Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2014, 06:55 AM   #1
mdo

Was this Typical Service?

Went online and checked on a RV and a chat screen appears... I provided all my info.... the person I was talking to said they would have a salesperson contact me.... no calls over the next 24 hours...Stopped in at the large RV dealership in Oakwood, GA...this is the same dealership I was talking to online.... once the receptionist finished answering three calls (not her fault) she found us a salesperson.... we told him we were looking for a used Class C in the $30k-40K range, 25-29', he said he didn't have any but could put us in a entry level C...while he was answering and sending text messages.....After looking at a Thor, we asked to see a Winnebago and were shown the 2014 Minnie Winnie 25B.. which we both liked even though it didn't have any slides.... each time I asked a question he was on his cellphone texting... I asked for the MSRP on the unit and he said it was around 90K but he could get us in it for 60K.... after showing us three he said he had a MH to check in and had us fill out a card and we were on our own..... I went back to check on the one we liked and it listed for $74,337....NOT 90k.....

If I were to buy new from this dealership, I'd find a different salesperson.... In fairness to him, he was polite, just focused on someone else or maybe the MH he had to check in.......

The wife likes NEW but I prefer to go used....if we were to buy one like this, what kind of discount should we expect?
mdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2014, 07:03 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
This may be indicative of the type of service you'll receive after the sale.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:05 AM   #3
mdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
This may be indicative of the type of service you'll receive after the sale.
I was hoping that wouldn't be the case since this dealer is within 50 miles of me.....but you are probably right....

Should we expect 20-30% off the MSRP?
Old 03-29-2014, 07:08 AM   #4

Welcome to the cell phone world. But there is no excuse for anyone dealing with the public to have a phone in their hand while dealing with you.

As to price, the dealer in Alvarado TX, claims to be "#1 in the world". Has to have more than a 1,500 units. His huge electronic highway build board flashes "25% or more off retail". Today he is listing 500 2014's at closeout prices.
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:11 AM   #5

Poor Salesman

Hi,

a salesman has a choice ... deal with a customer standing right in front of you or pick up a phone call (which could just be a question or even a wrong number call). Now, if you ignore the onsite customer, at the expense of a phone call or text, you stand a good chance of the customer walking away from a sale. That is a poor salesman!

And, yes, it's a good indication of post-sales service.

Do you really want to deal with a company like this?

Cheers,

Steve
scubastevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdo View Post
I was hoping that wouldn't be the case since this dealer is within 50 miles of me.....but you are probably right....

That is probably a good estimate of the discount on a new unit. However there are lots of variables...this is the beginning of RVing "busy season," so they won't be dealing as hard on new units. Also, the more bare-bones the unit you are buying, the less room the dealer will have for negotiating. Make your first offer at least 30% off, and go from there.

I would also work with another salesman.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:18 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Went online and checked on a RV and a chat screen appears... I provided all my info.... the person I was talking to said they would have a salesperson contact me.... no calls over the next 24 hours...Stopped in at the large RV dealership in Oakwood, GA...this is the same dealership I was talking to online.... once the receptionist finished answering three calls (not her fault) she found us a salesperson.... we told him we were looking for a used Class C in the $30k-40K range, 25-29', he said he didn't have any but could put us in a entry level C...while he was answering and sending text messages.....After looking at a Thor, we asked to see a Winnebago and were shown the 2014 Minnie Winnie 25B.. which we both liked even though it didn't have any slides.... each time I asked a question he was on his cellphone texting... I asked for the MSRP on the unit and he said it was around 90K but he could get us in it for 60K.... after showing us three he said he had a MH to check in and had us fill out a card and we were on our own..... I went back to check on the one we liked and it listed for $74,337....NOT 90k.....

If I were to buy new from this dealership, I'd find a different salesperson.... In fairness to him, he was polite, just focused on someone else or maybe the MH he had to check in.......

The wife likes NEW but I prefer to go used....if we were to buy one like this, what kind of discount should we expect?
Probably thought that you were just kicking tires and a sign of rudeness and inexperience by not giving you his full attention and respect.
We fired a salesman once and with our last purchase and present coach. Didn't like his attitude and among other things,the insinuation that, we didn't look like we could afford it. I mean, I'm dressed to crawl around down under in the dirt and whatever else it takes when looking to purchase anything such as this.
Called the next working day and told the sales manager that we didn't want to speak or do any business with this salesman if we were to consider buying. Went up, spent time inspecting it further and paid cash for the unit, which I'm most sure upset this guys apple cart. While spending the day and walking around, I saw him more than once and he even followed me back to the men's room once, but didn't say a word and most sure he had been forewarned. Did buy a part from this Dealer after that, but basically stayed away from them, until they sold out to Camping World.
Judging a book by it's cover is a terrible mistake in most cases, if you're in sales and gave that impression another time, when paying cash for a waterfront home in FL and did so while dressed in a bathing suit and old T shirt, while on the way back from the beach. These RE office people were smarter though and very nice, but could still sense their doubtfulness with it all.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:27 PM   #8

When most kids misbehave, it's usually the fault of the parents, not the kid. Shame on the sales manager and owner for allowing that kind of behavior from an employee.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:12 PM   #9
mdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Judging a book by it's cover is a terrible mistake in most cases, if you're in sales and gave that impression another time, when paying cash for a waterfront home in FL and did so while dressed in a bathing suit and old T shirt, while on the way back from the beach. These RE office people were smarter though and very nice, but could still sense their doubtfulness with it all.
In 1976, I was in the showroom of a Chevrolet dealer looking at a new Corvette... Back then I was only 23 yrs old, had long hair and no one would give me the time of day....after about 20 minutes went by, one SALESMAN out of the 15 standing around asked me if I wanted to buy the car and I said sure if you make the price right... you should have seen the faces of the other vultures when my salesman walked back in the showroom and put a sold tag on the windshield and told the others he needed help getting the car out of the showroom....

I let the RV salesman know that I was retired and had the assets available to make any down payment up to 20% without hurting myself.. He should have listened...but he didn't and now I will buy used and most likely from an individual who has the service history on hand.... Had I met a real salesman, he would have not blown me off especially seeing my other half was there and she liked the new ones! I think he saved me a bundle.... I know he saved me a bundle... and after reading this:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/winn...ty-191683.html

I'm certain that I will buy used, at least 3 years old from someone who has service records....
Old 03-29-2014, 05:22 PM   #10

DW and I were at the Des Moines Iowa Rv and Boat show today. We were looking at Thor diesels when an irate couple came up to us. We must have looked like we knew what was going on - we did - and asked if we has seen any salesmen that DID NOT HAVE A CELL PHONE stuck in their ear. They said they wanted to buy and could not get any help! That is the same thing we observed at the Tampa FL RV show this winter. Most of the "help" could not have cared less and we were looking to spend $200k. We left and are just going to remodel our old and paid off unit. We may look again next year.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:02 AM   #11

iRV2 No Limits Club
These salesman are missing the boat.

I was in a service business, and when I was in a client's home I NEVER answered the phone. Often the client would say: "You cell phone is ringing." (The ringer was turned down)

My response was: "I am here with you and that is more important than any phone call. It can wait."

Acquired a lot of very loyal clients that way, even the "hard" sells.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:36 AM   #12

Quote:

Have you tried RV world right done the road from them. That camping world used to be camping time and the previous owner built a facility identical to that one and took about all of the good staff including service department.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:04 AM   #13
mdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Have you tried RV world right done the road from them. That camping world used to be camping time and the previous owner built a facility identical to that one and took about all of the good staff including service department.
I will see what they have used.... Business must be really good at the place I shopped since we haven't received any follow up calls from the salesman or management....

Tags
service