Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2021, 08:58 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanPaepeghem View Post
My 2003 5.9 Cummins failed at 74,000 miles, and had to be towed to Cummins. They want $49,700 to replace it.
Find another garage. You can buy a new reman for under 5K.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2021, 08:59 AM   #72

In doing more research prior to today's testing, I discovered a CAPS pump could cause this issue.
Old 12-06-2021, 09:01 AM   #73

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanPaepeghem View Post
My 2003 5.9 Cummins failed at 74,000 miles, and had to be towed to Cummins. They want $49,700 to replace it.
A friend of mine just went through the exact same problem.
It ended up being the injectors not sealing and allowing oil to be returned to the fuel tank.
Check your fuel filter and see if the fuel is darker then normal.
I know this sounds odd but he had the injectors replaced and the problem went away.
Your injectors may be able to be rebuilt.
TIFFIN34PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:28 AM   #74

After reading all that has been checked I would get a fuel sample tested before doing a refill and test drive.
mmalone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 02:14 PM   #75

After the second page I have skipped to the end of the novella. I agree that that much oil HAS to go somewhere. If it’s out the exhaust, the tailpipe will be dripping and emitting blue smoke along with the back of the coach being covered, slobber tube will have crap all over it…. SOMETHING. I too would test fuel and the oil but not sure what they would be detecting in the crank.

No smoke, no leaks, puddles, knocking, etc…. refill the oil and drive 20 miles, that should be good for close to a quart loss to prove this isn’t just an Oopsie .

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 02:26 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian2604 View Post
Nothing but trouble with a Cummins engine. I have replaced 6 injectors the first time and 1 injector and a lift spring the second time. The cylinder was scored by the lose spring moving around and had to be relined. I have had to replace the 3 piece exhaust manifold. My 500 horse Cummins diesel has cost me close to $40,000 over the last two years. If you don’t have money to spare, stick with a gas engine. You could have some major diesel engine repairs coming up. Wait till you see the clouds of white smoke and the noise coming from your diesel and then the fun begins. Diesels are extremely expensive to keep running. Good luck and put money aside for repairs. My diesel had less than 70,000 miles on it when it needed all those repairs. Diesels lasting a half million miles is just a myth put out by diesel makers.
you need to find a better mechanic. Then go to any truck stop, call them all liars for claiming they’re driving million mile engines. Then consider running like hell..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 02:46 PM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
I have had some really strange things to happen to my 2002 ISC. After I changed the oil and made a trip to New England in the fall one year, I discovered about 2 and 1/2 quarts missing(regular Shell 15W-40). The engine continued to use a little oil for my next two trips. Then all was well. Still haven't figured that out. I do my own servicing. Some time later I experienced oil level rise on one trip. Went to Cummins that time. Of course that was a useless $550 spent(no fuel in the pan). I have decided things just/are going to happen that must be investigated. So, due to our investment...we must proceed with caution. Sorry for your problem. Just try not to let it get you down.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 03:06 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
I have had some really strange things to happen to my 2002 ISC. After I changed the oil and made a trip to New England in the fall one year, I discovered about 2 and 1/2 quarts missing(regular Shell 15W-40). The engine continued to use a little oil for my next two trips. Then all was well. Still haven't figured that out. I do my own servicing. Some time later I experienced oil level rise on one trip. Went to Cummins that time. Of course that was a useless $550 spent(no fuel in the pan). I have decided things just/are going to happen that must be investigated. So, due to our investment...we must proceed with caution. Sorry for your problem. Just try not to let it get you down.

Thank you I appreciate the encouragement.
Monkey Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 03:09 PM   #79

update

Turbo to intercooler is clear, no oil. Exhaust is dry and soot covered.
Fuel tank is clear no oil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211206_170228.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	350799  
Old 12-06-2021, 05:23 PM   #80

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So your missing roughly two milk jugs of oil with no obvious explanation. Well oil isn't cheap, is it possible some poor sap could have helped himself to your oil pan? Do you have a quick drain valve?

(Above comment is somewhat tongue in cheek).
Old 12-06-2021, 08:37 PM   #81

Winnebago Owners Club
Do me a favor and I will go away forever. Remove the drain plug and see if anything comes out. I don’t have faith in your evacuator. Won’t take but five
minutes. Thanks.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 04:43 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow46 View Post
Do me a favor and I will go away forever. Remove the drain plug and see if anything comes out. I don’t have faith in your evacuator. Won’t take but five
minutes. Thanks.
Still my best guess.
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 05:15 AM   #83

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
minutes. Thanks.
I've used oil evacuators in the past and they work just fine. The only caveat is that you have to make sure you've got the hose all the way down to the bottom of the oil pan.
In a boat with an inboard engine, or at least the boats I owned, there is zero chance of removing the drain plug because the engine is mounted so close to the hull of the boat that you can't get a wrench on the plug. And even if you could there isn't enough space to actually get the plug out before it hits the hull. Using an evacuator to remove the oil was the only choice. The one I used had quart markings on it. I could see how much oil I took out. When I put in the amount of oil that the engine required the oil was right on the 'full' line of the dipstick. As long as you're paying attention you can be sure that you've taken out and put in the correct amount of oil.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:18 AM   #84

Quote:
minutes. Thanks.
I refilled yesterday with 24 quarts. Nothing shows on dipstick so now I'm truly confused.