Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2008, 03:54 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
I thought I would post this info due to the regular questions regarding water pressure. I just found this at Camping World for $49.

I like this product because the pressure is adjustable and has an incorporated gauge. The pressure is adjustable from 10 to 80 pounds. I was never satisfied with the standard 40 pound screw on type as it was never enough to get decent pressure in the shower. I set mine to 65 pounds and it is working great.

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2008, 03:54 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I thought I would post this info due to the regular questions regarding water pressure. I just found this at Camping World for $49.

I like this product because the pressure is adjustable and has an incorporated gauge. The pressure is adjustable from 10 to 80 pounds. I was never satisfied with the standard 40 pound screw on type as it was never enough to get decent pressure in the shower. I set mine to 65 pounds and it is working great.

Sarge
Old 06-25-2008, 05:45 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The shortcoming with previous Valtera regulators has always been a low flow rate, typically about 2 gal/min. That's not much for a shower. How does this one do?

You can buy a whole house size regulator for about that price and get 10+ ga/min (more than the rest of the RV plumbing can handle). Bigger and heavier, though.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:20 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree Gary, but the key word here is adjustable. With their previous regulators they were preset at 45 psi, which is not much. I set mine at 60-65 psi and the pressure is great. The park I am in at the present runs average pressure of 80 to 100 psi. I looked at the house regulators as well, but as you said, too big, too heavy, and too much plumbing required.

Some RV's have a tremendious amount of room in the fresh water bay, but I don't. This was a good alternative for less money, and less space required. And although I could have easily plumbed in the Watts regulator, some folks dont want to mess with the extra parts. Just screw on and adjust the pressure screw.

Sarge
Old 06-25-2008, 08:37 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is 65 lbs. safe? Most manufacturers recommend less. I'd love to increase my pressure if it's safe to do so, the pressure at my galley sink is terrible.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:46 AM   #6

That's why the pre-set regulators are set at 45#.
JerryForwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:49 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
In a recent post by a member that asked that question at the Winnie factory, a tech told him that Winnie tests their plumbing systems to at least 80 psi. The tech felt very comfortable to allow 60 psi at the water inlet.

I am sure that most modern RV's are using the same modern materials to assemble their plumbing systems and therefore would be safe as well.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">too big, too heavy, and too much plumbing required </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
A little bigger yes, heavier maybe, but what plumbing?? My Watts just has a hose-bib adapter on each end.

Do I understand you to say that you plumbed your pressure regulator into your water compartment?? I put mine on the hydrant so the hose is not dealing with excessive pressure either. One place we stay once or twice a year has water pressure running apx 100-110 psi!!!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:35 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The regulator does not hook up in the water bay, it belongs out at the post to protect the hose as well as the coach plumbing.

I built up one from a large Watts, a couple of short brass nipples and the male and female hose adapters.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:29 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Like the others, I have a house type regulator with hose thread adapters on either end. Not much plumbing there.

Oh, and I run it at 62 psi. Perfectly fine for RV plumbing in this day and age. The RVIA requires that the plumbing be tested at 80 psi.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:32 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
If the whole house regulator is working for you that's great! I priced them in my neck of the woods (So. Cal) and they were priced at most of a $100 dollar bill. And the post option does not work for me. I don't have the faith in human nature that someone wouldn't come along and decide that the hunk of brass would wind up in their recycle bag.

I am just presenting an option, not the answer to everyones water pressure problems. After all, it's your own RV, you get to make your own decisions......
Old 06-26-2008, 01:53 AM   #12

I'm attaching a picture below (I hope, if I can figure it out) just to give you a view of options. We installed ours inside the water bay for a variety of reasons. Primarily to have it inside for safety from theft & freezing. Our Newmar came with just one filter and we wanted to double filter the water. We also had an issue with flow due to the filtering. Someone (think it was here on IRV2) showed where they had moved their pressure reg after all the filtering to improve the flow. We did it and it worked. Initially everything was outside in a rubbermaid box, but eventually moved inside for the above mentioned reasons.

Our pressure reg is to protect the plumbing connections inside the motor home. If you are concerned for your hose, you can get high pressure rated ones (200 psi I think) at many RV rallies and on-line. We haven't had a problem with the original hose. If we do, we will replace it with one of the high pressure ones. I would say that there is a park in Norman OK that we occasionally stay in that has pressure way over 100psi that we do use a hose mounted reg on, but this works well for all the rest.

We bought all our stuff including the pressure reg on-line. I think the cost for the reg was in the $55 area. Good luck in finding your best solution.

.....OK, took 3 tries, but think this time it will post.
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:00 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a whole house regulator set for 50#. But, the water flow in the shower was still bad. In fact, I have had 2 prior heads just plug from crud in the water lines. Last week DW went Wal-Mart and brought home an 'Alsong' shower head.

Wowsie wow wow.

Water out the wazoo. 3 spray settings and they all shoot water at least 2 feet! And the pressure at this park is 40# or less.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #14

Change those filters, Donna! Dang!

I was told that it's best to have the regulator after the filters, so that the higher pressure water can get through the filters most easily. Then the regulator in case of high pressure. We have the two-cannister system from the rvwaterfilterstore.com and love it!

Roy
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote