Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #1

Valve extenders or long solid metal valve stem

I'm considering getting valve extenders to make it easier to check my air pressure. But, I'm also considering getting a tpms and thought the longer metal stems would give more support. Any thoughts?
PapaBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Actually longer stems have less support due to the extra length (unless you add supports). The longer the distance from the valve hole the more torque it adds.
1 foot and 100 lbs = 100 ft lbs of torque.
½ foot and 100 lbs = 50 ft lbs of torque.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:37 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dualy valves are solid metal and come with stabilizers that fit in the handhole
They work great .
Old 10-01-2013, 02:08 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBobby View Post
I'm considering getting valve extenders to make it easier to check my air pressure. But, I'm also considering getting a tpms and thought the longer metal stems would give more support. Any thoughts?
i have 19.5 inch wheels and have the original tst truck tire pressure and temperature monitor system.
i am using haltec he 200 90 degree valve extensions on the front wheels and the rear outer duals. i have to keep them tight to keep them leak free.

HALTEC ONLINE

Home - Truck System Technologies, Inc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0054.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	46961   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0056.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	46962  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	46963  
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The great thing about the DuallyValves is that they replace the original valve stems, so no maintenance is required. The downside is that the tires have to be dismounted and remounted to install them and they aren't cheap. I waited until I was replacing the tires (three years ago) to have them installed and wish I had done it years ago. They make it so easy to check and add air. My PressurePro pressure monitors work great with them also.

See HERE
Old 10-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
There is NO comparison. One piece solid stems is the only method.

Extenders of any brand, quality, whatever are just one more place to have a leak problem and people do, then wonder why!

Dually Valves, well worth the investment.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
There is NO comparison. One piece solid stems is the only method.

Extenders of any brand, quality, whatever are just one more place to have a leak problem and people do, then wonder why!

Dually Valves, well worth the investment.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I guress we have a difference of opinion. We used rigid extensions on our old motorhome in conjunction with the TST 507 tire pressure monitoring system. The stems never leaked in over 100,000 miles and made installing and removing the sensors a 2 minute job.

The disadvantage of the long valve stems is you make the inside duals a single position tire. They can't be moved to the front our outer dual position (without changing the valve stem) beacuse the stem will be either sticking way beyond the rim or pointing in the wrong direction. If you use extensions they can be added or removed depending on which position you want the tire.

As for the DuallyValve setup you can't individually monitor each tire.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:36 AM   #8

If there is a Tire Man product to fit your vehicle I can recommend it wholeheartedly.

Tire-Man: Products
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Big bus type RV's are NOT setup to move wheels and tires around.

If a flat occurs that tire is removed and a new tire is installed on the same wheel in the same position.

My inside dual is a plain Jane steel wheel. All of the others are aluminum wheels highly polished on one side ONLY.

So for me the Dually Stems work great.

For smaller RV rigs it may not. If the extenders work for you, that's great!

EMMV.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a term KISS. Keep It Super Simple is the polite expansion.

What is simpler

One: A long valve stem, Just the stem, long enough you do not need an extender or:

Two: A shorter stem with an Extender?

Clearly The long valve stem

These are solid metal stems. Do not worry about the weight of the TPMS sender on 'em, it won't bother them a bit.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to chili's trip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post

I guress we have a difference of opinion. We used rigid extensions on our old motorhome in conjunction with the TST 507 tire pressure monitoring system. The stems never leaked in over 100,000 miles and made installing and removing the sensors a 2 minute job.

The disadvantage of the long valve stems is you make the inside duals a single position tire. They can't be moved to the front our outer dual position (without changing the valve stem) beacuse the stem will be either sticking way beyond the rim or pointing in the wrong direction. If you use extensions they can be added or removed depending on which position you want the tire.

As for the DuallyValve setup you can't individually monitor each tire.
You obviously dont know anything about Duallyvalve brand stems. Please check your info before you mislead any more Rver's. Thanks.
Jack H
Old 10-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili's trip View Post
You obviously dont know anything about Duallyvalve brand stems. Please check your info before you mislead any more Rver's. Thanks.
Jack H

You're right. I was confusing the Dually Tire system with the Crossfire system.
http://www.dualdynamics.com/crossfires/
I apologize
Old 10-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #13

Dually valve stems are far superior to ANY type of extension. An extension is a patch, and the dually valve is a replacement for the original valve stem. SIMPLE!

As has been stated by others, you do not rotate tires on a motor home. Tires and wheels stay where they are installed and tires replaced as they age out, not wear out because of milage.

TPMS work without any problem using the dually valves.
ONLY WAY TO GO.
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
I have solid metal 4" extensions on my inner duals, with Alcoa rubber stabilizers where they pass through the outer wheel (Accuride wheels w/Alcoa stabilizers). Solid metal valve stems can crack ...one was on my coach at delivery, and the first replacement they put was also cracked. The stabilizers keep the stems from being stressed (and possibly cracking) by centrifugal force when the wheels are rolling. I have TireTraker TPMS sensors on all wheels. 10 years and 85k miles and never had a leaky extension. I did buy a bad pair of extensions once from a truck tire place, but the problem wasn't leaks ...the long core was too short to trip the valve core on the stem.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote