Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2018, 10:43 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
TST TPMS 507 Sensor Issues

Purchased a TST507RV system about two years ago. Love it, but recently I have encountered some issues. First one is a sensor that apparently will not reliably depress the Schrader valve and hence does not work. Second problem is a slow leak in a tire. Actually hoped for sensor leak and a little soapy water confirmed that the leak is, in fact, in the sensor itself. Have contacted TST and am hoping that they stand by their product as I read before I bought the unit. Anybody else have these issues? I will post back when I hear from them.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2018, 10:52 AM   #2

I've had their system for 5 years with no problems. (8) pass through sensors on the coach, (4) sensors for my enclosed trailer and (4) sensors for my GMC Terrain. In fact I actually have (2) monitors. One is set up for when I haul my trailer and the other is set up when I haul my car. That way I don't have to re-program tire pressure parameters when hauling one or the other. The only thing I've done is change batteries in the sensors not because they were not transmitting but just preventative maintenance.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:52 AM   #3

I had a problem with the cap not pressing the valve core on one of my tires when I first bought the system. I adjusted the core with a valve core tool and all my sensors have worked fine since then. It has been 6 or 7 year since I did it. I think I just unscrewed the core about 1/4 turn.
Carlos Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:02 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
I've had their system for 5 years with no problems. (8) pass through sensors on the coach, (4) sensors for my enclosed trailer and (4) sensors for my GMC Terrain. In fact I actually have (2) monitors. One is set up for when I haul my trailer and the other is set up when I haul my car. That way I don't have to re-program tire pressure parameters when hauling one or the other. ...
For those getting the new color monitor, it now has the ability to create up to 4 different trailer/toad configurations. I've had the TST 507 system for over 5 years and I think the color monitor is significantly easier to read. My only beef is that they swapped the positions of PSI and temp. I'm getting use to it but 4 years of scan practice are hard to change. LOL

BTW...I have come to really dislike the flow through sensors but to each their own.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:04 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Marti View Post
I had a problem with the cap not pressing the valve core on one of my tires when I first bought the system. I adjusted the core with a valve core tool and all my sensors have worked fine since then. It has been 6 or 7 year since I did it. I think I just unscrewed the core about 1/4 turn.
Exactly!

I will also toss this out. It is possible to over-tighten the non-pass through sensor cap. When this happens the cap compresses the sensor antenna and you will lose signal.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:29 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Are the sensors you are having a problem depressing the valve on stem extenders? If so, that's a known problem and you may have to go with solid valve stems or better grade extenders. As far as leakage, you do know there is a small o-ring all the way around the inside of the cap? After a while the o-ring ages out and has to be replaced. They should have sent you extras in the kit and you have to really stretch it over the body to get it to fit.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:25 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't think it's the gasket as it appears to be internal. Unfortunately I have never seen a diagram of the sensor. It appears to be an internal leak.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181103_120121.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	224841  
Old 11-03-2018, 10:57 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
Don't think it's the gasket as it appears to be internal. Unfortunately I have never seen a diagram of the sensor. It appears to be an internal leak.
That's exactly where the o-ring will be. If you screw the cap off, there is a thin o-ring between the cap and the sensor body. I just replaced two of mine.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:54 AM   #9

There is also an O-ring inside the sensor where it screws onto the valve stem.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:43 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
That's exactly where the o-ring will be. If you screw the cap off, there is a thin o-ring between the cap and the sensor body. I just replaced two of mine.
IMO, that seal is only a weather seal. I could be wrong but it seems too flimsy in itself to stop a pressure leak. Besides, I wouldn't think the sensor should leak any air into the cap.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:52 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree. No way that flimsy "O ring" that isn't even in a groove would hold any pressure. It is a weather seal. The sensor is potted below the battery and I guess mine has a leak.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:33 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Call TST at (770) 889-9102. I had a problem, and they were very responsive. Promptly sent me replacements at no charge.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:46 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
Call TST at (770) 889-9102. I had a problem, and they were very responsive. Promptly sent me replacements at no charge.
I did call and they have taken all my sensors back for analysis and will replace if necessary. Very responsive.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:25 PM   #14
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
For those getting the new color monitor, it now has the ability to create up to 4 different trailer/toad configurations. I've had the TST 507 system for over 5 years and I think the color monitor is significantly easier to read. My only beef is that they swapped the positions of PSI and temp. I'm getting use to it but 4 years of scan practice are hard to change. LOL

BTW...I have come to really dislike the flow through sensors but to each their own.
For what it is worth I agree with being annoyed with them swapping the positions of the PSI and temp readings . feel that I have to look 2x as long as I did before as I have to change my focus. I may go back to my B&W monitor next year.

Tags
tpms