Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2021, 10:00 AM   #99

I have no solutions but sure am curious how 24 quarts (six gallons!) of oil can just ‘disappear’. Reminds me of Harley oil change threads… after an ‘oil change’ and fill, oil doesn’t register on the dipstick. Or after a transmission fluid change, the fluid is too high. New owners drain the wrong pan or fill the wrong fill. You wouldn’t think that could happen but it sure does. Can’t wait to hear the resolution on this one. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2021, 11:32 AM   #100

https://www.thedieselgarage.com/thre...l-tank.108468/

You've checked everything, into the fuel tank is about the only place it can be going.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:40 AM   #101

NO, I would not continue to add oil in addition to the oil capacity spec for your engine.

Overfilling by, say 7 quarts is NOT a good idea! Think crankshaft slapping into oil, excessive blow-by, potential gasket/seal issues.
Old 12-07-2021, 12:57 PM   #102

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Look at the dipstick cap portion too for some abnormality or obstruction. Also, I'm sure you are aware of this, but even a slightly non-level coach will give out incorrect readings on the dipstick.

Hope you figure this one out for peace of mind!
Old 12-07-2021, 05:35 PM   #103

I have the Solution for your problem,,Pay close attention to what I say because this is how I fixed my problem with the last Coach we had. Unload all of your storage compartments then unload everything inside ,then go get your wife to sit in the passenger seat and both of you go for a ride in the Motorhome. While you are riding around go by your RV Dealer and Trade that SUCKER in and let somebody else worry about were the 7 quarts of oil went to …PROBLEM SOLVED..I did this when nobody could find my Roof Leak…..(including Newmar).
Florida Rang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 05:50 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Rang View Post
I have the Solution for your problem,,Pay close attention to what I say because this is how I fixed my problem with the last Coach we had. Unload all of your storage compartments then unload everything inside ,then go get your wife to sit in the passenger seat and both of you go for a ride in the Motorhome. While you are riding around go by your RV Dealer and Trade that SUCKER in and let somebody else worry about were the 7 quarts of oil went to …PROBLEM SOLVED..I did this when nobody could find my Roof Leak…..(including Newmar).

Can we assume that you disclosed to the dealer that the roof leaked?
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:35 PM   #105

A thought crossed my mind... scary I know. With full capacity per the manual 6.3gal nothing is showing. I wonder whether this is the extra capacity pan and I never really paid attention to it.
Not even certain how much extra that might be.

Tomorrow I'll be finishing the air filter install, which is mission impossible by yourself. At that point we run, watch and also the coach will be in normal height attitude which might, might change the dip reading. Looks level to me that way it sits now though.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:13 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
A thought crossed my mind... scary I know. With full capacity per the manual 6.3gal nothing is showing. I wonder whether this is the extra capacity pan and I never really paid attention to it.

Tomorrow I'll be finishing the air filter install, which is mission impossible by yourself. At that point we run, watch and also the coach will be in normal height attitude which might, might change the dip reading. Looks level to me that way it sits now though.
Still not clear how that will account for six gallons of missing oil. How deep can an extra-capacity pan be that 24 quarts of oil don’t show on a dipstick… a dipstick and oil quantity you’ve been using for some time. I don’t even own a diesel but want to know the ending of this story. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 12:27 AM   #107

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, Got ME confused; internet search says DURAMAX OIL CAPACITY= 9.2 to 10.5qts (with/without filter)... what are you saying holds 24+qts?
Old 12-08-2021, 12:54 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Rang View Post
No value post.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 12:57 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
Well, Got ME confused; internet search says DURAMAX OIL CAPACITY= 9.2 to 10.5qts (with/without filter)... what are you saying holds 24+qts?
That's not that much for a medium duty or larger diesel. My bus takes 7 gallons. The tractors at work take between 30 (Cummins L9) and 44 (ISX 15) quarts.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 03:52 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post

Hmmm you sure about that? My Dodge pickup 5.9 Cummins holds 20 plus quarts.
Monkey Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:26 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post

Now you are starting to go down the deep rabbit hole. You had put the right amount in previously and it measured full, so the capacity of the pan has not changed.
blueridgedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:56 AM   #112

In the presence of tons of confounding information, a cornerstone of problem solving is to confirm what you think you know.

If this is stated in the 8 pages, I have missed it. Is this the first time that YOU have changed oil in this particular engine?

Since you have the extractor, remove the oil you just put in, and confirm that you had the 24 quarts in the pan. If the oil is not in the pan, then check the dipstick on the tranny. All of us have zoned out at one time or another.

What makes you think you have an extra capacity oil pan? Found reference on the net? Matched the pan I have against a picture or specifications? How much oil is the extra capacity pan supposed to hold?

You are on to something with the refill not showing on the dipstick.

There are few causes that explain the 24qts not showing on the dipstick:

The oil did not reach the pan
The dipstick is not reading the correct depth
24 qts is not the correct amount

Think about how you can confirm each of the three.
RichardE is offline   Reply With Quote