Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2016, 08:59 AM   #1

Water heater on or off at night?

We have a 10 gallon electric and LP water heater. Other than remembering to turn it on in the morning, is it best to turn it off at night or does it not really matter. Most of the time we are plugged in to 50amp power.

Thanks...
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2016, 09:06 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you're on 50 amp power, why turn it off at night? If you leave it on, you'll have hot water for anything you need it for when you get up in the morning.
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:11 AM   #3

I never turn mine off when in camp. Never have. Like having hot water when I want it.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:18 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
I never turn mine off when in camp. Never have. Like having hot water when I want it.
I assume the water tanks are glass lined. If that is the case then the heat cold recycling will cause the water heater tank to fail sooner. If you think about it roadways are the same. So keeping the tanks at temp is better.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:29 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I always left ours on when parked, even when on gas only. We had the three way unit gas/electric and motor aid.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:15 PM   #6

Whether we're plugged in or having to use the propane, it stays on while camping.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:23 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We leave the AC side of the WH on all the time when we're on shore power, then turn on the LP side before getting showers in order to have more hot water.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbonsell View Post
We have a 10 gallon electric and LP water heater. Other than remembering to turn it on in the morning, is it best to turn it off at night or does it not really matter. Most of the time we are plugged in to 50amp power.

Thanks...
Well Sir,
You don't say whether or not you're referring to the propane operation or, 120VAC operation of the water heater in your question. If you're referring to the propane side, many will turn it off to conserve propane as, the unit may cycle a few times during the night, especially if it's an exceptionally chilly night. If you're referring to the 120VAC side, there's really no need to turn it off. All you'd be doing is, saving the owner of the campground a minute amount of money in his electric bill and you'd be out hot water in the morning.
When we dry camp which of course means using the propane side of our water heater, we often shut the water heater down when we go to bed. But, being of "older age" and therefore the necessity of getting up at least once or twice before morning for a bathroom run, one of us will turn it back on in the wee hours of the morning. By the time we get up, it's cycled enough that we have our water hot for wash-up.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:34 PM   #9

Since we have gas only we turn it off after all use for the night. Back on in the morning. When I had a combo unit, left it on elec all the time.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:52 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you turn it off all night, and it's chilly, you'll waste time and energy in the morning reheating the same water. A water heater turns itself off and on anyway, to keep the water at the selected temp.
We use the same technique others have mentioned. We leave the electric on constantly, but turn on the gas before a large usage just to enhance recovery time.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 03:04 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Yeah, wifey gets up and there's no hot water, starts her day off with that. No a place where I wanna be. The HWH stays ON, sweety stays happy, I live another day.
TonyMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 03:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
If you turn it off all night, and it's chilly, you'll waste time and energy in the morning reheating the same water. A water heater turns itself off and on anyway, to keep the water at the selected temp.
We use the same technique others have mentioned. We leave the electric on constantly, but turn on the gas before a large usage just to enhance recovery time.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
You may be wasting time reheating, but you won't be wasting energy. Reheating only replaces the heat energy lost from the tank as it cools overnight. Overall, you will save energy by turning off the tank at night because heat loss from the tank is proportional to the tank temperature. As the tank cools at night, it will be losing heat at a lower and lower rate.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:11 PM   #13

Water heater on previous and current motorhome both Atwood 6 gallon propane… Only turn it on when needed to save propane… But usually heats up pretty quick usually five or 10 minutes and will be scalding hot when ready...

So yes we turn ours off at night...
Old 11-28-2016, 03:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargeman View Post
Water heater on previous and current motorhome both Atwood 6 gallon propane… Only turn it on when needed to save propane… But usually heats up pretty quick usually five or 10 minutes and will be scalding hot when ready...

So yes we turn ours off at night...
X2 US too

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater