Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2018, 05:34 PM   #43

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
Trying to cut cost on black tank chemicals store bought seems to be expensive I've seen lots of people talk about homemade solutions. I was also wondering if anybody has tried the home remedies for their septic tanks like Septonic or that CLR stuff for septic tanks. Trying to find cheap easy way of handling the black water tank. Thanx Rat Fink.
For 10 yrs or more we have put 2 small bottles of the cheapest dawn dish soap divided equally between the kitchen double sink, shower (this takes care of grey tank) and then the lavatory and toilet. We do this before leaving home and after using the facilities and after the tanks are full we drain them at the next CG. The Dawn costs less than 1$ per bottle and we don't use anything else.
Locksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2018, 07:03 PM   #44

Peanuts!

If your RVing budget is that tight, I suggest you get rid of the RV and get your personal finances in order before buying another one.
I am serious and have no intention of being condescending.
Rich
rluxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:53 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Trying to cut costs

I would just use the right stuff and maybe cut it in half. Some use regular household TP. I don’t but would only if I needed to.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:22 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
Trying to cut cost on black tank chemicals store bought seems to be expensive I've seen lots of people talk about homemade solutions. I was also wondering if anybody has tried the home remedies for their septic tanks like Septonic or that CLR stuff for septic tanks. Trying to find cheap easy way of handling the black water tank. Thanx Rat Fink.
We didn't bother with anything and had no problems. IF it smells - empty it. We can easily go a week with no odors. We full-timed for over 20 years and now down to summers as hubby was 86 this past summer. Try it - won't hurt.
tomur2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:48 AM   #47

After a week, when you notice the odor, where is it coming from, the roof vent? Out of the toilet when you flush? Vacuum breaker in the black tank rinse line? Somewhere else?
Old 10-15-2018, 12:00 PM   #48

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
Short term or on trips we never use chemicals. Long term storage we just dump, do a good flush, and put 5 gallons of clean water in the tank to eliminate odors. A good flush really helps.
Ditto. When I was a new RVer an experienced RV friend asked what do you use in your waste tanks. I showed him my 3/4 full gallon jug of tank treatment, purchased at CW. He said to me "You don't need it, you don't need anything". That was 15 years ago and I still have that gallon jug which is still 3/4 full. I do as Bahamaniac says above and never have any odors. 15 years is a pretty good test sample. The cost: free. You can't beat free. The secret to odor free is not chemicals but having a good venturi attachment on your vent stacks such as this or this.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:28 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluxt View Post
If your RVing budget is that tight, I suggest you get rid of the RV and get your personal finances in order before buying another one.
I am serious and have no intention of being condescending.
Rich
With all due respect Rich, this is just one of several line items that if one is able to save on (minor an amount as it might appear), along with several others trimming of the fat so to speak can make for more dollars to spend elsewhere in one's journey/enjoyment. I was brought up with the practice of "you take care of the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves". That in turn has enabled us to experience some wonderful things, we otherwise wouldn't have afforded to. Extra sweater turn down heat - Draught excluders - self auto repairs/oil changes etc. Turn off lights when not in rooms, keeping doors closed etc etc.

Just saying with all due respect totally, that for some of us, penny pinching especially taught from those of the war years is a way of life we've grown up with, and in the big scheme of things has lent itself well to our current lives

Happy & Safe Travels
SoonToBeFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:06 PM   #50

Let’s see...you spend $50,000 or more on a motor home and then want to cheap out on stuff that costs pennies.

Yeah...that makes a lot of sense. [emoji57]
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:29 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Traveler View Post
Let’s see...you spend $50,000 or more on a motor home and then want to cheap out on stuff that costs pennies.

Yeah...that makes a lot of sense. [emoji57]

I believe the message was maybe because he/we cheap out all our lives, we now have $50k laying around to spend on a RV. Why change a successful way of life? A lot of millionaires were made by saving pennies.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:34 PM   #52

Entegra Owners Club
If you guys want to throw your money down the toilet, go for it. Some of us would rather save a buck rather than wasting it. Not only do we not throw money down the drain, but we don’t have to be bothered needlessly buying, storing and messing about with chemicals either.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:06 AM   #53

Ah well, why not chime in, seasons winding down everyone seems to be having a good time and I'm bored sitting at my Computer!

Tried many chemicals over 30 years and sometimes not. Their not just for odor control they help break down the waste and paper aiding in keeping the sensors clean, liquid flowing. Thetford liquid gold from Walmart is inexpensive and handles all of the above.

Why not start a sub-post on toilet paper, Oh that's been hashed to death too! Ok, our vote is Angel Soft. Nuf said, bye.
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #54

Reading all the responses to the black tank question is humorous... so I'll add my $0.02. lol

IMHO the number one best solution for odor is proper cleaning when you dump. Let it build up a day or two, never leave the valve open when hooked up, use lots of water, repeat LOTS of water... then dump, rinse and repeat, and then dump your soapy gray tank to rinse out your hose. This is what I do 98% of the time.

2% of the time I will put the treatment in the tank when it is especially hot and I need to store it for more than 2 days... but that only happens once or twice a year. One of my wife's superpowers is sense of smell and she is quick to tell me when its time to add the perfume to the tank.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:55 AM   #55

A little simple green can go along way to keeping the black tank clean and odorless.

I have found.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:16 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVHive View Post
We have a shower with a hose that can reach the toilet. We spray the cold water from the shower in the toilet when we're waiting for the shower water to get hot. This helps save space in our grey tank, while also adding water to the black tank, which is always a good thing.

Welcome to the forum!