RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2020, 02:56 PM   #1

Washing coach at home vs going to truck wash

Hi all,

My coach badly needs washing after a trip where we ended up doing about 5 miles on dirt roads in the rain.

In the past we have taken the coach to a truck wash about 45 minutes away.

My coach is a 37ft class A, how long would it take to wash it (no waxing)?. I figure going to the truck wash is 3 hours in total.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2020, 03:08 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
You can wash it yourself at home in under 3 hours, but you might need some equipment that you don't presently have.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
You can wash it yourself at home in under 3 hours, but you might need some equipment that you don't presently have.
Thanks,

If I could do it myself in less than 3 hours it would be great. I only pass the truck wash place once or twice a year so have to go out of the way to get to it.

What equipment would recommend?
Old 10-26-2020, 03:14 PM   #4

If it is really dirty, then I wash it by hand using a ladder to get it top to bottom. Add in the roof and it does take me about 3 hours. If itís kind of dirty, then Iíll use a real lambs wool mop head and wash from the ground with an extension pole and that takes about 2 hours.

Iím one of the weird ones that actually likes washing my rig and do really take my time detailing the wheels and really getting into the nooks and crannies. It also ends up being a good time to review all my caulking and seals.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:17 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Takes me about 1 hour to wash our 40í DP excluding roof.
I use a long handled lambs wool head to wash.
Then rinse with a DI filtered water spray wand. Drys spot free.

Wash your Hands, Wear a Mask, Social Distance
Spk64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:22 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Takes less than two hours to wash mine. Spray down with hose, use long handled brush and one bucket with sudsy water and a second with plain water. Rinse the brush in the plain water to remove dirt and grime, load up the brush again with suds. Wash one side at a time in the shade, spray off the soap before moving to the next side.
I use a 6 foot step ladder to towel dry it once the wash is completed. Keeping it waxed helps make the washing go faster. If i feel like taking a bit more time, I'll spray some detailer on it before drying it.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:22 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I too use a lamb's wool pad on a pole to spread the soap around. I use car wash soap. I found it took almost as long to dry the coach as to wash it, so I purchased a water ionizer from crspotless.com that provides a pure water rinse and allows the coach to drip-dry without spotting.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:32 PM   #8

Thanks all, I appreciate it.

I like the idea of inspecting seals and caulking at the same time.

I will check out the spot free system and lambs will brushes.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:02 PM   #9

Don't even try if you have hard water takes forever to remove spots (ask me how i know) I just ordered a DI rinse last night.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:24 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

My 40 footer takes me about an hour, using only an RV wash brush, hose and a bucket or two of wash water. I use the common Camco brush but without attaching the hose, and usually a carwash soap like Mother's Gold. That time doesn't include doing the roof, which is a once-a-year-job for me and about another hour or so by the time I get out a ladder & drag stuff up top.

I don't dry the coach cause our water doesn't spot to any noticeable degree (I'm not a purist).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:14 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
I use a lamb's wool pad from Mary Moppins on an extendable painter's pole. The water is filtered through a deionizer which made a huge difference. Our water is about 250ppm total dissolved solids and left a lot of water spots. With the deionizer I can wash in hot sun and not a water spot is left behind. The deionizer I use is from Griott's Garage and the resin lasts about 8-10 washes before I have to replace it. Complete wash without roof takes about an hour and an extra half hour to do the roof.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:15 PM   #12

3 hours for me, I have asthma and must pace myself. I wash the roof every time. I mix a solution of auto wash soap, 2-3oz bleach into a 5G pail of water. There is never any mold or mildew on the RV, including awnings and toppers as a result.
For some reason this year I have very hard water, gotta buy a DI unit, my water softener is like me old and nearly worn-out.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Thanks,

If I could do it myself in less than 3 hours it would be great. I only pass the truck wash place once or twice a year so have to go out of the way to get to it.

What equipment would recommend?

I dramatically reduced my time and effort washing with the bucket and pole pad method.
I bought a small electric Ryobi pressure washer from HD and a Ryobi foam cannon. Run a top quality wash product like Meguiers Gold through the foam cannon full strength, do not water down.
Foam your coach in thirds, rinse using a deionizer set up. I use DI Rinse. Beautiful shine, no spots,
lots less work than the bucket dip method. Note you only need the deionized rinse on your final rinse.
Takes me about 1 and 15 min.
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:51 PM   #14

Guess Iím old (or maybe lazy) I just call the mobile RV wash guy.
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote