Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2009, 11:23 AM   #1

Anyone have any info on ViAir 440P HD portable compressor kit. I looking for a good unit. This one is a bit pricy ($290) but if it does the job I'm ok with it. Any info on portable pumps will be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2009, 04:44 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I realize mine isn't portable, but if it's made by ViAir I don't think you can go wrong.

I bought the ViAir 450C HD 100% duty cycle fix mounted unit and installed it on our gas powered motorhome. So far it works great. It takes about 3 minutes to fill the 2.5 gallon air tank. The compressor is quiet, makes some noise but not that bad. I use it to fill RV tires, clean parts, bicycle tires, all kinds of things. When filling one of the RV tires the pressure comes down pretty fast, because of the small tank, but as soon as the pump kicks on it keeps up without little effort. I'm also going to replace the factory electric bugle horns up on top the rig with truck air horns.

With a smaller tank this one could be built into a portable with little effort, although just purchasing a portable unit would certainly be easier and make more sense.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #3

I have a Viair 200 mounted in my jeep and use it all the time to air up after I have aired down. Even used a few times on the MH. Any Viair from the 250 series on should work great.

Beware of cheap imitations, they work once if at all.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:44 AM   #4

Thank you for the input. I always feel better when I hear positive feed back on a product. I have owned a couple of less expensive units and they are OK for auto tires however they will not work on MH tires that I needed to add 2 or 3 pounds to a tire that was at 85 pounds plus.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:17 AM   #5

I just bought a Craftsman portable 3 gallon air compressor. It has a maximum 125 psi rating. My front tires require 105 psi, and the compressor will air them up, although the last 5 pounds are somewhat slow. Rear tires are no problem @ 95 psi. It is a small and relatively light unit that easily fits into a storage bin, and it was a bargain at $99.00
Old 03-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #6

I carry a compressor with me as well. Like to be able to adjust air pressure if needed. I have a Ridgid twin stack portable,4.5 gal,4.9 SCFM @90 PSI, Max PSI 175 lbs, weight 73 lbs. It has worked very well.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #7

12 v air compressor

Bruce, I have one at a great price w/ no more than 15 minutes of use if you are interested. Contact me by reply. I bought it last year when I had a MH w/o built-in air system and I no longer need it.
yudamann is offline   Reply With Quote