Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2018, 11:17 AM   #1

Vespa or other scooter

I am considering getting a motor scooter. Probably no more than 125 cc and 4 cycle.

A friend told me that they are not allowed in many RV parks. I thought this was crazy then spent last night in a KOA and while reading the map I noticed that the rules say: "Gas scooters, ATVs and dirt bikes are no permitted."

This makes me wonder how often this is the case?That said I've seen Harleys
and Vespa like scooters on the back of motor homes in other parks.

Is this common and something I just haven't noticed?

Jonathan
jonathan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2018, 11:50 AM   #2

Saw that at Tampa East RV Resort and Manatees Hammock CG, both in Fl. No Scooters or ATVs.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:58 AM   #3

Honda has brought back its 125cc Super Cub. It's a stepthrough but has big wheels so it's not a scooter. I think that would pass the KOA sniff test.
BonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:04 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Having it on the back of the RV is no problem. Running bikes and atvs around the park certainly is , in Many places. Most allow you to directly enter and leave with a legal road bike esp if it's your only transportation. Many large RV parks ( over55) that have golf carts running around, ban gas carts,as too noisy. I guess the answer is yes if your in a true resort type park you just missed it. It's pretty common
Old 06-14-2018, 12:11 PM   #5

This is what I use.....very quiet, 50cc, 4 stroke, electric start....never have had a problem using it.....Ice Bear brandClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160508_122802412.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	207111.....street legal, and with a little clutch work, will go 40mph
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:12 PM   #6

Just picked up a 2015 Yamaha Smax. 155cc, so it's fully highway legal. Need a motorcycle license for anything over 50 cc (at least in PA). Don't know how a campground can refuse access to a fully licensed, street legal vehicle. The smax will do almost 70 mph and has a step-through design. Fun little vehicle to drive around. Highly recommend, and a lot cheaper than a Vespa.
Noble6047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble6047 View Post
Just picked up a 2015 Yamaha Smax. 155cc, so it's fully highway legal. Need a motorcycle license for anything over 50 cc (at least in PA). Don't know how a campground can refuse access to a fully licensed, street legal vehicle. The smax will do almost 70 mph and has a step-through design. Fun little vehicle to drive around. Highly recommend, and a lot cheaper than a Vespa.

The same way they can refuse rv's based on age.
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:51 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Some CGs may have a policy about scooters but it usually does not apply to registered scooters with a licensed driver. I believe most of them are talking about those scooters that kids use.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I suspect they are only talking about non street. If you look at the OP's post is says "Gas scooters, ATVs and dirt bikes are not permitted." and doesn't say anything about motorcycles. This is probably trying to eliminate the noise of some scooters ATV's and dirt bikes. they may also be targeting those with kids and let them ride around the park. I find it hard to believe they would kick you out for riding to and from the front gate to your camp spot.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #10

I agree with most posters who say that the intent of "no scooters" isn't about what you intend to drive. We've been carrying our 2010 Piaggio 49cc from Michigan to Florida, Texas, South Carolina, Maine and more and no one has ever told us we cannot use it for transportation.

Good luck!!
Chadrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble6047 View Post
@ 325 pounds wet weight, you might want to look at a Suzuki S40, also known as the Savage. Their wet weight is 355 pounds and way more fun to ride.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:39 PM   #12

Well,
Before the major debate what's legal, what a campground can refuse or not, and all that, this is one of those things that's simply common sense. I'm suspecting that due to possible issues that have been created in the past, such as maybe kids riding mini-bikes, scooters or anything that, that might have caused a nuisance or possibly hurt someone or another kid. Or, maybe an ADULT was getting out of hand or, just not being courteous or who knows what while driving a side by side or something else. I'm guessing that something like these examples is what lead to the establishment of rules of no scooters/dirt bikes etc.

I'm just guessing here. But we all know and have seen, situations where kids or, as stated, even adults not using common sense on motorized scooters/bikes/etc. and it, as usual, RUINS it for the rest of us that DO use common sense when WE have those same kinds of toys.

Many people (yes and even some well behaved kids) can start up one of those and as quietly, and as SANELY as possible, leave camp or motor down the aisle ways of campgrounds without causing a ruckus or disturbing folks trying to have a nice quiet time, and head out to a destination without being a pain.

But, once someone gets hurt or, some complaints are registered in the office or, possible corporate headquarters of a group of campgrounds like say, KOA, about kids or adults causing issues due to the riding of said dirt bikes/gas powered scooters/ off road machines etc., then here comes the rules.

Common sense, Common decency and Common courtesy is what a lot of this is about. But, once rules are established, they proprietors can't let some use their toys and others not. To me, it's the same idea with DOGS. Some bring dogs that bark and bark and bark or, are more aggressive while others, have dogs that don't bark a sound and, just sit be attentive to the master. But, due to something that's possibly happened in the past and, caused an issue, dog rules are now established.

Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,
Before the major debate what's legal, what a campground can refuse or not, and all that, this is one of those things that's simply common sense. I'm suspecting that due to possible issues that have been created in the past, such as maybe kids riding mini-bikes, scooters or anything that, that might have caused a nuisance or possibly hurt someone or another kid. Or, maybe an ADULT was getting out of hand or, just not being courteous or who knows what while driving a side by side or something else. I'm guessing that something like these examples is what lead to the establishment of rules of no scooters/dirt bikes etc.

I'm just guessing here. But we all know and have seen, situations where kids or, as stated, even adults not using common sense on motorized scooters/bikes/etc. and it, as usual, RUINS it for the rest of us that DO use common sense when WE have those same kinds of toys.

Many people (yes and even some well behaved kids) can start up one of those and as quietly, and as SANELY as possible, leave camp or motor down the aisle ways of campgrounds without causing a ruckus or disturbing folks trying to have a nice quiet time, and head out to a destination without being a pain.

But, once someone gets hurt or, some complaints are registered in the office or, possible corporate headquarters of a group of campgrounds like say, KOA, about kids or adults causing issues due to the riding of said dirt bikes/gas powered scooters/ off road machines etc., then here comes the rules.

Common sense, Common decency and Common courtesy is what a lot of this is about. But, once rules are established, they proprietors can't let some use their toys and others not. To me, it's the same idea with DOGS. Some bring dogs that bark and bark and bark or, are more aggressive while others, have dogs that don't bark a sound and, just sit be attentive to the master. But, due to something that's possibly happened in the past and, caused an issue, dog rules are now established.

Scott
The dog exclusion "issue' has to do with the "excluded" dogs on the insurance companies list. They will NOT provide coverage if the park owner doesn't exclude at least the "top 10 breeds" that seem to cause most the claims.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:36 PM   #14

The macdaddy of RV parks, Ocean Lakes sez....
https://www.oceanlakes.com/about-us/...ycle-policies/

Tags
scooter