Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2021, 04:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Most coaches are typically set up, since about 2007, with a BIRD type of charging system that switches back ad forth between the chassis batteries and house batteries when on shore power. It's a fairly new coach, but it may not be charging the chassis batteries. Your driving it, may have been enough to get them back up, but another prolonged sitting spell may drain them again. You need to check that they're charging when on shore power.

We leave our inverter on 24/7/365. When camping, a power outage can shut everything down unnecessarily. I know it's not important to some, but it can shut down television receivers, which then must reboot, kill clocks on the microwave, alarm clocks, CPAP machines etc. With the inverter left on, the coach will seamlessly continue to run.

We've been running a Magnum Inverter on three different DP's for over 10 years. No excess wear and tear and no issues.
Thanks, Don! I appreciate the feedback.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2021, 09:43 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE= Everything engine related seems to be working ok while the engine is running (particularly the motorized steps) but as soon as you shut it off, no start, no steps. Hook up to shore power, starts fine, steps work fine.
[/QUOTE]

UNPLUG 30-minutes to dissipate the (false High Voltage readings from charger) (surface charge voltage)I would first check coach battery condition, water, connections, voltage, etc, then check 12vdc CIRCUIT BREAKERS near Battery; if the one that connects chassis to coach batteries is tripped, nothing charges from alternator. RESET if needed? If all seems good, with meter on coach battery/ies, crank engine and see if voltage goes up; if no increase, a (BIRD Device/ or Battery Manager or simple IGN controlled CHARGE SOLENOID) is bad. How equipped/ device type= varies w/ MFR/vintage/ style equipment. You MIGHT even have a bad battery/ies?
Old 11-04-2021, 12:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
Thanks, Don! I appreciate the feedback.
Charging doesn't switch back and forth.

The inverter charger is always charging the house batteries.
The BIRD system controls connecting the chassis battery to the house batteries for charging as needed.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 01:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
#1, before throwing money at a problem, have you checked to see if the alternator is actually working? You do this by checking voltage at battery terminals with engine running.. Over 13V means the alternator is working.

There is no valid reason the inverter should be on while on shore power, I'd turn it off to eliminate wear on components.
Hey, Ray. Sorry that it's taken me so long to test this but we've been travelling over the holidays (without the RV) and I just now had the time to check it.

I turned off power at the pedestal and was surprised to see that the engine started on battery power. (Had I been thinking ahead of time, I would have gotten a battery reading at that moment.) I then turned it off and let it sit for about half an hour. Sure enough, it would not turn over at that point. I started it again (with assistance from the Aux Start switch) and then went out to test it. With the engine running, the terminals gave me a reading of 14.1-ish, so I'm thinking the alternator is doing its job ok. I turned the engine off and took a reading of just the battery and got 11.4. A while later, this had dropped to 10.9. Based on all of this, I'm thinking the battery is simply shot and quickly dispersing any stored energy. Before I simply throw $200 at this, does this sound correct to you?

EDIT-- I also cleaned the terminals and connectors thoroughly while I was doing all of this.
Old 01-05-2022, 01:34 PM   #19

Absolutely correct. Replace battery.

Classic symptoms of massive self discharge.
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 01:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Absolutely correct. Replace battery.

Classic symptoms of massive self discharge.
Thanks, Paul!
Old 01-05-2022, 05:58 PM   #21

Leave your inverter/charger on so that your house batteries will be charged. That is SOP.
bentjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:43 PM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
BEST Practice= SAFETY GLASSES, Pull the chassis battery, check/adjust water levels, and DATE**, terminals/corrosion, THEN CHARGE OVERNIGHT, then disconnect 30-minutes, Check voltage, and LOAD TEST. (**If over 36-mo (or 60-mo on some?) replace anyway.) My coach battery lasted 7-yrs, chassis battery lasted 10-yrs.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:49 PM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjm View Post
Leave your inverter/charger on so that your house batteries will be charged. That is SOP.

MIGHT BE OF INTEREST TO NOTE THAT MOST iNVERTERS DESIGNED FOR RV "AUTO SWITCH" from INVERTER MODE to CONVERTER/CHARGER MODEwhen shoreline power is sensed.
Old 01-06-2022, 12:15 AM   #24

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Terminology? "Dry camping"? (To me, would imply dry tank, no city water, so drains open up?) ... or do you have an antifreeze suction line valve open, or pump connections loose from Winterizing/draining? Or something froze/split?
Old 01-06-2022, 07:18 AM   #25
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
#1, before throwing money at a problem, have you checked to see if the alternator is actually working? You do this by checking voltage at battery terminals with engine running.. Over 13V means the alternator is working.

There is no valid reason the inverter should be on while on shore power, I'd turn it off to eliminate wear on components.
Ditto:

Except keeping the inverter on in my case keeps the Directv boxes happy when there is a temporary power outage. It takes forever for those darn things to recover and reset after a power outage.

Since you are on shoreline you should see 13.5 or more on the engine batteries without the engine running. This would mean they are getting charged.

But it does not mean they do not have an internal issue. I have seen brand new batteries bad so age is not always the factor here.

With shoreline off put a voltmeter across the batteries and hit the ignition key. Loose connections can exhibit these symptoms so measure at the center of the battery posts to begin. IF the voltage holds well then begin carefully moving your voltmeter to each connection you can find.

If it is a bad connection is should be close because using the aux start function eliminates the path to the starter and solenoid.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 07:32 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Ditto:

Except keeping the inverter on in my case keeps the Directv boxes happy when there is a temporary power outage. It takes forever for those darn things to recover and reset after a power outage.

Since you are on shoreline you should see 13.5 or more on the engine batteries without the engine running. This would mean they are getting charged.

But it does not mean they do not have an internal issue. I have seen brand new batteries bad so age is not always the factor here.

With shoreline off put a voltmeter across the batteries and hit the ignition key. Loose connections can exhibit these symptoms so measure at the center of the battery posts to begin. IF the voltage holds well then begin carefully moving your voltmeter to each connection you can find.

If it is a bad connection is should be close because using the aux start function eliminates the path to the starter and solenoid.
I was getting >13.5 without engine running (while attached to shore power) and the engine did start immediately after I cut shore power. However, 20-30 minutes later, it would not start and the reading had dropped to <12 and continued to fall. I also got >13.5 while engine was running (disconnected from shore power). If I'm understanding, it's obvious that both shore power and alternator are doing their job in attempting to charge the battery, it's just that the battery is not holding that charge for more than a few minutes. Correct?
Old 01-06-2022, 08:44 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The only time I turn my inverter on is if I'm going to use it. Even on standby it is using electricity and is subject to wear and tear.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 01:58 PM   #28
YC1

Yep, batteries shot. If you have two 12 volters in parallel one might be ok but just that. I never change just one and it is handy having a spare laying about to test things with.

But as a full timer you likely have no place for one.

I measure the battery holes and fill them. I never buy those long life ones. Most likely going to change them far before that and try to get some warranty out of them can be difficult

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, electric, electrical, water