Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2002, 04:43 PM   #1

I recently attended the initial meeting of the Workhorse Chassis Owners Club, a new FMCA chapter. The rally was held in Kerrville, Texas in the hill country. WCC sent about 4 people who held some seminars on their chassis. I got some info on some problems that I have been having.

I would encourage all WCC owners to
join. Check with WCC for e-mail addresses and Ph. numbers.

The following are a few things that I learned.

1. Various problems with the wiper operation (usually on intermittant).

This has been a problem for many w22 owners. I tried to have mine repaired for the second time while in Wilmington N.C visiting our daughter. There were 2 Dolphins ahead of us at the Pontiac WCC) repair center with the same problem.

This is usually caused by the "wiper pulse module". This a blue box about 3"x4"x1" usually (but not always) behind or under the dash.This box is initialy mounted to the steering column and has a row of LEDs that are used to indicate
the transmission position while on the raw chassis. After the body is added the coach Mfg uses it for the wiper pulse module? Go figure!

2.Brake squeal;

Normal so get used to it.

3. Poor and/or intermittant Dash air:

In some cases the remainder of A/C components are being installed by Coach Makers without proper consideration of the funcioning of the condenser coil. The result is overly high head pressure in the A/C compressor. Some Coach Makers
have fixes for this but you will have to ask. Get A/C tested first!

4. Loud fan roar when engine heats up.

This is not the electric fans as many seemed to think but the fluid clutched engine fan locking up.

Normal, get used to it!

Hope this info may be of some help when you are told that "you are the first person who has mentioned this"!

2002 Dutch Star
Garymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2002, 04:43 PM   #2

I recently attended the initial meeting of the Workhorse Chassis Owners Club, a new FMCA chapter. The rally was held in Kerrville, Texas in the hill country. WCC sent about 4 people who held some seminars on their chassis. I got some info on some problems that I have been having.

I would encourage all WCC owners to
join. Check with WCC for e-mail addresses and Ph. numbers.

The following are a few things that I learned.

1. Various problems with the wiper operation (usually on intermittant).

This has been a problem for many w22 owners. I tried to have mine repaired for the second time while in Wilmington N.C visiting our daughter. There were 2 Dolphins ahead of us at the Pontiac WCC) repair center with the same problem.

This is usually caused by the "wiper pulse module". This a blue box about 3"x4"x1" usually (but not always) behind or under the dash.This box is initialy mounted to the steering column and has a row of LEDs that are used to indicate
the transmission position while on the raw chassis. After the body is added the coach Mfg uses it for the wiper pulse module? Go figure!

2.Brake squeal;

Normal so get used to it.

3. Poor and/or intermittant Dash air:

In some cases the remainder of A/C components are being installed by Coach Makers without proper consideration of the funcioning of the condenser coil. The result is overly high head pressure in the A/C compressor. Some Coach Makers
have fixes for this but you will have to ask. Get A/C tested first!

4. Loud fan roar when engine heats up.

This is not the electric fans as many seemed to think but the fluid clutched engine fan locking up.

Normal, get used to it!

Hope this info may be of some help when you are told that "you are the first person who has mentioned this"!

2002 Dutch Star
Old 12-16-2002, 05:56 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Garymc:
I recently attended the initial meeting of the Workhorse Chassis Owners Club, a new FMCA chapter. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I was provided with a copy of the Press Release regarding the new FMCA WCOC Chapter. Congratulations on the formation of the club.

Perhaps you can tell us more about how many members have attended the 1st meeting and who the officers of the organization are.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I would encourage all WCC owners to join. Check with WCC for e-mail addresses and Ph. numbers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
What are the dues?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>1. Various problems with the wiper operation (usually on intermittent).

the transmission position while on the raw chassis. After the body is added the coach Mfg uses it for the wiper pulse module? Go figure!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Understand that this is not a problem inherant to the W Series Chassis but simply the OEM's adaptation of the component.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>2.Brake squeal;
Normal so get used to it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have experienced slight brake squeal however not enough to be annoying. My Workhorse Chassis Guide also has stated that brake squeal is normal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>3. Poor and/or intermittant Dash air:
In some cases the remainder of A/C components are being installed by Coach Makers without proper consideration of the funcioning of the condenser coil. The result is overly high head pressure in the A/C compressor. Some Coach Makers have fixes for this but you will have to ask. Get A/C tested first!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yet another OEM installation problem. Aside from not having a stitch of freon when my coach when it was delivered I have not had any problems with my dash air. it works very well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>4. Loud fan roar when engine heats up.
Normal, get used to it!.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
When the temperature gauge starts climbing up it only gets so far and the clutch locks in and you can see that needle tank in a hurry. It's nice that everything works as planned. I have found that when it's cool outside the clutch does not engage half as much.

So from what I've read here, there are no problems with the W22 Chassis. That's a good thing. Perhaps the OEMs will come around and take the time to employ the chassis components as designed and not get their customers in trouble by no fault of their own OR Workhorse Custom Chassis.

Concerning the "about 4 people", would you happen to know their names?

I believe that everyone here knows that we have excellent resources at WCC and if you or anyone else here has any issues with your chassis please let us know and we'll get you the answer direct from the "Workhorse's" mouth.

Thanks for taking the time to share these issues with us and we look forward to hearing more about the FMCA WCOC.

<font color=blue>01 Winnebago 37G/Workhorse W20 "¢ Adventurer
02 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS
Nor'Easters
"We Will Never Forget"</font color>
8 8

[This message was edited by DriVer on December 16, 2002 at 11:04 PM.]
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 09:56 AM   #4

It seems to me that the membership was $25.00 or less and that included a neck-strap ID for use at events. This is in addition to FMCA dues. As to the names of the WCC people I just don't remember. Two were 20-30s and two were older.

