Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2021, 09:12 PM   #57

I'm out of popcorn 🍿 😩
Terradriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2021, 09:35 PM   #58

It’s free refills.
Wildbuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:38 PM   #59
JWA

May have missed it, but when did you last change your crankcase filter.
On my 2013 Cummins, it should have been done at the 5 year mark, but the shop that does my work missed it and it was not changed until year 9 service.
Old 12-06-2021, 12:33 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian2604 View Post
Nothing but trouble with a Cummins engine. I have replaced 6 injectors the first time and 1 injector and a lift spring the second time. The cylinder was scored by the lose spring moving around and had to be relined. I have had to replace the 3 piece exhaust manifold. My 500 horse Cummins diesel has cost me close to $40,000 over the last two years. If you don’t have money to spare, stick with a gas engine. You could have some major diesel engine repairs coming up. Wait till you see the clouds of white smoke and the noise coming from your diesel and then the fun begins. Diesels are extremely expensive to keep running. Good luck and put money aside for repairs. My diesel had less than 70,000 miles on it when it needed all those repairs. Diesels lasting a half million miles is just a myth put out by diesel makers.
No, this is wrong. His is an ISC, an engine that is a common sight in large trucks. We have semi tractors at work using the same basic design, though now called the L9.-we also have a tractor with over 570,000 HARD miles on an ISX15. While the tractor feels pretty worn out, the engine is fine...starts instantly even cold and pulls hard.

My bus is over 330,000 miles.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 02:23 AM   #61

My vote is operator error.
BUTCHPHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 04:04 AM   #62

Think I am down to it being in the fuel, the inter-cooler or was burned. Eager to see the cause.
blueridgedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:51 AM   #63

Are you positively sure that you put the proper amount of oil in the first place ? At this point after all you have checked, this does not make sense.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:04 AM   #64

If you have no leaks and are not seeing white smoke from the exhaust then you need to check the blow-by. If you do have that much blow-by then there should be signs of that in the engine bay. It should be covered with oily residue given the one quart every 30 miles or so consumption, which is a staggering amount.

A quick test is to loosen but not remove the oil filler cap from the top of the engine with the engine running. If your compression rings are good and there is no blow-by then the oil cap should rest in in place without being bumped out by the crank case pressure. If, however it is pushed out by crank case pressure then you may have one or more cylinders with excessive blow-by.

If you have the skillset and the tools you can run a compression test but that is quite a bit more involved and requires removing the injectors from the engine. But before going that far, have a Cummins diesel professional run a more comprehensive blow-by test first.
Romeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:42 AM   #65

Do you buy your oil in gal containers if so you forgot one and burn't 2 qts

2cents
sledbiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:01 AM   #66

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Oil Loss

How long have you been using synthetic oil?
My diesel guy says it can cause damage to gaskets and seals.
SCSeaside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:38 AM   #67

WOW!!

If I had lost all that oil, and knew as much about your engine as you do, I'd be doing a lot of talking to myself. It would be driving me crazy.

Here's an idea...Fill the motor with the correct amount of oil, and take it for another drive. Say, about 100 miles. See if the problem duplicates itself by losing 3.5 quarts. This would eliminate possible owner error.

Good Luck....

Skip
Killingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:16 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
May have missed it, but when did you last change your crankcase filter.
On my 2013 Cummins, it should have been done at the 5 year mark, but the shop that does my work missed it and it was not changed until year 9 service.
Mine has none...
Old 12-06-2021, 08:29 AM   #69

I'll try to answer the questions

The engine was between the marks since last change and at that time I added almost two cases of Amsoil, so yes it was the proper amount. This is the first time in almost a year (since last change) that the oil was not at the correct level.

The blow-by test is on the schedule to perform once I'm able to muscle that air filter back into place and fill engine with fresh oil. Also some other checks my diesel mechanic friend suggested yesterday as I have previously posted.

I do plan on running a short trip if I come up empty after all my checks are done and yes, it is driving me crazy.

If all of this turns up nothing, including the test run, then I turn to the second to last possible alternative. The final campground this year (I call it unfriendly valley) was where we encounter the monsoon like rains nonstop. So either the intake filter can was temporarily plugged with water, which caused the engine to suck it from the pan or it was tampered with.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:41 AM   #70

My 2003 5.9 Cummins failed at 74,000 miles, and had to be towed to Cummins. They want $49,700 to replace it.
VanPaepeghem is offline   Reply With Quote