Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2022, 07:36 PM   #1

Water Pressure Regulator

Currently I have one of the basic regulators without a gauge. Water pressure is very low. I am looking to purchase an adjustable one with a gauge. The Camco and Valterra models I am seeing do not have very good reviews. Complaints include leaking around plastic cap, irratic water pressure and incorrect pressure readings. Don't want to use something I can't trust not to ruin my plumbing. Hopefully, some of you have some real world recommendations.
txhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2022, 07:38 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've this one for a few years. Works well.

Renator M11-0660R Water Pressure... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7JZTYX...p_mob_ap_share
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:36 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by txhood View Post
Currently I have one of the basic regulators without a gauge. Water pressure is very low. I am looking to purchase an adjustable one with a gauge. The Camco and Valterra models I am seeing do not have very good reviews. Complaints include leaking around plastic cap, irratic water pressure and incorrect pressure readings. Don't want to use something I can't trust not to ruin my plumbing. Hopefully, some of you have some real world recommendations.
Just curious what you are going to adjust the pressure to. Most try to regulate to somewhere in the neighborhood of 50psi. If your source pressure is 100psi, you're going to want to regulate it to 50psi (or whatever your chosen pressure is). If your source pressure is 40psi, there's nothing you're going to be able to do to increase it aside from using an auxiliary pump.
If you're saying that you don't like the standard 50psi regulators, and you want to crank it up, just make sure your plumbing can handle it. It's all about the weakest link.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
Just curious what you are going to adjust the pressure to. Most try to regulate to somewhere in the neighborhood of 50psi. If your source pressure is 100psi, you're going to want to regulate it to 50psi (or whatever your chosen pressure is). If your source pressure is 40psi, there's nothing you're going to be able to do to increase it aside from using an auxiliary pump.
If you're saying that you don't like the standard 50psi regulators, and you want to crank it up, just make sure your plumbing can handle it. It's all about the weakest link.

I plan to use between 45 and 50. My thinking is that the regulator I have now may be restricting to much less than that. Without a gauge I have no way of knowing.
txhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:57 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I went with a watts 263a-lf adjustable regulator, with a gauge. Got if from the rvwaterfilterstore. Part of the reason is it’s re-buildable and all brass and stainless steel.
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 09:02 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
This ones been working good for us for a few years now...
Removed the problematic original in line reducer, hard plumbed this in and set to just under 50psi. No issues now.
https://www.amazon.com/RVGUARD-Press...s%2C486&sr=8-5
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 11:45 PM   #7

Well,
In the ten years we've owned and traveled in our present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, we've owned three of the ones linked by the posts above. All three of them developed leaks around the plastic cap that houses the adjustment screw, spring and washer assembly. They all copy each others design. They're all the same unit, with different names. We're on our fourth one at present.

And it's not really the high input pressure that's causing the issue. We've been to camps/RV parks that lower, around 55-60 psi right at the connection and I've still developed leaks in those cheap plastic screw on caps. And speaking of that, the threads on those black plastic caps are very, very fine and not that many of them. They are the weak point in the construction of those regulators. If the bone heads that make them would put another $1.50 in quality materials like a brass cap instead of the cheap plastic ones, those would last a whole lot longer.

I have even gone so far as to X-wire (safety wire) those caps on and they've still developed leaks. JUNK! Some RV'rs have resorted to residential home regulators with adapters on them and have good results. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 06:14 AM   #8

I bought a Watts whole house adjustable regulator with gauge at a big box store. Had to add pipe thread to hose thread adapters. One male and one female. Mine was 3/4 or 1 inch inlet and outlet size. Don't get the 1/2" size. I added a 18" long flex connector like the ones used to connect water heaters in a house. Had braided stainless steel covering which allows connection to a water supply that is too close to ground or mounting post. I think that was more than ten years ago. Mine is set to 55 pounds.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 06:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_J View Post
I went with a watts 263a-lf adjustable regulator, with a gauge. Got if from the rvwaterfilterstore. Part of the reason is itís re-buildable and all brass and stainless steel.
X2
Have same one set at 50 psi for 15 years. Never an issue. Pay me now or pay me later. You get what you pay for. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 04-05-2022, 07:28 AM   #10

I see this but needs NPT to hose adaptors . Seen the 15,20,25,30 models descriptions are not great for pipe size. At least no plastic cap to fail.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y28VCQZ...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,
In the ten years we've owned and traveled in our present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, we've owned three of the ones linked by the posts above. All three of them developed leaks around the plastic cap that houses the adjustment screw, spring and washer assembly. They all copy each others design. They're all the same unit, with different names. We're on our fourth one at present.

And it's not really the high input pressure that's causing the issue. We've been to camps/RV parks that lower, around 55-60 psi right at the connection and I've still developed leaks in those cheap plastic screw on caps. And speaking of that, the threads on those black plastic caps are very, very fine and not that many of them. They are the weak point in the construction of those regulators. If the bone heads that make them would put another $1.50 in quality materials like a brass cap instead of the cheap plastic ones, those would last a whole lot longer.

I have even gone so far as to X-wire (safety wire) those caps on and they've still developed leaks. JUNK! Some RV'rs have resorted to residential home regulators with adapters on them and have good results. Good luck.
Scott
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 08:46 AM   #11

I have donated a few to my fellow RVers around the country. Watts, Camco, etc..., they are worked great.

Where the adjustment comes in handy is the parks with insane pressure. We have only ran into two that had over 110 psi of water. Those are when you have to turn them down to keep at the 50 psi.

Since we stopped traveling for work and now travel for fun, I haven't left a regulator on the spigot.
Old 04-05-2022, 10:16 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I really like the Fairview pressure regulator. It does not restrict the flow rate and is set at 55PSI. I have a pressure gauge on the RV side so I can be sure the regulator is doing it's job! I have it installed in the wet bay and use the Zero G hose so don't worry about high pressure popping the hose.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 10:32 AM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
This is the one a few are talking about and is what we use. I've installed a new one on each of my last three coaches. One was on for 10 years, one on for 5 years and the current one has been on our coach for three years. None of them have leaked.

I set my pressure at 65 psi. The gauge is nice, but I only use it one time. Once I find someplace that has higher than 65 psi, I set the gauge and then never look at it again.

Unfortunately, the cost has gone up quite a bit. If I recall, the last time I bought one it was about $140.00.

You want a regulator with a large bore for flow.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/w...-lf-with-gauge
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 09:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
This is the one a few are talking about and is what we use. I've installed a new one on each of my last three coaches. One was on for 10 years, one on for 5 years and the current one has been on our coach for three years. None of them have leaked.

I set my pressure at 65 psi. The gauge is nice, but I only use it one time. Once I find someplace that has higher than 65 psi, I set the gauge and then never look at it again.

Unfortunately, the cost has gone up quite a bit. If I recall, the last time I bought one it was about $140.00.

You want a regulator with a large bore for flow.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/w...-lf-with-gauge

How do you winterize it? Do you just pink it with the rest of the water system? Or do you remove it for cold weather storage?
Lleaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
regulator, water, water pressure