Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2007, 03:07 AM   #1

Well we made it home from Yellowstone National Park. We went to our dealer and they stated that the transmission for our Liberty was in and would be installed this week!. They said that we must have had some weakpart in the tranny to cause it to fail. Quote " you did nothing wrong". The mechanic did recommend a pump be installed. Don't tow that far without disconnecting the car and running her around the block. They are giving me a free rental while they fix the car. Oh I did check on the "REMCO" that was recommended for our driveshaft. When viewing that site we found that they don't have a diconnect lever for the drive shaft due to VIBRATION problems with the Jeeps. They must have discovered that after some failing.
campernut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2007, 03:07 AM   #2

Well we made it home from Yellowstone National Park. We went to our dealer and they stated that the transmission for our Liberty was in and would be installed this week!. They said that we must have had some weakpart in the tranny to cause it to fail. Quote " you did nothing wrong". The mechanic did recommend a pump be installed. Don't tow that far without disconnecting the car and running her around the block. They are giving me a free rental while they fix the car. Oh I did check on the "REMCO" that was recommended for our driveshaft. When viewing that site we found that they don't have a diconnect lever for the drive shaft due to VIBRATION problems with the Jeeps. They must have discovered that after some failing.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:36 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The mechanic did recommend a pump be installed. Don't tow that far without disconnecting the car and running her around the block. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does this mean the mechanic thought there would not have had the problem if you drove the Liberty a few times during the trip?

I'm asking because I also tow an 04 Liberty.

Space Coast, FL
JJ Hamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 04:09 AM   #4

it sounds like it JHmamick. Last year we went from IL to Rapid City, Sd with no problems. I think that the extra mileage to yellowstone was the issue. I may have the lube pump installed to avoid this issue in the future. Plus start the car more frequently. We didn't so anything until we reached Yellowstone. Iknow that we had about 14 other Jeep liberty owners at the yellowstone campground who were also very concerned to. It was a bummer. We were just verylucky that we stayed in town so we could rent a car. Chrysler is paying for that rental too!
Old 07-01-2007, 05:20 AM   #5

Thanks for the reply. Hope everything works out for you. Sounds like it is. Nice to know Jeep stands by their product...JJH

Space Coast, FL
JJ Hamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:19 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm kind of confused. Do you have a 4x4 or a 4x2? My 04 Liberty says to put the transfer case in neutral and the auto in park, and thats it. It's been towed over 30k miles now, a couple of times more than 1k with doing nothing but towing. No problems with the jeep at all.

2004 Allegro 32BA W20
al koffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:08 AM   #7

Al Kaufman it is a 4x4
Old 07-02-2007, 02:54 AM   #8

Al iam with you? We have a 2002 liberty and have been towing it for 4 years amd havent had any problems our is a 4x4 too. Must be something with the new ones?

Retired 22 years
teeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:46 AM   #9

Another vote for the Liberty. We tow a 2002 and have never had a problem. Just transfer case in neutral and trans in park. In the past I have heard of problems with the transfer case not getting properly in neutral so I always double check it.

& Phooey
Jim & Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:31 PM   #10

We have a 2006 Liberty 4x4, no problems and tows great! The owners manual provides excellent directions for towing behind a RV. What year model Liberty 4x4 requires a transmission pump for towing in netural?

2006 Liberty Toad
Onthroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:42 AM   #11

Some of the newer Liberty have transmission problems, there may be a recall on some of them...seems to me i was reading about that somewhere...
Old 07-08-2007, 02:48 AM   #12

Well we always pull out the manual and follow step by step even thou we do this on a regular basis. Jwaldick's reply seems to agree with our dealers response that some of them just had weak trannys. Trust me I did a lot of research and that is why we bought the car due to reliability but never saw the articles on the tranys. I always knew the Jeep Cherokee has always had tranny issues. We live near the Chrysler plant and have lots of friends who clued me in. Liberty was the safe one to buy. Oh and we always confirm that we have a free floating car before hooking it up and after hooking it up.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:51 AM   #13

Onthroad. Our mechanic, after all the happened, said that parts are still spinning and still need lubing. (My comment was thanks for letting us know that before!) I wasn't happy I certainly would have added that since we were very clear that it was going to be towed.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:24 AM   #14

I've been reading this with interest and thought I would jump in.
If you put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in park, the transmission is not turning when you tow. The transfer case and differentials are turning, but not the transmission.