Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2015, 02:38 PM   #1

Post TST 507 Tire Monitoring System Critique

I have now had occasion to utilize my TST 507 TPMS System on two long trips between Michigan and Florida.

Over a three day travel period each way, tire pressure was checked/reset each morning prior to starting the days travel. The one thing I noted on a consistent basis is that the sensors displayed a good bit of non-linearity. After my most recent trip from Michigan back here to Florida I found one sensor that was consistently four (4) to six (6) PSI lower than the other five (5) sensors, even when moved to a different wheel. The five sensors that closely parallel each other were typically within one (1) or two (2) PSI of each other and were always 2 PSI lower than the initial pressures set each morning with an AccuGage analog inflator that compared exactly against an Accutire digital gauge.

I wonder if my experience is at all typical to that of others who are using the TST 507 System.

Also, I would like to recommend to TST that they might consider moving to a backlit monitor display instead of the current front lit display to improve on daylight readability. I find it almost impossible to read the display at even arm’s length unless the screen is bathed in bright sunlight. Having an easy to read display is very important when you are driving and trying to keep your eyes on the road as well.
geofferyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2015, 04:04 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I concur 100% with your last paragraph.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:23 PM   #3

I feel the same way about the display during day light drive and have actually called TST to address the problem. Answer is that they are developing a color display screen which should be ready in the next few months so I told them to sign me up. guess I'm first on the list.
lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:42 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have had the TST 510 system for several years. The situation with my sensors pretty much matches yours. Last year I sent the system back to TST and had them service it. They sent it back with all new sensors. The situation remains. I have become used to it.

I agree with the monitor brightness.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:34 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I've noticed differences in pressure and temperature readings but figured it was probably caused by some tires being in the sunlight or carrying a heavier load. Hadn't considered there might be a flaw in the devices. For sure the two on the tow car drivers side run higher but I thought the motorhome diesel exhaust on the drivers side probably affected the readings.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:13 PM   #6

We have had the 507 for a few months. We have had two sensors go bad and I seem to be constantly checking things and moving sensors. The company is great to deal with but I am not sold on the cost vs. issues right now. I wish RV manufacturers would buy vehicles with factory units.

2016 Dynamax Force, Just Rite 2
halla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:30 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
I wish RV manufacturers would buy vehicles with factory units.
They did, but the manufacturer (SmarTire) quit supporting the RV market. The unit in our rig was a $2,700 option and I'm not sure people want to pay that much. I probably wouldn't if I was ordering one at that price.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:34 PM   #8

I too have found the sensors seem to read about 4 psi lower than my manual gauge. Definitely see a difference side to side depending on which is in the sun. Had to replace sensor batteries after about 10 months. System seems to be working fine currently.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:38 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by britcon View Post
I too have found the sensors seem to read about 4 psi lower than my manual gauge. Definitely see a difference side to side depending on which is in the sun. Had to replace sensor batteries after about 10 months. System seems to be working fine currently.
How accurate is your manual gauge?
I bought a certified one at NAPA, only use it to check my other gauges.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:48 PM   #10

Placing a small tab of black electrical tape over the Monitor Brightness Sensor (lower left of screen) will make the internal light come on and make the monitor easier to see in daylight.

All of my tire sensors transmit within 1 or 2 psi of what my manual gauge indicates. Have you asked TST to swap out the inaccurate sensor(s)?

Fred
Old 11-13-2015, 08:06 AM   #11

My Accu-Gage inflator has a ANSI Commerical Grade B gauge (meets ANSI B40.1 Grade B specifications), which is the best quality gauge typically used for tire pressure applications; and gets checked against my Accutire Digital gauge that is accurate to plus/minus 0.5 psi. They both agree with each other at my primary RV tire inflation pressure of 95 PSI.

I plan to contact TST to see if I can get that odd-ball sensor replaced, they seem very good about that sort of thing.

Also, the placing of tape over the monitor light sensor really isn't a solution. It has been my experience that it has little effect in most normal daylight situations.

If TST comes up with a better monitor (display), I want one too. However, I am not convinced color will be any better unless it is a backlit display.
geofferyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:36 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Hello,
Thank you for all your posts and comments. You will see a difference from a handheld gauge to what the sensors read. The sensors are accurate to +/- 1.5 PSI.

Smartire as someone mentioned is not accepted in the RV Industry anymore, as they had many issues and failures.

The TST monitor does have a light when it gets dark, however that light is not intended to stay lit, according to NTSB that is a distraction if the light is lit at night, and could cause the driver to take his eyes off the road. If the monitor is not Alarming then your PSI and Temp. is good. If it starts to alarm than there is an issue. Once your tires all report there is no need to watch the monitor as it will alert you there is a problem.

TST is releasing a new full color monitor, we anticipate the release to be in the 1st quarter of 2016. We will announce, and reach out to our client base prior to the release, and you will have the opportunity to pre-order.

As always please feel free to contact us at TST. We are available until midnight 7 days a week.

Thanks,

Mike Benson
770-889-9102
TST
TST System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:27 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have been wavering on to buy/not buy. Not sure I want to deal with musical sensors, and now knowing a new monitor will be coming out I probably will keep going without them and reevaluate it at a later date, maybe the QA of the product will get better to eliminate the issues. I am sure there will be a price increase with the new monitor.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:55 PM   #14

I have been using the TST system for 3 years now with no problems other than what has been mentioned here...hard to see in the daylight - except when "bathed in sunlight", one sensor that repeatedly is 2-3 psi lower than the other three, but I just have learned that that is the way it functions. And as long as I know that this is the norm, I'm good with that. Also as mentioned prior, TST's customer service is excellent!!! Had an antenna come loose and called them up for a courteous replacement!

A couple of years ago while doing about 55mph on a back-road highway (4 lanes), had a blowout on front tire of the street side. TST system alerted me to which tire was the problem and got right off the road without any damage to my trailer at all. Changed the tire myself rather calling Good Sam service and back on the road in 30 minutes!!!

https://www.freygaritaville.com
Jimmie2 is offline   Reply With Quote