Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2016, 07:24 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
Have you thought about using two lf16 batteries. Roughly the same footprint as a gc2 but taller. About double the capacity of a gc2.
Good idea, since he has the height. Two Trojan L16H would give you 430 Ah, with room to spare. They would weigh about the same as 4 GC-2's.

Another option would be 3 Trojan T-1275 for 450 Ah. They are 12V true deep cycle and you don't have to have even pairs.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2016, 08:19 AM   #16

Waggy-

Some time ago I ran across a design on the Web for a battery bank lift. The design involved sliding a battery tray under the coach on a lift pump-like thing and raising it to where it could bolted to the frame. Seems to me the design also had some straps-with-ratchets to raise and lower. I gave it a look, and decided my coach didn't have enough clearance to get the batteries under the skirting.

Some people have installed AGM batteries inside their coaches (that is, in areas that would be impractical or unsafe for flooded batteries). As always, you need to balance the risks and rewards for yourself- my advice won't stand up in court.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 03:49 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are considering stacking, I'd only do that with AGM maintenance free batteries where you don't have to get in there everymonth to check on water levels and corrosion.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:05 PM   #18

Thanks everyone. Some interesting ideas! I have the 4 batteries in the bin now. Getting them out could be fun, but that is a problem for another day!
I did not have the room to turn them, so I fabricated a bigger tray and pushed the back wall back an inch or 2, then everything fit. I have put a pulley in the bin to hold the battery while I am trying to get the 3rd and 4th battery in as the small opening does not allow me just to push them in. The second set have to be put on top of the first set, slid over and dropped down into the hole.

But they are all in and I did not kill myself!
I am a happy RVer!
Waggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:19 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
Thanks everyone. Some interesting ideas! I have the 4 batteries in the bin now. Getting them out could be fun, but that is a problem for another day!
I did not have the room to turn them, so I fabricated a bigger tray and pushed the back wall back an inch or 2, then everything fit. I have put a pulley in the bin to hold the battery while I am trying to get the 3rd and 4th battery in as the small opening does not allow me just to push them in. The second set have to be put on top of the first set, slid over and dropped down into the hole.

But they are all in and I did not kill myself!
I am a happy RVer!
Sounds like you are a perfect candidate for a Pro-Fill Battery watering system. Once you have one, you'll never go without. 2 minutes and done.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Another alternative is two mount additional batteries elsewhere near by. On a previous coach I added two more batteries in an adjacent compartment and wired them in. I used AGM batteries so I would not have to add ventilation there.
Gary, did you use all AGM's, or only with the additional batteries? Can they be used together, or do all AGM's need to be used?

I have thought of adding a couple of batteries in an adjacent compartment, but the thought of fabricating for ventilation always stopped me. I also understand that it's best to have all batteries identical, and the same age. Just wondering what the implications of using lead/acid along with AGM's would be.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:21 PM   #21

I was going to show the final job, but cannot paste the image here, so I loaded it up under my Gallery.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:22 PM   #22

Would love to see the plans.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:20 PM   #23

I use to have an older Fleetwood Class-C motorhome. It came with one house battery under the door step.

To increase the house storage, I took three open cell batteries and installed them in a side compartment. Where there was room, for possibly 10 or more batteries.

Some vents were installed in the compartment's door. As an additional precaution for venting, a ~4" 12 volt fan was installed with some ~3" black drainpipe going underneath the MH wired to a switch and timer.

The fan wasn't really needed, was installed only as a precaution. The door vents didn't allow any fumes to build up.

I made a battery slide out of plywood and some rollers and was able to slide the batteries out of the compartment for maintenance.

The cables from under the door step were extended to the compartment with the new set of batteries.

I had obtained electrical and other schematic from Fleetwood and also Ford manuals. So I was able to make any modifications needed to the coach wiring.

You can probably install additional batteries just about anywhere they will fit and not cause any problems. Open cell batteries do require some sort of venting.

I also have AGM batteries as they have improved quit a bit. My car has a Yellow top Optima that's over 9 years old and still tests like a new battery. I also have a Diehard Marine Platinum Group 31, I use as a second battery in an off-road vehicle. It's installed inside, wired to the starting battery.

Some of the AGMS are pretty expensive, when compared to open cell and golf cart batteries. However as starting batteries, based on national statistics AGM batteries require replacement approx. 1/2 the time as an open cell. Possibly due in part because battery maintenance, required by an open cell.

For the long term though I would probably go with a good wet cell. (Such as a Trojan, etc.) Good wet cell battery's are able to obtain around ~15 to ~20 years of life, when properly maintained.
user293 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries