Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #1

Using 50 amp extension cord ?

I considering buying a 15' 50 amp RV extension cord to I can keep my Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C surge guard unit inside my electrical bay.
Any problem with always using the 15' extension cord in addition to my stock shore cord?
Camper Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
Community Administrator

I don't think it's a problem. I did the same as you know but I made a 3' extension cord.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #3

Each connection (plug and recepticle) adds some resistance to the circuit, but if they are tight and of good quality there should be little chance of a problem. When I am running heavy loads - usually both A/C units in hot weather -I test the connections for overheating by touching them once in awhile.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
i bought two locks that just fit around the cord and put one on the surge protector above the cord end and one on the 50 amp cord before the cord end the put a short piece of chain between the two locks, that way they will have to cut the end off to get the surge protector.
alv3769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I use a 15 ft 50A extension for a couple weeks a year when visiting family and parking in their driveway. No problems at all. But for your purposes, I would make up a short extension. It's not hard to do. You can buy the male and females end connectors and an RV dealer might even have some extra cord lying around. Or buy a short length of 6 gauges, 3 conductor (plus ground) power cable at a electrical supply store.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Ken View Post
I considering buying a 15' 50 amp RV extension cord to I can keep my Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C surge guard unit inside my electrical bay.
Any problem with always using the 15' extension cord in addition to my stock shore cord?

I've done this for 3 years now without issue, plugged in 90% of the time.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
As a thought would it be possible to open up that device, disconnect the wires, and then wire it in line using your present power cord?
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #8

You just dont want to leave your cord coiled up, if its in a nice neat coil it will act as a coil and limit your current ie; amps
Old 04-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frutza View Post
You just dont want to leave your cord coiled up, if its in a nice neat coil it will act as a coil and limit your current ie; amps
That was my I learned something new today moment. I did not know that, but it makes sense.

Thanks,
Stewart
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:51 AM   #10

Good ideas from several folks. I cut my VERY long shore cord, added the appropriate male/female ends (Camco brand with handles), put the surge guard in between and mounted it in the electical compartment. I have about 15" of the original shore cord between the surge guard and my main coach plug-in receptacle. The rest of the shore cord after the surge guard serves the same purpose it always has. Works super for me, keeps the unit out of the weather and keeps honest people....honest. Working with that serious 50 amp wiring to connect the male/female ends was a bit tedious and somewhat challenging; but, other than that, no problem after 2 years.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frutza View Post

Actually, that's not quite the problem ... a marginally adequate (not sufficiently sized) extension cord "may" tend to overheat if left tightly coiled due to lack of heat dissipation. The risk of overheating a correctly sized (gauge, quality, and length) cord with clean/tight connections is not a concern.

This was caused by a severe overload and a very tight wrap on the drum ... not by the cord acting as a "choke" ... the heat of the overload could not dissipate fast enough from the inner wraps.

Overheated Extension Cord - ECN Electrical Forums
Old 04-04-2013, 06:55 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question, are you guys putting this surge guard in your coach in addition to the big black box in the electrical bay that says surge guard ? If so, why the redundancies. I have an all electric coach and if I need one of these I surely get it. Just not sure about its purpose. Thanks
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkydog
Question, are you guys putting this surge guard in your coach in addition to the big black box in the electrical bay that says surge guard ? If so, why the redundancies. I have an all electric coach and if I need one of these I surely get it. Just not sure about its purpose. Thanks
The term "surge guard" is being used to describe a number of similar but different devices. To further muddy the issue, there is a company named Surge Guard which sells this type of equipment. The box you refer to is most likely a transfer switch manufactured by Surge Guard the company. It may or may not have a " surge or spike" circuit built into it. You man also have an EMS (electric management system) which will manage the 30 amp power when you are limited to 30 amps, by shedding loads so the breaker won't trip.

Most people, who add a devise for electrical protection, are adding a EMS ( electric monitoring system) which does give a high level of surge/ spike protection but it also monitors high/low voltage; frequency, reverse polarity, and the dreaded open or floating neutral. There devices are generally placed between the shore pedestal and the transfer switch. You might check to see what protection you really have. Although surges are talked about the most common problems in campgrounds are with high/low voltage and open or floating neutral. Both can be very damaging.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote