RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2018, 03:45 PM   #1

Vinyl flooring gap

Going to install allure ultra in the MH. I understand all about floating floors...expansion...gaps...and all that. BUT...just out of interest....has anyone installed this flooring tight to a edge and experienced buckling.
The reason I ask is we have a circular shower and the approved gap against the stall base would be unsightly and water damage probe. I would like to reduce the gap and caulk to watertight seal.
Thanks
bandmbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2018, 04:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The total gap needed depends on the expanse of the floor. For example, if the flooring expanded 1% and the floor is 36" wide, then a 0.36" gap would be needed. They may not publish actual expansion rates, but you can guess that the suggested expansion gap is adequate for a fairly large room, much larger than any RV floor space. On the other hand, the recommended gaps if for a fairly narrow temperature range because it assumes a heated residence. Some Rvs get much colder or much hotter while in seasonal storage.

Your question was asked in the Home Depot community some years ago (Allure is a Home Depot exclusive brand). Here is an answer of sorts:

Allure Ultra thermal expansion coefficient? | The Home Depot Community

I've installed Allure Ultra in our home and helped a friend install in his coach. I think with the size spaces in an RV, 1/8-1/4" gap is adequate. Put a resilient caulk in the remaining gap to keep the water out. The caulk will squeeze if the Ultra expands into it. Cover with a molding, e.g. a tub & shower sealer/trim strip.

By the way, you can also glue down the Ultra and that's probably a better choice for an RV application, especially in a wet area.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandmbrown View Post
Going to install allure ultra in the MH. I understand all about floating floors...expansion...gaps...and all that. BUT...just out of interest....has anyone installed this flooring tight to a edge and experienced buckling.
The reason I ask is we have a circular shower and the approved gap against the stall base would be unsightly and water damage probe. I would like to reduce the gap and caulk to watertight seal.
Thanks
I will bet the std gap would apply to a 12 ft +/- ft room. I'll also bet your bath is significantly smaller and a smaller gap should not be a problem.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:02 PM   #4

I used Home Depot floor planking in our FW and literally wedged it tight to the edges and walls. I did the same around the shower and so far after 4 years, I have not had any boards buckle. The floor area is so small, I don't believe expansion is a issue. I do like the pre caulk edge seam idea, I will keep that in mind for next time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flooring.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	194965  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:28 AM   #5

I think 1/8th inch would be fine and easily filled with caulk. What is also going to be important is cutting that circle out perfectly so the gap margin is consistent, or it's not going to look good. Find something, or make a template of that radius and use it to mark each tile then be very careful cutting it out.

A trick for caulking spaces like this that will be seen is to have a pail of warm water and one of those big sponges. Caulk your line, then dip the sponge in the water then squeeze out most of it, wipe down the caulk line gently flipping the sponge each stroke. Then rinse the sponge and repeat. I know it sounds like it will make a mess, but it won't and it leaves a perfect line filled with caulk with no globs or waves. Try it first on a test location and see how it works.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:08 PM   #6

Allure spacing

Thanks guys. I think I got this handled now. Confirms what I planed to do.
Thanks for the caulking tips. Instead of a sponge I use a microfiber towel. Works great.
bandmbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:56 PM   #7

I have a 2007 Forest River Flagstaff 831bhss, we live full time in it, it has soft floors in several locations, there is no water damage just Composite flooring ( sandwich flooring). Has any of you had good luck with floating floors helping or even fixing the problem with soft floors?
cardwellm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellm View Post
I have a 2007 Forest River Flagstaff 831bhss, we live full time in it, it has soft floors in several locations, there is no water damage just Composite flooring ( sandwich flooring). Has any of you had good luck with floating floors helping or even fixing the problem with soft floors?
Vinyl flooring will not help, but solid wood or a wood composite should do the trick. Don't skimp and go with a high quality.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
Vinyl flooring will not help, but solid wood or a wood composite should do the trick. Don't skimp and go with a high quality.
Thanks for the reply, would you have a suggestion? 3/8" will probably be the thickest that l can use due to the slide out, l have been researching to try to correct my problem, my floor is not fixing to fall in but l am trying to find a fix before it gets worse.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellm View Post
Thanks for the reply, would you have a suggestion? 3/8" will probably be the thickest that l can use due to the slide out, l have been researching to try to correct my problem, my floor is not fixing to fall in but l am trying to find a fix before it gets worse.
I would go to Lowe's or HD and pull some planks out and flex them. Pick the stiffest one for the thickness that you need.
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
I would go to Lowe's or HD and pull some planks out and flex them. Pick the stiffest one for the thickness that you need.
Thanks, probably the best way, good idea.

Tags
floor, flooring, vinyl