Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2022, 03:45 PM   #1

Wanderer Solar Controller

Hey Guys,

Got this recently hooked up with a 100w panel on the roof, I get 20V at the panel, at the panel input, but nothing coming out at all.

PV indicator is Green, Controller Status is green. Solar Volts at the screws is 20v, output nothing. I also disconnected all wires to do a hard reset, that didn't do anything.

Any ideas?

Also, manual has options for SEALED, GEL, FLOODED or Li. I have Interstate GC2 batteries. What would that fall under??? It's technically none of the available options.

Greatly appreciated!
jvannghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2022, 07:23 PM   #2

Wanderer Solar Controller

Sounds like your controller is bad or the output wiring to batteries is open so nothing to charge or if it has a fuse it may be blown.

You need flooded setting for normal lead acid with caps on top or sealed if they are agm
Old 12-05-2022, 02:35 PM   #3

thx for the reply.

shouldn't output be showing voltage whether connected to battery or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_C View Post
Sounds like your controller is bad or the output wiring to batteries is open so nothing to charge
Old 12-05-2022, 04:33 PM   #4

Hook it to a battery and answer your own question.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 05:18 PM   #5

It's BEEN hooked up to a battery and battery has NOT been maintained.

I disconnected to see if it would have any output. I see V in but no V out.

I assumed if I reconnect it, its' going to just measure ACTUAL voltage across the batteries, not necessarily the output.

How could I confirm that it's ACTUALLY charging the thing? Am I wrong to assume the output voltage across the output is the same as across the battery?

And just additional info, I swapped the renogy for a new one and it does the same.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Hook it to a battery and answer your own question.
Old 12-05-2022, 06:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvannghi View Post
It's BEEN hooked up to a battery and battery has NOT been maintained.

I disconnected to see if it would have any output. I see V in but no V out.

I assumed if I reconnect it, its' going to just measure ACTUAL voltage across the batteries, not necessarily the output.

How could I confirm that it's ACTUALLY charging the thing? Am I wrong to assume the output voltage across the output is the same as across the battery?

And just additional info, I swapped the renogy for a new one and it does the same.

Thanks!

The output should be close to battery voltage, the wire will drop some tenths of volts when under load if properly sized, so it won’t be exact.

The way to tell if it’s charging is by voltage, if the battery voltage is over 13v it’s being charged, if below that its not.

With panels in sun there should be 13-14v on output and on battery. With no sun the output and battery voltage will drop to below 13v.

You can also check continuity of the output wiring with an ohm meter.
Old 12-05-2022, 09:43 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
All the solar charge controllers I've looked at have to be connected to a battery to work. And say to connect to a battery before hooking up solar panels to them. The best thing to do is discharge the battery so you know it needs charged. Then use a clip on amp meter or install a shunt meter to see if you ate getting any current flow.

Here is a fairly inexpensive shunt meter, I installed on my class C. It takes the guess work out of battery charging and discharge.

https://a.co/cYTiZFx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220422_171324.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	382192  
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller, solar