Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2020, 03:22 PM   #1

Fancy water bay hook-up

I'm in my 40's, so not retired yet, but my family and I take a big 6-8 week summer trips every year touring our beautiful country! This is my fourth coach so I'm not a newbie either. But like most of us on here, I try to simplify anything on the coach that I can, to make traveling easier. Last year when I was out on the road with the coach, I found I was struggling unnecessarily with the water hookups. I was using some quick connects, but when you add all the common items... XL water filter, Watts water pressure gauge, wye at the spigot, and the two hoses, it just always seemed like a hassle as different campsites have different heights and angles on their water sources so I was always having to change or modify the connections. I had these items outside of the coach, either on the ground or hanging from the spigot or wye valve in whatever order would work for that particular park.

Always looking for a better solution here in the pictures below is what I did today.

I think this makes it a quicker, simpler setup. Now, with what I have done here... all I have to do is screw the wye to the campsite water source, and then two quick connects of the water hose, and two quick connects on my black flush hose.... and I'm done. It should take about a minute.

So I ask of all of you... Do you see any problems or issues? Have I done anything dumb? or do you see something I could do or add to make it even better?

Here are my answers to probably the first two questions that would be asked....

(First) Why is the filter before the regulator...

The Xl water filter really only fits where it is in the picture, that is why it is first in the line. Yes, I know it's before the pressure regulator. If I get some "crazy surge" and it breaks the filter??? Who cares, its $25 and I carry a spare! The XL filter with connectors on the end, simply would not fit any other way with the depth or width limits of the bay.

(Second) What about cross contamination?

The first item off the black flush connector is a anti-siphon, and both lines have two separate layers of shut off valves that I never have open at the same time. One on each line at the wye at the spigot and the second on each line inside the water bay. So there is zero chance of cross contamination.

Im looking for all of your expert eyes, if you see anything good or bad, please say it and maybe myself, and others reading this can learn something new!

Thanks for looking!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9265.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	273937   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9267.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	273938  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9269.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	387.4 KB
ID:	273939  
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2020, 05:19 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I like the statement that you made about making life easier. That's exactly why I do the mods I do. I want to cut down the time it takes to operate the coach, especially, things like hooking up the utilities.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:34 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been using a Wye like this for 5 or 6 years now. It makes water hook up fast and simple.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:34 PM   #4

What happens to your and your neighbors' campsites if overpressurization causes your waterline(s) to split while you are asleep or away from your coach? Do you turn the water off at the hose bibb when you leave or go to bed?
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:40 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
What happens to your and your neighbors' campsites if overpressurization causes your waterline(s) to split while you are asleep or away from your coach? Do you turn the water off at the hose bibb when you leave or go to bed?
My fresh water hose is rated at 200 lbs and I shut the black rinse hose off when not in use.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:41 PM   #6

I use the same quick connects when hooking up my coach. Got them at Lowes. They work very well and make hooking u and unhooking a breeze. Nice job
Det57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
My fresh water hose is rated at 200 lbs and I shut the black rinse hose off when not in use.
Whatever you're comfortable with and works for you.[emoji847]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
Old 02-02-2020, 12:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Det57 View Post
I use the same quick connects when hooking up my coach. Got them at Lowes. They work very well and make hooking u and unhooking a breeze. Nice job
I use them too but it doesn't take long for them to start leaking. I think I will try soaking them in vinegar. That worked on a pressure reducer I tried it on.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:20 AM   #9

I know the OP's goal is to make connecting to service easier but I would not place the regulator at the end of the hose. Imo, it needs to be installed at the campground spigot to protect everything down stream.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
I know the OP's goal is to make connecting to service easier but I would not place the regulator at the end of the hose. Imo, it needs to be installed at the campground spigot to protect everything down stream.
My point exactly.
Moreover, decisions you make may adversely affect your neighbors as well as yourself.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:27 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I am new to the MOD game but why not put the pressure regulator in front of the filter and add the "Y" connector after it?
You would just be using "filtered water to Flush the black tank at perhaps less pressure but the hoses would be simpler.
ShelbyTom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:53 PM   #12

HI OP here... To answer back to some of your questions.

I wanted to do this setup so I didn't have to keep dragging all of these items in and out every time I hook up. With this setup I would just need the small wye, and two hoses, one for fresh water, and the other hose hooked to the black tank flush. This also saves on the wear and tear of all the connections and threads that would be attached over and over.

Here are the quotes and my responses to your individual comments.

First quote: FL420
"What happens to your and your neighbors' campsites if overpressurization causes your waterline(s) to split while you are asleep or away from your coach? Do you turn the water off at the hose bib when you leave or go to bed?"

There is really no way to answer this without sounding kinda jerky but.... how would any of this be my fault or problem?
First, Im not responsible for the pressure coming out of the campsites tap. My concern is my coach, just as you are for yours. With the pressure regulator still installed in the wet bay, my coach and my water system is protected. As far as other campers and campsites... again the campgrounds water pressure blows up and damages my wye or hose... how am I responsible or able to control that? I would guess 50% of campers don't use any type pressure regulator. Second, many campgrounds have grass and sprinklers that water that grass... If you leave stuff on the ground, and it gets wet... again how would any of that be on me? Another thought, if mine blew up chances are other ones at that location did too. No, I do not turn off the water at night or when I leave.

Second quote : Mudfrog
"I know the OP's goal is to make connecting to service easier but I would not place the regulator at the end of the hose. Imo, it needs to be installed at the campground spigot to protect everything down stream.

Again think about it.... This what I'm "NOT" protecting if I do it my way... A wye, a hose, and the water filter. IF... and that a big IF, one of these fail because of high pressure.... who cares. Wye $8 Hose $20 water filter $20 and it still won't damage my coach. Even if something failed in the wet bay, it's isolated from other compartments and the coach, it's plastic, and the big 6 inch hole would let the water run out. I would have 0 damage.

Quote three: FL420
"My point exactly.
Moreover, decisions you make may adversely affect your neighbors as well as yourself."

Listen I feel I am a fantastic camp neighbor, quiet, respectful, etc.. and have never made any enemies in all my years and all 48 states. But like I said above. Why would you feel that I would be responsible for the water pressure. Heres a thought... your camping, A Cruise America rental pulls up next to you. they hook up without a pressure regulator, stuff breaks and water every where... Do you feel they owe you money for damage if you outdoor rug or chairs that got wet? Do you really think anyone is going to be liable for a water failure outside the coach? Good Luck! Unless my coach gets damaged by flying debris, there's nothing to discuss.

Fourth quote: ShelbyTom1
"I am new to the MOD game but why not put the pressure regulator in front of the filter and add the "Y" connector after it?
You would just be using "filtered water to Flush the black tank at perhaps less pressure but the hoses would be simpler."

Your suggestions are valid but I stated in the original thread. The wet bay area in the pictures above won't fit the water filter with a 90 or 45 at each end. It is simply too long, so I have it at an angle. I did try many different ways with multiple connectors to put the pressure regulator first before the filter but I could not find anyway to make it fit. Second your Idea of the wye last is good but for me and many others we like to really separate anything that has to do with the black tank so there is no chance of some kind of cross contamination getting black fluids into the clean water system. Nothing is completely safe but my way has multi layers of protection so I feel good with it.

Thank ALL of you for all your responses and keep them coming like I said maybe we can all learn something new.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:00 PM   #13

AZ RV'r,
I can see you haven't been a member here as long as I have which counts for nothing other than I have probably had more opportunities to learn from the mistakes and/or lessons learned from the posts of other members.
Several years ago on this forum there were one or perhaps several threads where members described returning to their campsites and finding theirs or nearby campers' water hoses or internal plumbing had sprung massive leaks. In most posts someone in the campground noticed and closed the hose bibb valve before too much damage occurred. In some cases they didn't.
One post in particular stuck in my mind. At least three adjoining campsites were flooded due to a ruptured water hose at one of them.
I have never experienced or even seen a flooded campsite due to a leaking hose. I am able to learn from the mistakes or just the misfortunes of others. I am grateful for those who are willing to share that information with others, especially when it might be personally embarrassing.
I usually check the water pressure with an inexpensive gauge before hooking up to an unfamiliar water source just I check the electrical pedestal in an unfamiliar campground before hooking up my electrical system. I have detected water pressures at the hose bibb in a campground as high as 110psig. I was able to use the campsite with a pressure reducer(before the hose and filter) but I now prefer to fill my fresh water tank and use my 12 volt water pump. It's a lot easier to turn off the pump rather than the hose bibb when we go to bed or leave the campground.
There are quite a few members on this forum who do the same or similar in the interest of safety and convenience.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:06 PM   #14

I agree with all you said above and thanks for taking the time to answer. I too carry a simple water pressure tester gauge and I am able to check the pressure at the tap. I also carry one of those cheap pre-set pressure regulators as a back up. So to agree with your point I could leave my setup in my wet bay... but when I arrive at a new site, first check the pressure and if it seems too high I could install the preset regulator before my wye to keep everyone around me and everything safe from pressure related failures if I find it to be unusually high.

We are only a month apart on join dates but you have about 7 times as many posts as I do.

Tags
fan, water