There were about 60 coaches in attendance from all over the country. Mostly W20 & W22 but were some P30 & P32 as well. Great bunch of folks and a good time was had by all.

I haven't received the updated packet with all of the final changes, officers and such. Just as soon as I do I will post the contact info on the board.

I found it interesting to hear how WCC came about. The "main man" of WCC owns the company that mfgs all of the UPS trucks (Union City something???) and has bought many GM chassis. When he heard that GM might sell he contacted them and negotiated for over a year before coming to an deal! But of course you already know this!

2002 Damon Intruder W22

2002 Dutch Star
Old 12-17-2002, 11:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Garymc:
I found it interesting to hear how WCC came about. The "main man" of WCC owns the company that mfgs all of the UPS trucks (Union City something???) and has bought many GM chassis. When he heard that GM might sell he contacted them and negotiated for over a year before coming to an deal! But of course you already know this!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I posted a rather large article in the RV News about Andrew Taitz and WCC's 50,000th Chassis. You were right about the truck manafacturer it's Union City Body Company and Workhorse also owns Autocar.

It would be rather interesting to see if you can get the e-mail address of those 60 or so coach owners and invite them to come and spend some time with us. Why heck, we could even throw together a Workhorse Owner's Forum for them and they could feel free to use our facilities. Couple that with all our other resources and make all of this Free makes it worth while.

I know that FMCA uses Funroads however we have a road to in our logo and this place is just as much fun. Tell your friends to try us out. It couldn't hurt.

Nor'Easters
8 8
Old 12-18-2002, 05:42 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't exactly say the windshield wiper issues are "no problem with the chassis". As I understand it, the pulse module's use as the wiper control is per Workhorse specs. It would probably be more correct to say that the wiper module is borrowed for use as a transmission indicator on the raw chassis and reverts to its intended function later. Apparently there are numerous problems with this module (mine fails after an hour or so of use).

That said, The Workhorse Wxx series has been remarkably trouble free and is an excellent chassis. May the wiper thing be the worst problem it ever has!

Gary Brinck
2002 Dolphin LX - WorkHorse W22 chassis
2000 Chevy Tracker 4-Dr 4WD
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 06:12 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary B:
Apparently there are numerous problems with this module, mine fails after an hour or so of use.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Gary; As a continuing service to all of our Workhorse Custom Chassis owners may I offer you this direct response from the Workhorse Regional Service Department.

Troy, MI - This customer was correct in stating that the wiper delay module serves a dual function. One, as a transmission indicator before the body has been added to the chassis, and two, after the body has been added, it becomes the wiper delay module. When this module was first introduced there were, in a few isolated cases, repeat failures of this module similar to the situation described below. What we were finding on these affected units was that due to the new design of controls, there were up fitters that had either misinterpreted our schematics or, had over-estimated the out-put abilities of this new module. The newer W-chassis vehicles have experienced very few, if any, issues with the Workhorse portion of the wiper system. Even on the earlier models that were experiencing troubles, with the assistance of Workhorse Technical Assistance, we have been able to permanently rectify the concern. Should the gentlemen that made the (below) comment be interested in having his system evaluated, I would be more than happy to work with his nearest Workhorse dealer in having his system diagnosed and repaired.

If you send me an e-mail, I will forward the appropriate contact information that you will need to resolve your wiper module issue.

We are pleased to be able to bring this service to you, our members, as a value added feature all within keeping with our Mission Statement.

Thank you for posing the question and I'll look forward to assisting our Workhorse Custom Chassis owners as best as I can in the future.

Nor'Easters
8 8

[This message was edited by DriVer on December 19, 2002 at 12:38 PM.]
Old 12-19-2002, 03:20 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Driver. An email is on the way.

I wasn't suggesting that Workhorse couldn't or wouldn't fix the wiper problem, just that there were quite a few Wxx chassis around with a legit, though small, problem. I'm glad to hear that WH now feels the problem is permanently resolved. And I haven't heard any of the newer WH owners reporting any wiper probs.

Gary Brinck
2002 Dolphin LX - WorkHorse W22 chassis
2000 Chevy Tracker 4-Dr 4WD
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 07:38 PM   #9

We have an issue with our Windshield Wiper control. We have the W22 and it has a mist function, low and high settings and about 5 delays between.

The high and low settings are the same speed and the mist function does nothing. The two lower delays work.

So what I am wondering is if anyone knows where the relay is or what may be the problem with this. The wipers also stalled in the middle of the window and after about 3 min started to work again.

I checked all the nuts for tightness and they are fine.

I called the local Workhorse repair shop and they said I would have to leave it and then they would see if it was a workhorse issue or Winnebago, they said it depends if it has been altered by Winnebago?

We live in the Ventura County area of California,

Any ideas would be appreciated.
cboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:07 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Check your first post with this same post, the answer may be helpful for you.---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:05 PM   #11

I took the MH into Workhorse today and they replaced the Module that was defective. Working now so we will see what happens.

Thanks for the help
Old 01-17-2005, 08:00 AM   #12

I still have the intermittent problem on a 2004 w22 where the whole instrument Cluster goes to zero for about 5 secs , a little disconcerting when it happens at 65mph. No One can seem to find the problem.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:50 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If some of you have been following my posts on GND's and the problems a poor gnd can cause, would you let me know if you have checked your gnd locations .What did you find? ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 07:18 PM   #14

GRD's ? what are they