RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #1

iRV2 No Limits Club
Walk in bath

I have special medical needs and wondered if anyone has put in a walk in tub or if it's even possible in a class A somehow. Any thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
It depends on how big you want it and the room you have but yes it is possible.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
The only problem I could see with a walk-in tub is the amount of water they use when taking a bath. Tank type RV water heaters wouldn't be able to put out enough hot water for a bath. A tankless water heater could but you would burn huge amounts of propane per bath. The weight of the water in the tub would be a huge concern.

If it was enclosed so you could limit yourself to showers only (while sitting down, of course), then it could be practical.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
The only problem I could see with a walk-in tub is the amount of water they use when taking a bath. Tank type RV water heaters wouldn't be able to put out enough hot water for a bath. A tankless water heater could but you would burn huge amounts of propane per bath. The weight of the water in the tub would be a huge concern.

If it was enclosed so you could limit yourself to showers only (while sitting down, of course), then it could be practical.
I thought about the amount of water too. I get relief from the whirlpool action in my muscles plus it is very difficult to get down & up from a regular tub. I can't stand long enough to take a shower. Apparently the only hot tubs here in El Paso are in the hotels. So I was looking for a solution tub/shower walk in tub with jets in the tub. :(
Old 01-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
This guy found a solution but certainly not for the masses.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3682705466.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	476.7 KB
ID:	32525

I have not studied this but there may be something useful for you here http://www.rvpartscountry.com/Rv-Bat...ds_c_2882.html

If you could get one of these tubs to fit - a portable whirlpool might work. I did not see "walk in tubs but if you use a shower chair to help get in (put it by the tub not in it) you might make it work.

Just a thought....
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
This guy found a solution but certainly not for the masses.

I have not studied this but there may be something useful for you here http://www.rvpartscountry.com/Rv-Bat...ds_c_2882.html

If you could get one of these tubs to fit - a portable whirlpool might work. I did not see "walk in tubs but if you use a shower chair to help get in (put it by the tub not in it) you might make it work.

Just a thought....
Thanks for the idea. I will probably have to continue to use a shower chair. I'm not too sure about the portable tub. We'll be pulling a toad with my power chair on the ramp attached to it.

I appreciate being able to brain storm with you all.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:59 AM   #7

Same question as ArmyMPFromMO

Hi ArmyMPFromMO,

I have the exact same question (for the exact same reason) about installing a walking tub in a class A. I was hoping that in the past several years, you'd have found a solution. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!
kaceyh-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:45 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
While we were planning on building our new house we seriously looked at installing one of these, mostly for my MIL as at that time we thought she would be living with us.

From what I could tell is that if you have the space there is no reason a walk in tub could not be installed. Some of the tubs we looked at are only supported by 4 legs with small feet so if you decide to try and have one installed you might have to reinforce the floor to handle the weight.
A supply of hot water to fill the tub would be an issue but the newer tankless hot water heaters could easily take care of this, these are normally propane and would require a good supply/volume of propane. They do make 120 volt type tankless hot water heaters but these are normally low volume and would lake a long time to fill up the tub. You might be able to install one to augment the gas water heater. Remember while you are filling up the tub you have to be in it with the door closed so if you are willing to sit there for +15 minutes to fill the tub it might be an option.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:55 AM   #9

Would the weight of water in the tub overload the structure in the area it's located in?
Old 03-29-2020, 11:58 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Water is 8.34 lbs per gallon. How many gallons does the average walk-in tub use? If it's 12 to 15 gallons, the tub water would add about 100 to 125 lbs to the floor. Probably not an issue for a DP or a gasser.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:50 PM   #11

I just looked up how many gallons a walk-in tub uses and it ranges from 40 gallons to 120 gallons, depending on size of course.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:31 PM   #12

I noticed in your signature that you are looking for a class A pusher. Maybe if you found one with a bath and a half bath the half bath could be gutted and fit with a walkin tub. You would still have to deal with supply of hot water and the weight issue.
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:13 PM   #13

You aroused my curiosity so I did some looking around. The link should take you to a small walkin tub that is designed for mobile homes, closets, etc. It weighs around 235 lbs. empty and holds about 50 gallons of water. You aren't going to be going down the road with it full so it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe beef up the floor and you should be good.

Meditubâ„¢ 2739 Series – meditubs
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:27 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martind4 View Post
I just looked up how many gallons a walk-in tub uses and it ranges from 40 gallons to 120 gallons, depending on size of course.
Ya, I'm way off. I must have been thinking average (home) shower being 15 to 20 gallons. https://www.walkinbathtubsforseniors...r-walk-in-tub/

Tags
disabled, disabled rvers, handicap