Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2011, 02:35 PM   #1

tying 6v batteries together?

I have a 90.5 blunder with solar panel and two 6v batteries tied together. Are you supposed to connect them by positive on one battery to negative on other battery? Solar panel is working-i have 18.5 volts running thru it.
RAM1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
KIX

To get 12 volts from two 6 volt batteries you would connect the neg on one to the pos on the other. That will leave you one neg and one pos terminal free (one on each battery) that you connect your load to.
AS to the 18.5 volts from your solar panel.........I hope you have a controller to reduce the voltage as 18 volts will cook your batteries
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
You are correct about the configuration. After you connect the batteries together as stated connect up the pos and neg feeds from the coach to the batteries.

18.5 volts going to your batteries is too high and will boil the electrolyte. Do you have a controller to regulate the voltage??
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to BlauMax
Hope you also have a diode in the solar system to keep things from going in reverse at night..
Old 09-02-2011, 06:13 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome Ram1961 from us in Whitehall. Did you measure the 18.5 VDC at no load?
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:53 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM1961 View Post
I have a 90.5 blunder with solar panel and two 6v batteries tied together. Are you supposed to connect them by positive on one battery to negative on other battery? Solar panel is working-i have 18.5 volts running thru it.
check this resource.

Electrical Tutorial
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:16 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Also look here: The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:05 AM   #8

Thanks for all the info. I don't know about a controller or diode. Not even sure where to look. This system and hwh levelling system are the only two components that didn't have a manual.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:42 AM   #9

If that solar panel is one of those cuts little square battery minder types, you may get 18.5 volts, but next to nothing in the way of amps. Boiling a batt with one of those, especially 6 volt deep cycle is next to impossible.

A larger panel is another story, and NO, I am not implying I know which is in use.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
If that solar panel is one of those cuts little square battery minder types, you may get 18.5 volts, but next to nothing in the way of amps. Boiling a batt with one of those, especially 6 volt deep cycle is next to impossible.

A larger panel is another story, and NO, I am not implying I know which is in use.

Ed
its about a foot square. The 18.5 volts I read was from a line straight off solar panel that was not connected to anything at the time. Its for the chassis battery which I monitored all weekend when I connected it. With it connected, the chassis battery never read more than 12.7 volts while not running. I ran to sandpoint and replaced both 6v batteries with new electric golf cart batteries. That system stayed steady at 12.5 volts when motor wasn't running. So perhaps there is some controlling device?

Now to get onan 6500 nhe genset running. Got new spark plugs but didn't bring gap gauge. Old plugs ran well for 5 minutes then started surging and wavering then died. Wait 20 minutes and repeat. Got everything else to work.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ram,
Didn't know you had the small panel. by the time that voltage gets to the batteries it should be down to about 13 or 14 volts because of the voltage drop to the batteries.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskymt View Post
Welcome Ram1961 from us in Whitehall. Did you measure the 18.5 VDC at no load?
Thanks for welcome. I have customers there....too
Old 09-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM1961 View Post
its about a foot square. The 18.5 volts I read was from a line straight off solar panel that was not connected to anything at the time. Its for the chassis battery which I monitored all weekend when I connected it. With it connected, the chassis battery never read more than 12.7 volts while not running. I ran to sandpoint and replaced both 6v batteries with new electric golf cart batteries. That system stayed steady at 12.5 volts when motor wasn't running. So perhaps there is some controlling device?

Now to get onan 6500 nhe genset running. Got new spark plugs but didn't bring gap gauge. Old plugs ran well for 5 minutes then started surging and wavering then died. Wait 20 minutes and repeat. Got everything else to work.

That solar panel is only good to MAINTAIN a fully charged battery, not enough oomp there do any charging. Direct connection is fine, not enough amperage to do any damage.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries