Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2007, 08:30 PM   #1

I am thinking of converting the TV's in my RV to flat screen computer monitors and installing a Tuner card in a PC to run it. Advantage is weight reduction and dual functionality. Disadvantage is picture quality deterioration. Has anyone done this? Advice?
Pandemonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2007, 08:30 PM   #2

I am thinking of converting the TV's in my RV to flat screen computer monitors and installing a Tuner card in a PC to run it. Advantage is weight reduction and dual functionality. Disadvantage is picture quality deterioration. Has anyone done this? Advice?
Old 04-20-2007, 11:46 PM   #3

If weight reduction is your goal why not convert to LCD TVs. They are very light weight. Plasma TVs don't fair well in a RV environment but the LCD TVs do quite well.

2006 Gulfstream Ultra LE 6316
ghamblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 11:37 AM   #4

I did the LCD also and the plasma will not take the cold or the shakeing also higher in price.Just My .02 Bushman sharp pic.and less power to run also..
Old 04-21-2007, 01:57 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Pandemonium welcome to irv2.
I replaced my bedroom TV with a LCD.

A few things added

Scrool down to 4th item it will give some idea on how to install.
Its a big improvement over the 13" job.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 04:15 PM   #6

We had a 27 inch LCD TV installed by Classic Coach Works the elecronics tab will give you an idea and is similar to ours.Classic Coach Works

and a Bob Tail Cat
Richard and Babs and a Bob Tail Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:48 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pandemonium:
I am thinking of converting the TV's in my RV to flat screen computer monitors and installing a Tuner card in a PC to run it. Advantage is weight reduction and dual functionality. Disadvantage is picture quality deterioration. Has anyone done this? Advice? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm not sure what you mean by "picture quality degradation"? With respect to resolution or tuner quality the LCD will beat virtually any tube TV. If you are talking about black level or viewing in direct sunlight, then you have to be more selective when you purchase the LCD TV. However there are models that can handle this as well.

There are LCD's that are direct replacements for your TV, they can have builtin tuners for both existing and HDTV signals. Replacing a TV with a monitor/PC makes sense for one of the TV's, but I would recommend maintaining a separate tuner for the other TV.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:10 PM   #8

Thanks for the suggestions. I plan to use a Flat Screen computer monitor for the front TV so I can display a GPS and map program also (poor mans GPS with a huge screen). I have decided to table the idea until later this year as I've a new higher res standard becomes available. Computer monitors currently do not allow the resolution of a LCD. Of course, there is always the use of an LCD TV for a monitor...
Old 06-19-2007, 08:38 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club

This LCD is at Costco (brand is Vizio) for a great price and take a look at the Inputs/Outputs listed!
I can vouch for the picture clarity from all angles

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:14 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I recently purchased a LCD TV that has an excellent picture. It's a 27-inch and I use it in the moho as a replacement for the 90 lb 27-inch monster that was mounted above our heads. I did not however, remount it in the same place. My wife and I can't stand having to sit and crane our necks to look up so high to see the set. Since the new LCD is so light I built a small cabinet and it's now eye level while sitting just like at home.

By the way this TV, like many of the new ones, has multiple inputs including a PC connection.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:07 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob (WA0MQE):
I recently purchased a LCD TV that has an excellent picture. It's a 27-inch and I use it in the moho as a replacement for the 90 lb 27-inch monster that was mounted above our heads. I did not however, remount it in the same place. My wife and I can't stand having to sit and crane our necks to look up so high to see the set. Since the new LCD is so light I built a small cabinet and it's now eye level while sitting just like at home.

By the way this TV, like many of the new ones, has multiple inputs including a PC connection. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Bob, I am interested in doing the same thing to our motorhome. Do yu have a brand name and model for the TV you purchased? Got any pictures for the cabinet you built and location within the coach?

Dieselclacker
Old 06-21-2007, 04:03 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
The TV is a Westinghouse LTV27-HD it's a High Definition LCD. We purchased it from Best Buy last January. I thin we paid a little under $500. Probably cheaper by now.

The cabinet I built is a temporary one, but I'm in the process of building a final, matching wood (dark cherry) cabinet. The cabinet sits on the floor behind the passenger front seat. We had a large recliner chair that we seldom used, so I took it out and the cabinet is up against the wall (not touching) between the passenger seat and the entry door. This places it almost directly across from the coach (which we plan to replace with two matching recliners.) I haven't quite decided how to permanently mount it and/or if I will mount the TV to it. Right now I just carry the TV on the bed covered with a blanket while traveling. It's so light it's real easy to carry around.

I have the wiring for the TV, ran down behind the rightside windshield post plastic cover then down behind the dash to the floor. Then it runs along the floor to the TV covered with a cable cover stuck to the wall at floor level.

Note: we put a large Ansel Adams picture in the old tv hole in the overhead. This matched the other Ansel Adams photos in the moho.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:59 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bob (WA0MQE):
$500. Probably cheaper by now.

The cabinet I built is a temporary one, but I'm in the process of building a final, matching wood (dark cherry) cabinet. The cabinet sits on the floor behind the passenger front seat.

Bob, thanks for the info on TV. I have the same layout as your motorhome, and was pondering putting a flatscreen on the wall in the space behind the passenger seat. I too don't think too much of the original location of TV, (head knocker, and neck strainer)

Dieselclacker