Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2022, 12:30 PM   #1

Wall Separation

We have a 1998 Coachman Santara Diesel pusher 37 ft. We just got back from three months out west and have discovered that the side wall has separated from the floor. I dont mean delaminating, I mean the floor is now about an inch away from the wall on the passenger's side. We discovered this when we stopped and saw a rod hanging down almost to the tire when we stopped at a rest stop. Anyone know how to fix this? Is it a DIY fix or does it need to go to shop? Ideas to fix would be wonderful.

thanks
Janet
Herrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2022, 02:55 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Has the wall pushed to the outside? Really think a couple of pictures would help.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 04:52 PM   #3

Gorilla tape.
Old 03-05-2022, 04:57 PM   #4
NXR

There are some YouTube videos on fixing this on a Coachman. Apparently it's easier than on a Georgetown.

What happens is the screws securing the wall to the frame shear off.

Ray
Old 03-05-2022, 11:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrell View Post
We have a 1998 Coachman Santara Diesel pusher 37 ft. We just got back from three months out west and have discovered that the side wall has separated from the floor. I dont mean delaminating, I mean the floor is now about an inch away from the wall on the passenger's side. We discovered this when we stopped and saw a rod hanging down almost to the tire when we stopped at a rest stop. Anyone know how to fix this? Is it a DIY fix or does it need to go to shop? Ideas to fix would be wonderful.

thanks
Janet
Well Janet,
I'll be darned, I thought that I was the only one that this sort of thing would happen to. Hmmmm. Our coach is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT
C7 330HP. A short story. One day I had a compartment light on when that compartment door was shut. I have individual switches for each compartment door, not one switch that turns them all on. Well, I thought it was maybe a switch that was out of adjustment. So, I put spacers in the switch to space it out so it would trigger the light correctly.

Well, a short time later, I had the same problem with other compartments in that same area. I spaced the switches on those doors too. Problem cured right? Nope, soon after, the lights were coming on again, with the compartment doors closed. Soooo, long story short, I found out the outside, AND inside wall, was separating from the floor! NOT GOOD.

After removing all the affected compartment doors and hinges, then removing the cover molding that covers the hinges, then there's a steel understringer that I found with a zillion screws all along the full length, from the front wheel to the rear. Well, what happened was, all those screws were to fasten the wall to the edge of the floor, through that steel under stringer, had pulled out or were pulling out of the edge of the floor. NOT GOOD.

So, I removed all the small #10 screws (one or two had sheared off) and buzzed down to my local hardware store to pick up some #12 stainless steel wood screws. So, I rigged up some clamps, about 10 or so of them and clamped that wall to some inside framing of the compartments. That pulled that wall right up against the floor edge.

I then proceeded to install the #12 screws, where the #10s were. And, I added quite a few too. That wall is now cinched up against that floor edge super tight. Needless to say, I had to remove all the spacers in my compartment door light switches. I then re-installed the cover molding and all the doors and hinges. ALL DONE!

The fix for this situation wasn't all that complicated or technical. All that had to be done was, clear the way for old screw removal and new screw install.
Scott

Below are some pics of my situation. Will any of this apply to your situation, not a clue but, maybe. In the first pic, you can see at least two screws (of probably 30 or so that I removed). The second and third pic show the underlaying molding that the screw heads base against to pull the wall towards the floor edge.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4053.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	358415   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4054.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	358416  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4055.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	358417  
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote