Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #1

Water pump not working

Hello folks I live in the Northeast and it is getting cold today its 8° The real feel is below zero. I full-time with my unit. I put in the pink stuff and ran it through the lines. I also added it to my freshwater tank so I can flush when using the bathroom. Today while laying in bed I heard a noise it sounded like the water pump was trying to draw water about every 20 seconds. sounded like the noise was coming from outside where the black tank is located. And not under the bed where my freshwater tank and pump is located. so I got out of bed use the bathroom and it would not flush. I guess the lines are frozen or the water pump froze any idea.
on2thenext is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2015, 01:30 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Any similar problem before you winterized it? Sounds like maybe the the water valves are in the wrong position.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:32 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Probably lines are frozen. If you put the pink stuff in your tank and you are using your onboard water, the pink stuff is probably too diluted to be affective. Have you tried using city water line? IF you do you will probably need to get some heat tape and insulation and duct tape your hose entering your unit. Hopefully it will warm up today and things will thaw out. If not you may need some space heaters to help.
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:00 PM   #4

No I had no problem before I winterized. I'm not hooked up to city water I Boondock and I'm only using the water for flushing the bathroom.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:01 PM   #5

Also every time I add water to the fresh tank I also add more anti-freeze
Old 01-07-2015, 03:08 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Take a glass of it out of the water tank and set it outside......bet it freezes, and the noise you hear, might be your black tank.....its freezing up.....!
You did not mention what kind of a RV you are in? The pink stuff is designed to push water out, replace most of it, to do its job, yours is to diluted I believe.........you need to get some heat on fast......before your problem gets worse, and things start to break.....
Old 01-07-2015, 03:24 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by on2thenext View Post
Hello folks I live in the Northeast and it is getting cold today its 8° The real feel is below zero. I full-time with my unit. I put in the pink stuff and ran it through the lines. I also added it to my freshwater tank so I can flush when using the bathroom. Today while laying in bed I heard a noise it sounded like the water pump was trying to draw water about every 20 seconds. sounded like the noise was coming from outside where the black tank is located. And not under the bed where my freshwater tank and pump is located. so I got out of bed use the bathroom and it would not flush. I guess the lines are frozen or the water pump froze any idea.
I would drain and add more pink stuff...then put water in gallon jug to use to flush the toilet...Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:00 AM   #8

Still no luck with the water pump today it is 21° out and sunny I ran the heat at 55 the last couple of days. I am not sure if my black tank is frozen I am going to try to apply heat to it as well as putting heat with my big buddy heater with caution under The bed where the water pump and water lines are.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:57 PM   #9

Any idea how I can get some water out of my freshwater tank when my water pump is not working my freshwater tank is located under my bed and there is no drain plug for it I have an outside shower that I have used to drain it but without the pump no water will come out????
Old 01-09-2015, 08:21 AM   #10
doc

Appalachian Campers
I have been told the pink stuff freezes but does not expand like water. Supposedly it just gets slushy. Have not seen this in person but that would explain why a pump will not move it.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:40 PM   #11

Hello everyone I figured I would update those of you who help me out I finally got the water pump to start pumping water and antifreeze. I drained a lot of water out of my freshwater tank it appears I did dilute the pink stuff too much. so I remove water and added pink anti-freeze it took a lot of heat. I started with a drop light for a few hours that did nothing. so I put my big Buddy heater ran it down in the bay for an hour last night. nothing happened then but in the morning time the water was flowing. so thank you all my black tank is still frozen I tried putting the drop light down in the wet Bay for several hours did nothing I will put the big Buddy heater on it maybe tomorrow.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:09 PM   #12

Sounds like you might have a broken water line, or at least a leaking water line. When I first got me new to me MH, if I left the water pump turned on it would run every time you moved, so I shut it off when not in use. turned out that I had a broken check valve on my water heater and when you moved it spill water out and turn on the pump. Replaced the valve and problem went away.
Don and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:22 PM   #13

At 8 deg F Pinks stuff goes solid. It does not expand like water so it does not break things.

FWIW feels cold as in wind chill is how fast something cools off. It still stops cooling when it reaches the measured temperature.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:06 PM   #14

Tank Heaters

If you don't have gray and black tank heating pads, you should purchase and install.

JohnnyB