Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2021, 06:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
Out bringing our DP back to the barn after it's final run this year, we pull into a Pilot at 6:30 in the morning. As I'm getting fuel I hear someone yelling, "hey!" I didn't pay much attention, but there were just a few lanes being used and a moment later I heard it again, louder, "hey!" I turned around to find an older, grizzled trucker getting fuel two lanes over trying to get my attention. When I finally looked up, he follows with, "wanna trade?" indicating his rig and mine. He followed the question with a burst of infectious laughter that made me laugh out loud also. "Why are you laughing?" he asked, followed by another burst of laughter. "I'll bet that thing has everything," he shouted as another rig pulled between us. Still chuckling at that exchange.

A few hours later we pulled into a Love's and had a conversation with a lady trucker who had the most adorable, 4 month old, long-haired chihuahua sitting on her lap as she finished her lunch in the parking space next to us.

Later as we waited behind a truck in the fuel lane, the driver walked back to us and I slid open my window. He let us know that the key pads on the pumps were out of order and he just came back to let us know he had to go inside. Didn't want us to think he was being rude. He later came back to let us know that he was done and was just waiting for the truck in front of him to clear the lane.

It's getting brutal out there. Watch your backs.
Glad it was all positive, but did you make 3 fuel stops in one day ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2021, 11:20 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Never had a problem at a truck stop except for the rare occasion when a trucker will leave his rig at the pump while he goes inside for food, rest room etc.
Most times a pleasant conversation on the world or RVing.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 03:52 PM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3XACHRM View Post
Never had a negative experience at Truck Stops, but many positive ones.
Same here!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 07:55 PM   #18

All my experiences have been positive except one. I was in the TA in south Montgomery, just pulled up and as I was about to exit the RV I saw a guy standing in front of my RV. I stepped out and he looked at me and flashed his hand and nodded his head down kind of telling me to look. When I did I saw what I assume were drugs. I just shook my head and waved my hand and he quickly left. Have not stopped there in my few times through that area since.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 08:42 PM   #19

Agree That most are positive experiences other than the occasional driver that leaves a rig to go do whatever and doesn't leave enough room to get out.
One negative that sticks out... rig pulled ahead so I fill andcready to leave... no driver so waiting... guy b finally shows up with a sandwichb& soda but he's only a helper? Says driver has keys and he can't move it. Wait.... wait... wait till driver shows and finally pulls away.
I can only imagine what the reaction would be if a RVer did the same to a "professional" driver.
I get it that they are earning a living and I'm retired / on vacation but what happened to professionalism / common courtesy?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 06:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Agree That most are positive experiences other than the occasional driver that leaves a rig to go do whatever and doesn't leave enough room to get out.
One negative that sticks out... rig pulled ahead so I fill andcready to leave... no driver so waiting... guy b finally shows up with a sandwichb& soda but he's only a helper? Says driver has keys and he can't move it. Wait.... wait... wait till driver shows and finally pulls away.
I can only imagine what the reaction would be if a RVer did the same to a "professional" driver.
I get it that they are earning a living and I'm retired / on vacation but what happened to professionalism / common courtesy?
Dealt with this recently. The truckers on both sides of me slammed the driver when he suddenly appeared.
Winger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 06:14 AM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSuper View Post
Glad it was all positive, but did you make 3 fuel stops in one day ?

First was a fuel stop, second was for lunch and third was to top it off before taking it to storage.
Old 01-01-2022, 06:37 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I have had to wait for a few minutes before. I put it down to me only getting about 90 gallons and getting done faster than the average trucker.

Now, if it was more than 10 minutes, then the trucker is just being rude.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 07:06 AM   #23

Have had fun when towing our Saturn Vue with our coach.
When we stop for fuel we have had truckers walk past us and ask where we are bound. Then, as they go past out Vue they stop and look inside, and then yell something like:"Don't go away!! Let me get my camera! I HAVE to get a picture of this!!"
So we wait, and while waiting another trucker or so will come up and take a picture of the"driver" of our towed.

By the way, his name is Ernie and he hangs from the ceiling, paws on the steering wheel, and has no legs. A pink gorilla wearing a court jester's cap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ernie 2.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	352712  
Attached Images

NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 07:21 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Have never had issues with drivers, they always are pleasant.

Have had some transients hit me up for cash in a couple of stops. They were hanging around the edge of the stop and saw us as an easy touch. They left the truckers alone, evidence there was some brain activity.
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 07:58 PM   #25

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
Have had fun when towing our Saturn Vue with our coach.
When we stop for fuel we have had truckers walk past us and ask where we are bound. Then, as they go past out Vue they stop and look inside, and then yell something like:"Don't go away!! Let me get my camera! I HAVE to get a picture of this!!"
So we wait, and while waiting another trucker or so will come up and take a picture of the"driver" of our towed.

By the way, his name is Ernie and he hangs from the ceiling, paws on the steering wheel, and has no legs. A pink gorilla wearing a court jester's cap.
Now that's awesome, lol. I can just picture everybody that sees Ernie doing a doble take and bursting out laughing.
jvega-al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 08:21 PM   #26

An acquaintance of mine has Jeep toad with a stuffed purple dinosaur doing the driving.

The back of the Jeep has a sign on the spare tire saying "Stop honking, I'm pushing this thing as fast as I can!"

Mike
Old 01-02-2022, 08:30 PM   #27

Foretravel Owners Club
Watching..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 08:33 PM   #28

I'm almost exclusively staying at truck stops when I travel with the RV, and I've only had two unpleasant experiences in nearly 10 years owning this coach. Both times it was someone disagreeable banging on my door at 6:30 in the morning, screaming about how RV's weren't welcome and the area was for "trucks only".

Those two have not changed my plans to continue traveling exactly as I have been - and trying to avoid being a burden to anyone else.