Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2018, 08:09 PM   #1

Water pump cycling - new pump

Hello-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I recently installed the pump above to replace my malfunctioning water pump. When the pump is providing pressure for the MH, for example when someone is taking a shower where a steady flow of pressurized water is needed, should the water pump cycle on and off in short, say one-second intervals to maintain water pressure, or should it be running continuously?

I thought my old water pump, which was the identical model, ran continuously, but my memory could be incorrect. It would seem to me that having a pump like this constantly cycle on/off in short intervals would shorten the life of the pump, but perhaps that is the way they are designed.

Thanks.
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2018, 08:30 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Interesting. I just changed my 12 yr old pump to the same pump. Honestly, I can remember if my old pump ran constantly when taking a shower or anything. I do know my pump leaked and my outside shower (that I have never used on any rv). Old one did take some time to charge because of leaks. New one fires right up and seems to have more pressure.
I'll be watching this also. Thanks.
Bangorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ualdriver View Post
Hello-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I recently installed the pump above to replace my malfunctioning water pump. When the pump is providing pressure for the MH, for example when someone is taking a shower where a steady flow of pressurized water is needed, should the water pump cycle on and off in short, say one-second intervals to maintain water pressure, or should it be running continuously?

I thought my old water pump, which was the identical model, ran continuously, but my memory could be incorrect. It would seem to me that having a pump like this constantly cycle on/off in short intervals would shorten the life of the pump, but perhaps that is the way they are designed.

Thanks.
The pump runs when water is on. Shuts off when you turn off the water as I remember. I'm on a seasonal site. The only time I run the pump is to winterize. That how mine works.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:44 PM   #4

The “one second intervals” is what’s throwing me for a loop. My pump cycles because it builds to pressure faster than it’s relieved. Little stuff like brushing teeth the pump comes on when pressure drops, but builds right up and cycles off. But it’s off and on times are like 10 seconds at a stretch. I’ve pondered a pressure tank to smooth it all out, but it’s not like it’s a “problem,” so meh.

Shower I dunno it may have to stay on but if it cycles I haven’t noticed.

I’d say your rapid cycling is unusual but try turning on shower, open some faucets, flush the can, etc. with all that going it it shouldn’t cycle. It should just run. Turn some items off one by one and you’ll get to a point it cycles, but not one second at a time. Keep turning off faucets and the cycling times should shorten. If so, I wouldn’t worry about it too much, but it’s also possible you have a flakey pressure switch on the pump perhaps?
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civdiv99 View Post
The “one second intervals” is what’s throwing me for a loop. My pump cycles because it builds to pressure faster than it’s relieved. Little stuff like brushing teeth the pump comes on when pressure drops, but builds right up and cycles off. But it’s off and on times are like 10 seconds at a stretch. I’ve pondered a pressure tank to smooth it all out, but it’s not like it’s a “problem,” so meh.

Shower I dunno it may have to stay on but if it cycles I haven’t noticed.

I’d say your rapid cycling is unusual but try turning on shower, open some faucets, flush the can, etc. with all that going it it shouldn’t cycle. It should just run. Turn some items off one by one and you’ll get to a point it cycles, but not one second at a time. Keep turning off faucets and the cycling times should shorten. If so, I wouldn’t worry about it too much, but it’s also possible you have a flakey pressure switch on the pump perhaps?
Yeah, I should turn a bunch of stuff on and see if it runs continuously.

I was wondering if there is some sort of adjustment setting on the pump to perhaps adjust the sensitivity of the pressure switch on the pump.

I really don't care if it cycles on/off as we can barely hear it and the water streams continuously (i.e. it doesn't "pulse" in rhythm with the pump). I'm more concerned about pump longevity.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:50 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
You can adjust the sensitivity of the pump.

How To Adjust The Pressure Switch On A SHURflo Water Pump

http://lazydazearticles.blogspot.com...008-water.html
Old 08-12-2018, 09:01 PM   #7

Excellent video!!!

Thanks! I'm going to play with that tomorrow.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:42 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
You CAN adjust the pressure sensitivity. You CAN put your foot under a running lawnmower too. Question is, SHOULD you adjust it? Most likely not. Otherwise you will get complaints from wife about the water is surging as it comes out of the faucet, because the pressure drops too low to produce reasonable flow, then pump kicks on and pressure jumps, Then it cuts off and there you go. Pump doesn't mind turning on and off. The more quickly it cycles, the more even your water pressure will be. The more slowly it cycles, the bigger the pressure swings will be...

Only time you should be concerned is when you hear it cycling with any frequency and NO water is being used. Bad check valve or leak somewhere most likely, neither of which you want to ignore.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:13 PM   #9

The Link to the lazy daze adjustments for bypass and pressure switch is good way for that pump

First you should check couple of things:
Showers typically have flow restrictors either in hose connections or handle.
They WILL cause high pressure/flow pump to cycle

Remove shower handle...turn water on.
Does pump still cycle?
Remove shower hose from faucet.....turn water on
Does pump still cycle?
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
The Link to the lazy daze adjustments for bypass and pressure switch is good way for that pump

Does pump still cycle?
Does pump still cycle?
Through Old Biscuit........thanks.

Old Biscuit.......will follow your steps tomorrow hopefully when back at RV and report back if still having issue......if this even is an issue.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:23 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

Does pump still cycle?
Does pump still cycle?
Old Biscuit-

Thanks for your time.

When I removed the shower handle (which I know is a "water saver" handle and most likely has a restriction), the pump pulsed.

When I removed the shower hose from the faucet, I could physically see a disc with a small hole in it, which restricts the flow of water. The pump pulsed when I turned the water on.

So I left the shower faucet on, then went and turned the sinks on. With the increased demand, the pump ran continuously without pulsing.

I assume, then, that the pump cycling is normal when running water restricting devices? And if it is normal, I guess pumps like these cycle all the time in the 1000s of RVs out there, and it doesn't have a detrimental effect on the pump?

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:53 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ualdriver View Post
I assume, then, that the pump cycling is normal when running water restricting devices? And if it is normal, I guess pumps like these cycle all the time in the 1000s of RVs out there, and it doesn't have a detrimental effect on the pump?

Thanks.
Correct, this is normal pump operation - it's working as designed.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Correct, this is normal pump operation - it's working as designed.
Thanks!

Tags
water, water pump