Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2018, 12:05 PM   #1

Turn signal options

I have been driving my E450 for 4 years now and on a pretty regular basis find myself not noticing that my turn signal is still on. I drove E450 based buses for 6 years prior at the Biltmore Estate and never had the problem. Of course that was 30 mph at the most. The added road noise is the culprit even though I have been discipling myself to check. Sooo my idea is to add additional dash indicators. Will they work or will relay sense a fault and quick flash? I was thinking the led sequential arrows would a good choice.I went into turn signal stalk to find which wire does what only to discover it is an intergrated system and does not lend itself to splicing. Any thoughts? Thanks
sixkilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2018, 12:11 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
You could add a louder 'clicker' to the turn signal flasher. This is one source: Loud Turn Signal Flasher | Turn Signal Alarm | Turnalarm.com

Or you could do as instructed here: Making Turn Signals Louder

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:22 PM   #3

On my rig, there is a very annoying beep that sounds and repeats while you have the blinker on. Annoying enough that the dog comes over and pokes me to turn it off, even when I haven't gotten through the turn yet - LOL.
So there has to be something out there you can add to your system.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixkilo View Post
I have been driving my E450 for 4 years now and on a pretty regular basis find myself not noticing that my turn signal is still on. I drove E450 based buses for 6 years prior at the Biltmore Estate and never had the problem. Of course that was 30 mph at the most. The added road noise is the culprit even though I have been discipling myself to check. Sooo my idea is to add additional dash indicators. Will they work or will relay sense a fault and quick flash? I was thinking the led sequential arrows would a good choice.I went into turn signal stalk to find which wire does what only to discover it is an intergrated system and does not lend itself to splicing. Any thoughts? Thanks
Well Sir,
If I can find it, I had, in my files, a write-up on how to add a timer to your turn signals. It's the same kind of timer that is used by many factory vehicles. Our '11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab does it and, I'm not sure but, I think our '15 JKUR Jeep also has a timer. The bike, an '08 Honda Goldwing has one for sure. So, I'll look around and see if I can find that. This way, nothing primarily is changed in the electrical system of the turn signals.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:40 AM   #5

I want to thank everyone for the ideas. I am currently testing the mecanical option ie: a beer can afixed to the relay. It has to things going for it. Its cheap and acquiring the can itself was pleasant.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:42 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
I want to thank everyone for the ideas. I am currently testing the mecanical option ie: a beer can afixed to the relay. It has to things going for it. Its cheap and acquiring the can itself was pleasant.
Whatever works!!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 04:35 PM   #7

Back to the electronic solution. The meCANical option was not loud enough. So I have ordered a buzzer/flasher panel button.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Funny, I have this problem with my 2016 Ford Expedition which rides pretty quiet but not with my Class C which is pretty noisy.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:38 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most Truck Stops carry an "EXTRA LOUD" flasher.

There are 2x2 types of flashers. THe first 2 is 2 or 3 terminal
The second 2 does not apply to the EXTRA loud flashers