Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2021, 01:29 PM   #1

Water leaking

We just bought a 2006 national surfside 34d. I've always wanted a motorhome, finally got one..but im so overwhelmed with the learning curve of everything. Fortunately my 13 year olds brain is a sponge and remembers things. Anyways, i filled up the freshwater tank by just attaching my garden hose to the inlet. I DIDN'T use the pressure regulator because i thought it was only for when you have water hookups at a site. I never turned the hose up all the way and didn't even fill the tank to the top. Went camping for a night, no issues...have it parked in front of my house with a little lean to the right (passenger side) there is a small slow leak dripping from the 2nd and 3rd storage compartment (they are connected). The carpet inside is wet and the water is dripping from the edge of the frame under it. It makes no sense, neighbor is very mechanically inclined and cant figure it out. Passenger side of the coach above the water is a couch and dinette. Attached a pic of the inside of the storage and underneath where the drip is coming from.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210722_184501.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	467.8 KB
ID:	336993   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210722_184517.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	336994  

Finallygot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2021, 01:38 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If you connect the hose, and turn the spigot open to any degree, you will get flow in proportion to the opening of the valve, and full pressure once flow stops. The spigot will not control the pressure, only the flow. What pressure does your spigot have?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:45 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Water in the tank is not under any pressure. Water after the water pump may be under pressure, we can say it usually is. With the hose connected to the city water inlet, the system is pressurized at city water pressure. A small leak can travel a long distance before it becomes evident. One of my biggest leak criminals is my water heater drain plug, but this always ends up outside. Other areas on the backside of the water heater can have leaks, where the AC element and the Anode rod protrude into the tank. I'd look at the backside of the water heater first, as it's usually quick and easy.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:47 PM   #4

Hose pressure (no pressure regulator) should NOT be a problem when filling the tank. Only if pushing against a sealed system does pressure build to where it could cause an issue.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:16 PM   #5

Pressure is a function of resistance to flow, when flow stops pressure will be the same whether faucet is barely open or fully open.
Bottom line is you have a leak or a stopped up overflow.
ROUGHRIDER3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:00 PM   #6

No leaks at the campground when using only tank water, no hook up? Leaking at home when parked on a slant? Continues to leak without pump being ON? Pump does not cycle ON/OFF by itself?

If “yes” to above, a leak in the tank or connection to a line is most likely, unless tank is full and overflow is leaking.

The pictures seem to show moisture coming down the back wall and moving toward the outside, under the compartment. Where is your fresh tank location?
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
No leaks at the campground when using only tank water, no hook up? Leaking at home when parked on a slant? Continues to leak without pump being ON? Pump does not cycle ON/OFF by itself?

If “yes” to above, a leak in the tank or connection to a line is most likely, unless tank is full and overflow is leaking.

The pictures seem to show moisture coming down the back wall and moving toward the outside, under the compartment. Where is your fresh tank location?
Not even trying to be funny...i have no idea. We can't find it. I cant even find a drain plug to drain the damn thing. ��*♂️
Old 07-23-2021, 07:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finallygot1 View Post
Not even trying to be funny...i have no idea. We can't find it. I cant even find a drain plug to drain the damn thing. ��*♂️
Not a problem. Unless you have a plumbing diagram or the underside of the chassis is open, you wouldn’t know.

What about the answers to the other questions? They will help narrow down the possible cause.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Not a problem. Unless you have a plumbing diagram or the underside of the chassis is open, you wouldn’t know.

What about the answers to the other questions? They will help narrow down the possible cause.
Its parked on a very mild slant. Right now its like a drip every 2 min. Not a lot of water. I do have both storage doors open to air it out so it doesn't get mold goin on the carpet. We only have camped in it once on wed night..used the sink water once for 10 sec and bathroom was used maybe 5 times for liquids. No leaks we could see there. Coach came with tons of paperwork...no plumbing diagram of course. Manuel talks about the fresh water tank and hot water heater...doesn't say where they are lol
Old 07-23-2021, 07:43 PM   #10

Quote:

Also the pipe that runs on the top of the storage conpartments....no water at all from it..thats why this makes no sense
Old 07-23-2021, 10:30 PM   #11

is the refrigerator on that side close to the dinette? If so, does it have an ice maker? Also did you defrost the fridge after your trip?
Old 07-24-2021, 01:35 PM   #12

Fridge is on other side "drivers side". No ice maker and no, doors have been shut. I think i need to just take it to a shop and have a tech walk me through everything lol. Previous owner waited until the last minute to tell me the electric leveling jacks didnt work...should have canceled the sale then. Its in really good condition and looks taken care of...maybe its just the dark cloud that follows me haha
Old 07-24-2021, 10:47 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have readsome dinette floorplans have water pump/ tank under dinette bench?
Old 07-25-2021, 06:00 AM   #14

Your fresh tank drain my be near pump. Usually fresh tank drain and low point drains/valves for hot and cold pipes. If you were on city water the tank may have over filled to the top of fresh tank "happens a lot due to various things" and leaked from over flow and puddled on top of the fresh or other tanks.
Also gravity fill port hoses leak and not always at top of tank , if equipped do you have gravity fill ??. Also you cant trust tank level systems especially new to you MH don't base troubleshooting on those.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak