Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old Yesterday, 12:26 AM   #1

Wall repair, interior gutted to fiberglass

Due to a bad leak in the refrigerator vent on the roof, we have a large section of rotted wall. On the inside Ive removed a large 3-6 wide section (wider in some areas). I am removing everything until I get to where the outer fiberglass has not separated from the wood.

When I rebuild the wall with new foam board and interior panels, do I need to replace the wood between the foam and fiberglass exterior or can I just adhere the foam board directly to the fiberglass?
Bono_B-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old Yesterday, 02:57 AM   #2

Just one consideration i can think of - if you have fixtures of any kind attached to the exterior wall with screws - latches, hatch clips, lights, whatever - the wood provides a screwholding layer that the fiberglass alone might lack.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:34 AM   #3

If the wood is rotted or not secure to the filon, then replace it while you have things opened up. It's really not that much more work if you are doing this. Might as well get it all done. You can cut the wood with a reciprocating saw (a "Fein" saw) down the studs and slide it all out. Then dry fit new Luan, and then glue and slide it back into place. I would also double it where the gaps are (I would put the board breaks inbetween the studs) with an additional layer of glue / luan so the breaks don't show on the outside of the filon.

You can use spray foam to make the stud to Luan firm.

Then, redo or add any wiring, replace the insulation, replace the inner wall, do your cosmetics, hang your stuff.
Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
If the wood is rotted or not secure to the filon, then replace it while you have things opened up. It's really not that much more work if you are doing this. Might as well get it all done. You can cut the wood with a reciprocating saw (a "Fein" saw) down the studs and slide it all out. Then dry fit new Luan, and then glue and slide it back into place. I would also double it where the gaps are (I would put the board breaks inbetween the studs) with an additional layer of glue / luan so the breaks don't show on the outside of the filon.

You can use spray foam to make the stud to Luan firm.

Then, redo or add any wiring, replace the insulation, replace the inner wall, do your cosmetics, hang your stuff.
Its fiberglass, not filon so its already more rigid. I was thinking of just putting the foam board directly against it.

After some more thinking however, it would creat a thickness issue that Id need to resolver on the interior anyway since the foam is 1. So rather than doing foam against the fiberglass and 1/4 inside panel, Im headed to HD to grab 1/8.

It is impossible to make the seams on an aluminum stud since there is only 1/& between it and the fiberglass....not possible to cut it.

My plan is to make the cutout portions as square as possible and use PL Max for the pane/fiberglass bond. Then foam adhesive for the panel/foam bond.

Right now Im estimating 50-60 sq ft total. Ceiling is 80 tall and at most, the widest repair will span 8.
Bono_B-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:49 PM   #5

Filon is fiberglass.

Sounds like you have a plan!

Good luck with the fix.

Tags
air, fiberglass, interior, repair