Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2016, 01:09 PM   #1

Water Leak

Getting water on the carpet of my 05 Monaco Diplomat. Thought it may be from the slide, but after checking how the slide seats, I don't think it's from the slide. The only other place that I can think of would be the air conditioner. Removed the interior vent assy. and placed paper towels where the air conditioner meets the roof. After heavy rains the towels were dry, however, the floor was wet. The carpeting that is soaked is at the road side corner, ceiling is not stained (yet). My question is, can water infiltrate into the ceiling without being visible at the area that I can see.
timeforus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2016, 02:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeforus View Post
Getting water on the carpet of my 05 Monaco Diplomat. Thought it may be from the slide, but after checking how the slide seats, I don't think it's from the slide. The only other place that I can think of would be the air conditioner. Removed the interior vent assy. and placed paper towels where the air conditioner meets the roof. After heavy rains the towels were dry, however, the floor was wet. The carpeting that is soaked is at the road side corner, ceiling is not stained (yet). My question is, can water infiltrate into the ceiling without being visible at the area that I can see.
timeforus
It can.
The fix might be as simple as re-torquing the roof A/C mounting/hold down bolts to the INCH/pound torque specified in your A/C owners manual.
(I check mine once a year and often find they need to be re-torqued).
Mel
'96 Safari, , 145k miles , (20 years old today).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:59 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Water leaks can be a real nightmare to find!

I worked on one for months. I finally bought a 50' roll of EternaBond 4" tape and some Dicor 502LSW sealant. I resealed ALL the roof openings, putting tape around all the larger openings such as vents, skylight, etc. and the sealant around smaller openings such as vent pipes, TV antenna, etc. I also put a bead of Dicor around all the EternaBond tape edges.

Hopefully I've finally got it licked! No water visible after several hard rains!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:47 PM   #4

Water Leak

Thanks, it's hard right now to repair things (if I find something) right now due to the cold, here in Mass. Maybe it is the slide, the only thing that I've done since I've noticed the leak, was to jack up the slide (adjust) at the rear corner aprrox. a 1/4". I've looked at the slides seals so many times and can't find anything.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:21 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks, it's hard right now to repair things (if I find something) right now due to the cold, here in Mass. Maybe it is the slide, the only thing that I've done since I've noticed the leak, was to jack up the slide (adjust) at the rear corner aprrox. a 1/4". I've looked at the slides seals so many times and can't find anything.

I forgot to mention that I had a 2nd leak around the slide in the bedroom. The rubber seal was not sealing good on one top corner. I went to the tire store and got an old truck inner tube (free). I cut out a right-angle piece of rubber and used heavy-duty weatherstrip cement to glue it to the existing seal. So far, so good!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:44 PM   #6

Water Leak

Went out to the coach this afternoon and with a ladder did a through inspection of windows, ICC lights and most of all the area where the roof meets the side walls. All top caulking above the rail looked fine. There were two areas below the rail that had missing or caulk that was pulled away. There was a 15" long section on the road side and this area is about 15' from the wet carpet in the bedroom. Hoping this was my leak. On the curb side there was an area about 2" that had what appeared to have no caulk at all, this was at the center of the coach. A third area and quite large was at the front road side corner where the roof and the front shroud (at the left most ICC light) meet. I could just lift the entire (7 or 8") piece of caulk away from the joint. I removed all loose caulk cleaned the area with denatured alcohol and then caulked the area/s. Hopefully, the caulk gives me a strong bond, temp. was 37. Want to thank all of you for your help. I'm sure I need help again down the road.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:04 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Check and make sure your slide toppers are retracting in correctly I have had water come in when my tension on the roller was not tight enough causing the topper not to retract in all the way and pooled water which came inside the unit
Old 01-20-2016, 05:20 PM   #8

Water leak

Thanks, all toppers seem to good and have good tension. I don't think I'll have to worry about rain for the next two months. Cleaned 5" of snow off the roof on Monday and will have to remove the snow again this Saturday/Sunday due to another snow storm.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:58 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:

Is the moisture on the front corner of the driver's side? I have same issue in trying to solve.

2005 Monaco Knight
40PLQ
Triple bunkhouse!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
ivan_drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:46 AM   #10

Water leak

Ivan, the leak is in the bedroom on the road side and at the night stand in the rear corner. The carpet at the night stand is wet. I did caulk three areas and the major caulk job was at the road side corner all the way in the front of the coach, that's about 40' away from the wet carpet. That's the corner where the roof meets the front of the rig, which had no caulk. The other two areas that I caulked were in the middle of the coach where the roof meets the side wall. Guess I'll know if that was the problem when it isn't freezing and it rains. Hope you solve your problem also. Mike
Old 01-27-2016, 04:39 AM   #11

Just a shot in the dark, but a lot of owners forget that their slides can leak even though they have toppers. Rain will blow up under them. Everyone checks the roof seams, but you need a ladder for the slide roof. Because of the toppers it's difficult to downright impossible to get to the outside seam. I had a pinhole opening at an outside corner of my slide that was nearly impossible to see. The water was running down the inside of the wall so it wasn't visible by making a stain. If you can??? I'd try to see if there's anyway you can check that seam.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:19 AM   #12

Water Leak

Hello, good news (for me). Had very heavy rains last night and went out to the coach this morning and the carpeting in the rear corner is/was dry. Guess the three spots that I repaired did the thick. I am amazed that the major opening (where the front cowling, roof and side wall meet, above drivers side window) which is approx. 40' away may have caused water on the carpet that far away.
Thanks to all for your input, which proves again, that sometimes I/We tend to think that our repairs are always a big deal, when in fact the fix may be simple.

Mike
05 Diplomat PRQ
Old 02-04-2016, 11:20 AM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"timeforus"......I had an 05 Diplomat that had a leak that would wet the carpet at the front edge of the living room slide. The carpet would get soaked just below the driver's seat, along the wall. Primarily where the kick panel is onnear the driver's left leg. I searched for a year and tried everything. We get so little rain that it was hard to chase it down.

The first thing I did was to start tilting the motor home in the rain (front to rear) to see if I still got the leak. When the front was lifted, no leak. That told me that the water was running down the slide and then onto the floor.

Here is what I finally found. You have a "U" shaped aluminum rail along the top of the slide. It has holes drilled in it. The water on mine was getting on top of the slide, getting into that rail and then coming out the slide. The repair was pretty simple. On the outside of the coach, I found the silicone at the upper corner of the slide seal needed to be repaired. Just under your slide cover, (front or rear edge) you have the rubber seals meeting and sealing at the corner of the slide opening. When examined, I could see where water could come off the rain gutter and catch in that corner where all the seals were meeting. If you look, it will make sense as to what needs some additional silicone.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak