Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2017, 09:31 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Wanting to get feedback on using Zep floor polish on rv

I have heard of many rv owners as well as rv detailers using a common floor polish (Zep) to keep the shine on motorhomes, fifth wheels and boats etc. Any info on this subject would be very helpful. Both pros and cons and long term results would be helpful. The older and oxidized rigs are very hard to bring back to life and I am considering using this product. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me.
boltdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2017, 09:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltdave View Post
I have heard of many rv owners as well as rv detailers using a common floor polish (Zep) to keep the shine on motorhomes, fifth wheels and boats etc. Any info on this subject would be very helpful. Both pros and cons and long term results would be helpful. The older and oxidized rigs are very hard to bring back to life and I am considering using this product. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me.
Do a search on this one. There are several very long threads specifically addressing your question.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:27 PM   #3

I followed a thread about doing this... and washed my unit with a white or gray 3M pad, and hot water/dish soap.... I was amazed how much dirt came off and how the complete surface came clean... it then took me 6 coats of a very thin film of polish to make the coach look like new (microfiber cloth application).... my neighbor came over after the process and asked if I'd had it professionally done....

Now months later... I've washed it again with normal soap(dawn) and hot water... and it turns out like new... I'm told/read that the film ends up about 3-5 mils thick and will need to be removed with a stripper to start over....

DO NOT let the 3M pad touch any metal surfaces as it will scratch it.... and to be honest when the side of the unit was clean I could see very light scratch marks from the 3M pad.... however after the second coat of wax it looked perfect but dull... with the 4th coat it started to shine....

The fiberglass caps have never looked this good... they were dull and weather damaged after years of being in the sun with nothing doing much to return the shine... OH YEA.... they wash off much more easier.... with the slick surface of the wax...
Old 02-10-2017, 09:24 AM   #4

Using it, love it, lots of threads here on that subject if you search. Read the posts from those that actually use the product and method and ignore the opinions and you'll get some great info to make a decision. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:28 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Use Poly Glow

It's made for outdoor RVs and boats and contains UV inhibitors. I've seen both Zep and Poli Glow .

Zep and Mop and Glow are made for indoor use, so as long as you keep your RV out of the sun and weather all the time, I'd say use it.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:27 PM   #6

I used it on our previous MH, 1994 Bounder. Sold it in 2015. People couldn't believe it was that old. I will warn you though. I went over all the graphics with Zep, they looked great when done. After sitting most of the summer with the driver's side to the south, in the sun, the graphics on that side developed cracks. Was it the Zep, not sure but I believe so. As for the fiberglass, worked great. Whole front splattered with bugs while traveling. Next rain when went through they were all gone.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:58 PM   #7

ZEP is great stuff, and as everyone says it will make 20 year rig look good again. I had a 1994 Coachmen Catalina and the ZEP worked wonders on it.
J. Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:14 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
I use it on the sections of my MH that are bare gelcoat.

Oldest section is about 3 years old. Looks good from 5 feet.

No experience with applying it over 2 part automotive paint areas.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:53 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Search on my user name and Zep and you'll find a great reply (if I do say so myself!) on this topic.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:09 PM   #10

I watched the YouTube videos of people using the wax on their rv's. I told the DW that no way am I wiping 5 to 6 coats of anything on our 30' class a. Too much work I thought. But one day I was looking at the side of the coach and it hit me that a good part of the bottom side is painted and then there are the windows. That didn't leave that much area to wax.

So I tried it. It was light work, maybe a 3 on a scale of 10 in difficulty. After really, really cleaning it with dishwashing soap and water, I applied the first coat with a micro fiber cloth and a micro fiber mop on a 5 ft painters extension handle. Easy. Each coat the finish added to the shine. That was 9 months ago and it still looks great.

I hope that I can just clean it later this spring and put on a new coat. Give it a try.
Dixie Mopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:13 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our '93 Bounder at that time was about 20 years old. we were probably the 3rd owners. I used Barkeepers on it because there were black mold spots and just years of neglect. This photo was taken after about 4 coats. I still see this bus on occasion now and it still looks great. The worst part of the job was just the cleaning of the coach. Putting 4 coats of the wax on probably took less than 3 hours and some of that was just waiting to be sure the previous coat was dry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0009.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	151899  

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:24 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My roof is gel coat fiberglass, usually just wash and coat with 303. But maybe I'll give it a coat or two of Zep this year.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote