Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2018, 12:15 PM   #1

Water heater issue

Hi, I'm new here and wondering about my water heater. I have a skyline nomad that has both the LP and electric option. In the kitchen area I have a light up rocket switch that lights up when using electric. I want to use electric only,and it keeps going right to LP gas??. Last month it was working using electric,and the rocker switch stayed on(indicating electric) which is what I want. I can not figure out how to keep it always electric?? It keeps shutting off the red rocker switch light and then immediately fires the LP ignition(gas). Any thoughts greatly appreciated. I have a 1998 37' skyline w/Atwood wat er heater. Nothing in manual explains how to select electric or LP.
Gtoman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2018, 01:10 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

The electric element is only 1400 watts, it would be very slow to heat the water and a long recovery wait when cold is introduced when using the hot water. I don't know if you'll be able to eliminate the LP heating functions.

Here's a link to an Atwood Service Manual, you can read through and see how it works.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:47 PM   #3

Good Afternoon, I have a Atwood Gas only water heater that I have changed all the major components out (electrically) and now have no ignition. Checked the gap on the igniter (new one), New Circuit board(checked the fuse), have power, thermal is good, new EC and TS will light momentary and then go out so I am getting gas. Worked yesterday. I am stumped! I have read the manual several times. Of course it only happens while we are out on the road. Please offer suggestions!. Thanks in advance.

Dave Shirley
"99" Fleetwood Discovery
daveshirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:54 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshirley View Post
Good Afternoon, I have a Atwood Gas only water heater that I have changed all the major components out (electrically) and now have no ignition. Checked the gap on the igniter (new one), New Circuit board(checked the fuse), have power, thermal is good, new EC and TS will light momentary and then go out so I am getting gas. Worked yesterday. I am stumped! I have read the manual several times. Of course it only happens while we are out on the road. Please offer suggestions!. Thanks in advance.

Dave Shirley
"99" Fleetwood Discovery
You might get more response if you start a new thread on this rather than 'piggy-back' on a thread about standard WH operation.

Bob & Donna
Old 02-25-2018, 02:15 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question ... Do you have an Intelletec Energery Management System?

And if you do are you on a 30 amp (or less) Site?

Others will see a great light if the asnwwers to both questions is YES. (As for me.. I do not have that system. I am, however on a 30 amp site).
Old 02-25-2018, 03:04 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I think the most common arrangement is for the AC switch and the LPG switch be be side-by-side. The LP switch usually has a separate indicator light that comes on when the switch is turned on and goes off after the LP burner lights. The AC switch may or may not have an internal light.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:59 PM   #7

Hi,thanks for the info. And the warm welcome on a cold night! I will check the link and see how it goes. I think I'll also check to make sure the element is not working or "open",if that s possible. I only have a 1 lighted switch ( on wall near sink,below is a non lit water pump switch,perhaps it burnt itself out when I had a major freeze of all lines last month. Record cold !!! Stay tuned and again,thanks�� B well.��
Gtoman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:03 PM   #8

Dave, wiggle the brown wire. And gto man, the electric WH part has its own switch, with a seperate red or amber light right next to it (like a wall switch). Just gotta find the right switch.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:11 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtoman62 View Post
Hi,thanks for the info. And the warm welcome on a cold night! I will check the link and see how it goes. I think I'll also check to make sure the element is not working or "open",if that s possible. I only have a 1 lighted switch ( on wall near sink,below is a non lit water pump switch,perhaps it burnt itself out when I had a major freeze of all lines last month. Record cold !!! Stay tuned and again,thanks�� B well.��
The switch that turns on the 12v/LP portion of the WH might only light if it fails to light after three tries and locks it off until reset.

I think what wa8yxm was hinting at is that if you are plugged into a 30 amp pedestal, if your RV is equipped with an Intelletec (or another brand) Energery Management System (EMS), it manages power to high draw items and might not allow the WH element to turn on if it would exceed the 30 A limitation of the pedestal. If you were plugged into a 50 A pedestal, it wouldn't shut off any appliances.

Bob & Donna

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater