RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2020, 06:54 PM   #1

Used Class A Gasser: Ford Triton V-10, or Ford 460 V-8?

Just joined the site recently, and thanks to those who have welcomed me aboard.
I have a few more years to go before I can retire, but my partner and I are convinced that a used RV is what we can afford in the future.
We're considering a used Class A MH, 28'-32' length, and gas powered. At least one site member has pointed out some of the pros and cons of diesel vs. gas. And that choosing a gasser means I'm likely to end up with a Ford motor in the rig.
Therefore, I welcome all those voices of experience to debate the merits between Ford engines: If you were considering a used Class A gasser, which would you choose, Ford Triton V-10, or Ford 460 V-8?
Thanks for weighing in!
Peter Henry
Peter Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2020, 08:01 PM   #2

The decision of engine will be made for you based on the age of the motorhome. Any Ford chassis newer than 99 will have the V10 (see clarification below for 2020 models). Anything older than 98 will have the 460.

Prior to 2009 (ish) there will also be Workhorse (Chevy) chassis that have either the the 454 or 8.1L Vortec engines.

If you are looking at new motorhomes you might have a choice (for the next couple of years) of either the V10 or the new 7.3L V8. The F53 chassis is now using the 7.3L engine but manufacturers might have some of the F53 with the V10 still waiting to be built.

Mike
mikelcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:05 PM   #3

V10 V8 Chevy V8

Then there are the new reports that the new Ford 7.3 V8 is having problems with spark plug wires that are failing and cannot be replaced for a few months. Don't rule out a V-10 6.8. There are many, many on the road with happy owners like us.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:10 PM   #4

Iíve had two my. Older 2000 my had 454 chev which was a great engine and curren fleetwood storm 32 bh(bunk house) has the Ford v10. Have 59000 on current mh and gone cross country from nj twice and up/down east coast New England to Florida. Love the v10. Pulled the Rockies, cascades, Utah and Colorado and of course the great mountains of nj, better known as slight inclines to anyone out west. Majority of used gassers will be fords. Pick a layout that you like first and the engine will follow.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:44 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Henry View Post
Just joined the site recently, and thanks to those who have welcomed me aboard.
I have a few more years to go before I can retire, but my partner and I are convinced that a used RV is what we can afford in the future.
We're considering a used Class A MH, 28'-32' length, and gas powered. At least one site member has pointed out some of the pros and cons of diesel vs. gas. And that choosing a gasser means I'm likely to end up with a Ford motor in the rig.
Therefore, I welcome all those voices of experience to debate the merits between Ford engines: If you were considering a used Class A gasser, which would you choose, Ford Triton V-10, or Ford 460 V-8?
Thanks for weighing in!
Peter Henry
In a Class A, pick your poison.. find a nice layout and one that is in your budget.. the 460 is a tad older but like a rock as id the V10.. both have a few quirks but in a Class A they are not as prevelant..like exhaust issues, less heat build up in an "A". Class C is a bit crammed ...
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:49 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
My experience with a 460 hp in a Class C was not good (it was downright terrible).

Had passenger side exhaust manifold fail while still under warranty, took almost 4 months to fix because this was a big problem and no manifolds in inventory to fix. I even asked to extend the warranty due to length of time which Ford denied.
I then lost the drivers side manifold that Ford did not warranty. I replaced with an after market.

The passenger side manifold that was replaced under warranty then warped, had to have it machined to get it to seal.

I started having intermittent problems with oil pressure dropping and eventually when hot would bounce on ZERO, thought it was the oil pump. Had it replaced but found it was the flange on the pickup tube that bolted onto the pump had cracked and it was sucking air.

Not engine related but also lost the seal on the transmission, replacement seal came with a warning "original seal not recommended for heavy duty truck application" Duh?????

I pleaded my case to Ford for some relief due the number and degree of problems but fell on deaf ear.

Can you tell I'm not a Ford Fan.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:32 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
there are lots of horror stories on 460 and v10.. i have many to share.... but to the op.. class a is different and a v10 is a bit newer design...

i can feel the pain on 460 manifold.. my 94 shuttle conversion ate them like candy... previous owner was an x nascar driver.. had the best helpers..lol
in 130k.. he went thru 2 sets.. but ran it hard towing a replica race car all over... i put 60k more and they leak.. is what it is... too much heat, lean exhaust..c class is crammed..
my 96 minnie had 29k on it last year when i got it.. had clogged cat.. i cooked it towing.. ran temps 245-260.. for 1200 miles until i figured it out.. i have the cold moring tick now, rt rear bolt broke.. blah bla,,

seen lots of v10 leak too, seen rods go to,,,

IMO overall, great motors.. some trans quirks but some simple fixes can help..

chev 454, 6.0 all have exhaust peril...

get the rv an enjoy....
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:05 AM   #8

Over the yrs I've had gas RV's with the chevy 454, Ford 460 and Ford V-10. By far, the Ford V-10 is the better engine.
grldst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, ford, gas