesn't have as much power at its disposal when on battery power. I have defiantly experienced this. Again if it is a quiet hum, it is normal, nothing to worry about. My inverter omits a very quiet hum all the time. I have never had an issue with any of the electrical in my RV.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, inverter