Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2015, 12:38 PM   #1

Troubleshooting Inverter, Heart Freedom 10

Seems like I stopped getting 110V output to the coach recently. Switch on at unit and remote. No lights at remote. I believe it is charging, but I will double check. Both resets are not popped out.

I am decent with a meter, but looking for the most expeditious method of troubleshooting or problem areas to look for. I would love to get this one checked off my list.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2015, 01:00 PM   #2

Bucky,
Are you plugged in to shore power? If not, my guess is that your batteries are dead. If you are plugged in to shore power, your batteries should be getting charged by your inverter/converter, check the voltage on your batteries. It should be around 13.5 volts.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:01 PM   #3

Same condition regardless of whether plugged in or not.
Batteries are staying charged normally right now. Charger part of unit seems to be working well.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:10 PM   #4

Have you checked your AC circuit breakers and any breakers on your inverter? Do you have AC with your generator running. You might also try resetting it by disconneting the battery leads for 5-1 minutes.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:27 PM   #5

No circuit breakers flipped. Push button breakers not tripped. Yes to AC power when connected or generator running. Still no indication on the panel. I have not tried disconnecting the battery leads yes.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:45 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
My Freedom 25 manual says if remote is used, the inverter mounted on/off switch needs to be off.

Maybe same for your Freedom 10?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #7

Same thing I saw. Although I think mine have always both been on. I tried turning both off and letting it be for a while. Turned remote back on and nothing. I think when I get it put into the barn for winter, I may pull it out and take a look at it. It really isn't worth replacing it for me if only the inverter is out. I don't use the inverter all that much really. Usually we just run the generator because we need air con anyhow.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:06 PM   #8

If the problem is relegated to just the inverter and inverter AC power (house battery fully charged), then on my rig there are two 300A class T fuses between the house batteries and the Inverter.

One in the inverter bay.

One in the battery bay.

They will cause your symptom if they failed. Each fuse costs me about $30 and I carry a spare.

Maybe you have something similar.

Picture of fuse

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1010_.jpg
Old 10-20-2015, 01:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
If the problem is relegated to just the inverter and inverter AC power (house battery fully charged), then on my rig there are two 300A class T fuses between the house batteries and the Inverter.

One in the inverter bay.

One in the battery bay.

They will cause your symptom if they failed. Each fuse costs me about $30 and I carry a spare.

Maybe you have something similar.

Picture of fuse

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1010_.jpg
OK that could be something to look for..but if that fuse was open, why would it be able to charge the batteries? Isn't it using the same wire?
Old 10-20-2015, 10:18 PM   #10

Which fuse?

On my rig there are two.

The one in the battery compartment has caused your symptoms on my rig.

I have no clue what you rig has for fuses or how it is wired.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Which fuse?

On my rig there are two.

The one in the battery compartment has caused your symptoms on my rig.

I have no clue what you rig has for fuses or how it is wired.
I haven't looked, but I thought by looking at the wiring diagram in the Heart manual that there were only two 12V leads coming out of that box. A positive and a negative. If those are the only two going to the batteries, then any open fuse would stop not only the 12V power from going to the inverter, but also the charge to the batteries coming from the inverter(charger). Now it could be that it isn't charging and I hadn't noticed. Or maybe there really are two positive and two negative leads to the battery. I need to do some leg work next.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:28 AM   #12

My coach manual shows the two 300A fuses to be on the same single 4/0 power wire connecting the inverter to the house battery.

If the fuse at the inverter blows it interrupts the power feed to the battery. So, no battery charging or inverted outlets would be the result.

A junction in the common positive wire occurs between the two 300A fuses that funnels power from the 12v battery to the 12v house systems.

If the fuse at the battery fails, it interrupts the battery power feed to the house. So the result is no 12v power to the house 12v systems, but the battery can still be charged.

Yours may be wired differently, but it is an avenue to explore.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:30 AM   #13

Ah ha! I hope mine is! I will check that out. Thanks!
Old 11-16-2015, 09:10 AM   #14

Just an update: I was wrong. The battery is not charging either. So I suspect an interruption in the cable. I looked for any sort of inline fuse and found none. I will take out the inverter so I can get to the cable and check for any voltage coming from the battery. If nothing, we have found the issue, and need to find where it starts at.

Tags
inverter