Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2021, 01:20 PM   #127

I know your are getting bombarded with question, and I really don't want to add to the stress, but did you grasp the dipstick tube to see if it moves up and down. If it does, that movement could allow you to under-fill or overfill the sump depending on the movement and position the dipstick was in at any given time.

As for tampering, it is a possibility, Last spring, when I pulled my coach out of storage and had the oil changed, not much oil came out. My 8.3L Cummins never used oil, those this was shocking. 8K+ miles over the summer, zero oil consumed. Can't help think that someone was in desperate need of oil and pinched a few gallons. We will see what this spring brings, if we have the same mysterious disappearance.
'95 Safari Serengeti 38', 300hp 6CTA8.3L Cummins, 6spd. Allison, Pac brake, Magnum chassis, Valvet Ride (torsilastic susp.), VW Jetta TDI toad, Big tripple bay window (from floor to ceiling cabinets)!!!
beach house is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2021, 07:18 PM   #128

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny367 View Post
This thread is like reading an Agatha Christie novel. Full of mystery and suspense, I read it everyday in hopes that we will learn the cause of "The case of the Missing Oil"
I truly am intrigued as to what the cause turns out to be!
More like Mulder and Scully from X Files to me !
No way that amount of Oil can disapear in that short of time without evidence somewhere- Please post something that make sense to me ! And How in the world can a fuel filter that supplies fuel 1 way from the pump backflow with oil ?
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 04:46 AM   #129

some progress

After my back correction visit yesterday I went mentally through everything again. Focusing upon what I know, I lowered the coach to be certain it is level, started it and allowed to run just a couple of minutes while watching gauges. All appears normal so shut down and checked oil. No leaks under and nothing inside valve cover. Oil level has returned to normal!

However, I cannot explain the missing oil, so despite the fuel looking clear, I'm going to do an experiment today. Using a clear container I'll mix a 50:1 ratio of clean fuel and my old oil to verify that indeed, fuel would be tinted had my oil disappeared in it. So well see..

Additionally, the transfer pump began dripping fuel while it was priming, so now I need to go after that thing
Monkey Run is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:58 AM   #130

As bazar as it may sound, at this point with what you have stated, your disgruntled neighbor in the RV park, may very well have drained the seven missing quarts of oil. Your mention of the drain valve being so accessible raises the question. With what you have done so far, if it were mine, I would be on the road for a 200 mile trip to see if it repeats itself. If not, then vandalism may be the answer.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 11:34 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
As bazar as it may sound, at this point with what you have stated, your disgruntled neighbor in the RV park, may very well have drained the seven missing quarts of oil. Your mention of the drain valve being so accessible raises the question. With what you have done so far, if it were mine, I would be on the road for a 200 mile trip to see if it repeats itself. If not, then vandalism may be the answer.
Unless I find something in the fuel, I'm going to say it was purposely drained.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:40 AM   #132

PUMP

Fortunately, there is considerable information regarding the lifts pump leaking and how to try to tighten same, so that will be on the list for tomorrow. The pump itself is on national backorder. I called and searched online and nothing materializes. So, after speaking with the Fass Systems engineer, I'm relatively confident that it can successfully replace the Cummins lift pump. Have a price coming from the local dealer. If anyone has a better option, please advise.

Now, on to the shop to test that fuel.
Old 12-09-2021, 03:09 PM   #133

Monaco Owners Club
Best price I could find on a FASS pump was from Parley Diesel.

FASS Titanium Signature Series 100 GPH Lift Pump for 1998.5-2004 Dodge Ram 5.9L Cummins TSD08100G
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 04:16 PM   #134

Fuel Update

Picture 1 -Clear diesel from some I keep in a sealed jug, undiluted.

Picture 2 and 3 -Diluted to a ratio of 50:1 with some of the crankcase oil.

Picture 4 -View of oil pan drain
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211209_153048.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	351060   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211209_153848.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	351061  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211209_153916.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	351062   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211209_155859.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	351063  

Old 12-09-2021, 05:50 PM   #135

Sorry uncertain why picture is upside-down
Old 12-09-2021, 06:30 PM   #136

A little confusing. Is one of 2 or 3 direct from your fuel tank or are both a 50:1 that you made?
Old 12-09-2021, 07:36 PM   #137

First picture is fresh fuel others are the 50:1. The fuel in my tank is exactly like the clear sample. I drew small amount out to verify.
Old 12-09-2021, 08:19 PM   #138

It sounds like you found your problem. Oil not draining back to the pan properly. Most likely leaving by the vent tube.
Stormy
James Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:37 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Storm View Post
It sounds like you found your problem. Oil not draining back to the pan properly. Most likely leaving by the vent tube.
Stormy

I disagree. It would have left a trail of oil all over the back of the coach and Toad if towing.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:08 PM   #140

Not much more I can check. As I had mentioned, when I pulled the oil filter it had become less than hand tight, so there was some oil around the top etc. Just seems if that had been the cause, I would see oil all over the place.

So for now, unless the injectors are the issue and not showing up without higher RPMs, I'll say someone messed with it. Going to mark the oil level and run tomorrow after I tighten the lift pump. Hopefully that stops the leak.