Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2021, 08:20 PM   #1

Unsupported Travel Hitch Carrier Tongue Weight Question

Hey everyone I am new here.

I hope I am posting this in the correct forum but I need help.

So here is my dilemma. I have a 2006 sprinter 2500 with a tongue weight of 500.

I have a hitch that can hold 1000#.

Has anyone reinforced the frame so it can handle more weight. I really only need another 100#'s so it can hold my gear.

Any help is appreciated.
Artstwantab is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2021, 08:57 PM   #2

Take trailer to a weld/fabricator shop, a trailer reapir shop etc and have then add reinforcements

Cargo rack/gear even if 500# or less needs reinforcements
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Take trailer to a weld/fabricator shop, a trailer reapir shop etc and have then add reinforcements

Cargo rack/gear even if 500# or less needs reinforcements

I am in the San Francisco Bay Area. Can anyone suggest a shop?
Old 09-28-2021, 08:15 AM   #4

Higher capacity trailer hitches

Before you weld your existing hitch on, check out higher capacity hitches. A good source with available expert advice is

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...ch-pt-Class_IV
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 11:03 AM   #5

On a Sprinter, it’s not the hitch that imposes the limitations, it’s the frame extensions which Daimler adds for motorhome chassis. Crawl under there and you will see the extensions bolted on to lengthen the frame behind the rear wheels. That’s what would need to be reinforced. The hitch may or may not be OK depending on the specificproductinstalledby the coach manufacturer. I suggest looking for a part number and seeing what the hitch manufacturer rated it at.
Shadow5501 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 11:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5501 View Post
On a Sprinter, it’s not the hitch that imposes the limitations, it’s the frame extensions which Daimler adds for motorhome chassis. Crawl under there and you will see the extensions bolted on to lengthen the frame behind the rear wheels. That’s what would need to be reinforced. The hitch may or may not be OK depending on the specificproductinstalledby the coach manufacturer. I suggest looking for a part number and seeing what the hitch manufacturer rated it at.
The extensions are inadequate for more than 350# because they didn't create a box on the end of the channels and they are only bolting the hitch onto the lower flange. Guaranteed to tear that flange downward. We have seen pictures here of some damaged Ford frame extensions that fail because of this.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:05 PM   #7

I really appreciate everyones response.

I could use all the help I can get. So its my first time doing something like this. I bought Curt hitch that is rated at 1000# so I figured I am good.

After reading more I found some threads that said if the manufacture says 500#'s that is the maximum allowed. Huh? So I called Curt and they confirmed that is correct that their hitch it tested to handle 1000# but the manufactures frame is only rated at 500.

Ignorant mistake.

So I am trying to find a safe way to carry 600-700 #'s.

I don't want to pull a trailer.

I want to make sure I pick the right shop and someone who has experience.

I am in California but I will travel in someone has another recommendation.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5501 View Post

Its not a coach but a converted cargo van. I just goofed on my understanding of what tongue weight was. When I saw hitched being advertised as 1000#'s I assumed it was the stock hitch that could handle the 500#'s
Old 09-28-2021, 08:13 PM   #9

What is the rating on your hitch-mounted carrier?
Old 09-28-2021, 08:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
What is the rating on your hitch-mounted carrier?

Its going to be custom made to handle the gear if I can't find a carrier.

The ones I saw for wheel chairs and such say 500#'s.

I was hoping to have one built or find one that is flat like this.

But mine only needs to be 31 inches deep and 51" wide.

Old 09-28-2021, 08:38 PM   #11

That's not a Hitch-haul type of rack or even a wheel chair rack. It has a proprietary two point mount independent of the hitch you just bought.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
That's not a Hitch-haul type of rack or even a wheel chair rack. It has a proprietary two point mount independent of the hitch you just bought.

No No. That is not what I have. I only have the hitch as of now. I haven't purchased the carrier because after more research I realized my tongue weight is an issue.

The above example it what I prefer it to look like but this is what I see often.

Old 09-29-2021, 04:30 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I have the basic 550lb hitch carrier 28x54 or so.. Hitch mount..

Once I had about 450lbs on it,, normally 220-300...

I Have RV MH , Ford 190 wheelbase, it has frame extensions.. I had reinforced it some, mainly for the 7x16 trailer that is approx 4500 and I keep tongue weight 400-500ish..
It hold up fine BUT ...

When I have the carrier I use ratchet straps on each side/end and cinch them to the rear tube bumper.. The Carrier rocks and flops , the more you use it the more it flops.. I have seen other get cracks ....
I also re drilled the hole to keep carrier as close to the bumper as I can,,

Over hung weight is what you are producing here and you want it minimized..

Adding 1000lb carrier at over 30 inches hang...IMO s going to kill your sprinter or cause way too much lift on your front tires..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:43 AM   #14

I must be confusing people somehow so let me fill in all the details in one post for anyone wanting to help.

2006 Sprinter 2500
OEM Tongue Weight 500#'s

I have a Curt 14250 that has a maximum tongue weight of 1000#'s

I am looking for options to safely increase my tongue weight to 600#s.

Based on my calculations my total load will be between 500-600's

I have not purchased a hitch carrier.

Tags
weight, travel, tongue weight, hitch