Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2014, 07:22 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Valterra Sewer Solution vs. portable mascerator?

My coach sits so low to the ground that more often than not, the campground sewer inlet is an uphill incline from my rv. I much prefer the full force of gravity and that fat 3" sewer hose over the elec mascerator pumps and 3/4" hoses, but I am considering taking along either the Sewer Solution from Valterra, or a portable 12v mascerator system for the times when gravity is working against me.

Reviews from Amazon and CW are generally positive on both.. Each have their advantages and disadvantages... I am leaning towards the Sewer Solution because it seems very simple, and possibly less maintenance (the thought of cleaning the blades of a mascerator that's clogged is not a happy place), & doesn't require 12v power, but I wonder if it will work as well.

Anyone out there who has used both systems have an opinion?
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2014, 07:31 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just bought a Sewer Solution with extension. So, following....
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:29 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The sewer solution is smaller and "Neater" in appearance however it is a device of a class called Jet Pump, it is a macerating Jet Pump, in that it uses a JET of clean water to both pulverize semi-solids and break up paper and push it down the hose..

I DO NOT LIKE IT because in many areas of the country Fresh water is fairly scarce.

The Electric macerator pump is a 2 stage device, The first stage uses some rotating "Fingers" or Blades to break up semi solids and paper, this is the Macerator (Macerators "Chew stuff up") Then it goes into the pump stage, On mine this is a rubber thing in an oval chamber, as the rubber wheel rotates "Fingers" (or blades if you like) on the wheel form larger or smaller chambers, When they are big they pass a hole in the separator plate (Between the two stages) and when they are small (And thus under pressure) a hole that leads to the outlet.

They work very well, Pump farther and higher than the Sewer Solution, use no fresh water save what you use to rinse out and does a good job.

THEY ARE LARGER however.. But if you can mount at a right angle that won't bother you..

Problems with systems:

What do you do with the sewer solution if no source of fresh water under pressure?????

On my portable Flo-Jet, if I do not use it, the pump siezes up.. Now it took me some time to figure this out but turns out the answer is simple, and it will only cost you 25¢ with instant refund at the most.

ON the non-pump end of the pump motor is the open end of the motor shaft, It has a slot in it,, Using one of the following
A flat blade screwdriver
A flat piece of metal such as an Corner Brace (Wood working item)
or... And this is the 25 cent option: A QUARTER to turn the shaft, You can tell from the direction of the outlet which way to turn it (Same way as the outlet points) You may now put the quarter back in your pocket. (instant refund)

How I wired mine:

IN my RV the main fuse panel is in the hall on the wall shared with a half-bath, the "Wet bay" where the tanks are located is directly DOWN from this same room.. I ran 10GA wire from the panel (You actually run it the other way) to the wet bay.. There is, like a step, just along the wall, Remove it (hidden screws) and you see where the pipes go through the floor, Wire follows same path.

Anderson POWER POLES are excellent connectors. I ran 10ga Speaker wire and put 40 amp power poles on the end Red Right, Tab Up Looking at the open end of the power pole pair.

Matching power poles on the cable that came with the pump.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:40 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Thanks for your thoughts wa8yxm. Most of my camping is done at RV resorts or campgrounds with full hookups, but you are right to point out the waste of water in the Sewer Solution device. I thought the mascerator required a water source too, no? A friend of mine told me that he had to run water with his, or else he'd burn up the motor? Maybe that's only when the tank is near empty...
Old 06-30-2014, 01:25 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Watching the 3" flexible hose folks rinsing their hoses and tanks makes me wonder what the real water use difference is between the sewer solution and the 3" hose.

I use both.

Sewer solution at a full hookup site and sewer solution at a dump station. Really prefer the Sewer Solution after four years of use.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:43 PM   #6

I really like the SS, I haven't used a macerator so I'm done here
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post

Sewer solution at a full hookup site and sewer solution at a dump station. Really prefer the Sewer Solution after four years of use.
My bad; Should read "slinky" at a dump station.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:51 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
My bad; Should read "slinky" at a dump station.
Thanks Dean.
Have you used a mascerator system too? (12v)
Old 06-30-2014, 04:39 PM   #9

I have a Clean Dump macerator system, and I like it. The advantage is you don't open the system to liquid spillage or air odors and no open rinsing. Just pull out the hose put it in the hole and turn it on. As the black tank is near the empty point I turn on my tank flush and add water to flush remaining things out and add a little tank water to flush again, followed by grey-tank flush. It come with two adapters to fit other size openings, and I bought a small screw-on PVC cap for the very end of the hose, so no drips or leakage inside the coach. Always have water / sewage running into the pump when the motor is running or you will burn up the pump seals...don't run it dry. You can hear the difference in wet vs. dry tone when the pump is running. Yes, eventually you will have to clean out the pump of hairs etc that get wrapped around the blades [no big deal to clean...wear gloves!]. I have had it 7 years and no problems, and very helpful support. It is much cleaner and handier than a stinky slinky.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Thanks Dean.
Have you used a mascerator system too? (12v)
Only on a boat, so not helpful for your application.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:58 AM   #11

The Sewer Solution uses a Venturi jet which increases the velocity of the water stream supplied by the tap. It takes three minutes to empty my 29 gallon black tank. That is not really using much water at all. Many people use more than that flushing their black tank.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:28 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I'm a HUGE Sewer Solutions fan! Wouldn't leave home without it. It does an amazing job of complete tank cleaning.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:24 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well, I ordered a SS and one of their extension hoses today. For my situation I think it'll work fine, and at less than half the price of a mascerator system, I think it's the right move.

I do suspect the mascerator are more powerful, but there are enough SS fans here and on other forums that it must be a reasonable system.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #14

Next get some pvc pipe to create an additional extension if desired.

I used two 10 ft pipes, cut in half for basement storage, and put fittings on each open end that allows all four pieces to be screwed together and slipped to the end of the SS hose and then the SS foot. No PVC glue necessary.

I also used fittings that would close the ends when in storage to avoid any drips inside the rig.

Enjoy