Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2021, 11:49 AM   #169

Missing oil

My vote is still operator error. Presumably OP is retired and enjoys the mystery and intrigue, ha.
BUTCHPHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2021, 07:38 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUTCHPHI View Post
My vote is still operator error. Presumably OP is retired and enjoys the mystery and intrigue, ha.

Town Board Councilman, active fireman and treasurer of department. Also Board member of county water and sewer authorities. That's just the big stuff. Maintenance man of everything that breaks.

I hope you're correct Butch it means coach is 100% love the thought! That is barring theft or vandalism.
Monkey Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 08:22 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
Town Board Councilman, active fireman and treasurer of department. Also Board member of county water and sewer authorities. That's just the big stuff. Maintenance man of everything that breaks.

I hope you're correct Butch it means coach is 100% love the thought! That is barring theft or vandalism.
As many hats as you are wearing and irons in the fire pilot error is a possibility. You have done your due diligence looking for the missing oil. Seems like there is nothing more except to drive it and be vigilant.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 09:33 PM   #172

The type of turbulence that is under the engine when you are traveling at highway speeds would throw the oil everywhere, it it would very likely show up as an oil mess on the back of the coach and all over the toad.
'95 Safari Serengeti 38', 300hp 6CTA8.3L Cummins, 6spd. Allison, Pac brake, Magnum chassis, Valvet Ride (torsilastic susp.), VW Jetta TDI toad, Big tripple bay window (from floor to ceiling cabinets)!!!
beach house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 08:43 AM   #173

monkey run...After reading this never ending "mystery", I just have to ask....What would be wrong with just draining the engine thru the drain plug, since that is what it's for. That way you know it is empty, and you can fill it back up? Just wondering... MOMCAT
Old 12-14-2021, 09:06 AM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by momcat View Post
monkey run...After reading this never ending "mystery", I just have to ask....What would be wrong with just draining the engine thru the drain plug, since that is what it's for. That way you know it is empty, and you can fill it back up? Just wondering... MOMCAT
I agree with everyone regarding the leaks etc, now it's wait and see.

Momcat, the fitting I use replaces the lower drain plug and the machine sucks every bit out from that point. I switched to this system on my Cummins truck and on the motorhome due to the quantity of oil in them. It was impossible to not spill some while laying on my back playing catch as catch can with a bucket, so I moved to this system. It's actually a machine which is used for boats and other equipment on which the drain plug cannot be utilized.
Old 12-14-2021, 01:17 PM   #175

Used 7 quarts oil in less than 200 miles!

I slide a 5-gallon bucket under mine. Works like a champ. No mess.
I have to get under there to change the filter anyway.
I poke a hole in the bottom of the filter and let it drain before removing to save that mess from happening also.

I suppose that wouldn’t work if mine held 6 gallons lol
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 09:15 PM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
I slide a 5-gallon bucket under mine. Works like a champ. No mess.
I have to get under there to change the filter anyway.
I poke a hole in the bottom of the filter and let it drain before removing to save that mess from happening also.

I suppose that wouldn’t work if mine held 6 gallons lol
I had tried that but my pan is quite low so even when raised a bit there isn't room for a bucket that large. Did purchase one of those giant oil pans, it's a bear to use. No pour spout and terrible to try and carry with 24 quarts of used oil sloshing around. My machine works great.
Old 12-15-2021, 07:32 AM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
I had tried that but my pan is quite low so even when raised a bit there isn't room for a bucket that large. Did purchase one of those giant oil pans, it's a bear to use. No pour spout and terrible to try and carry with 24 quarts of used oil sloshing around. My machine works great.

Nothing wrong with making maintenance easier. I’ve had boats for going on 30 years. Those drain plugs are hard to or sometimes impossible to get to. My current boat the dipstick tubes have a fitting at the top and go all the way to the bottom of the oil pans and you can suck straight out the dipstick tubes from the top.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 07:47 AM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
What a simply wonderful idea. I use a 2 quart oil filter on the 7.4 Vortec, this idea is quite helpful.

Thanks
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 09:06 PM   #179

settled

Over 400 miles and the oil is exactly where it was when I filled it. This leaves me no doubt as to what occurred. As I had mentioned earlier, my very first inclination was someone had tampered with her. But not to cast stones, I worked for days attempting to find an answer related to mechanical failures, to no avail.

I am absolutely certain the oil was half way between the marks when we left for that short weekend jaunt. Yet I came up with a net deficit of 7 quarts.

Couple of good ideas posted above as well.
Monkey Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 09:13 PM   #180

What an odd and unexpected final answer. Stealing oil from a pan...seems so odd.
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 10:42 PM   #181

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbluesky View Post
What an odd and unexpected final answer. Stealing oil from a pan...seems so odd.
I have sometimes wondered about my fuel tank level in my RV sitting in the driveway; 5+ yrs back, I found filler hose mounting screws suddenly missing in my pickup in driveway, very serious doubts of "vibrated loose"?... and... they did steal my CATALYTIC FROM RV IN DRIVEWAY THIS YEAR.
Old 12-18-2021, 12:51 PM   #182

I think it would not be a bad idea to start cutting thieves hands off. It might slow down the stealing. It is getting REALLY bad in MN. carjackings and cat thieves are thick!
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote